M Square: Mixed-Use Development At 3200 Post Oak Blvd.

editor

1 hour ago, TheSirDingle said:

Haven't seen anything on construction, but I did find a new rendering on the 3200 post oak section of the McNair website: https://imgur.com/gallery/ZThocxu

XrG9z8G.jpeg

^^^ pretty much the same rendering/concept.  perhaps, a bit more high resolution.  definitely will be a GAME CHANGER for this burgeoning district.  let's keep hope alive...

• Like 9

7 hours ago, monarch said:

XrG9z8G.jpeg

^^^ pretty much the same rendering/concept.  perhaps, a bit more high resolution.  definitely will be a GAME CHANGER for this burgeoning district.  let's keep hope alive...

Wow, the taller building looks like somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 stories high, if not higher.  Anyone else know the exact height and number of floors ?  This will be a game changer in that area of town.  We'll take what we can get during this economic mess, but I'm still hoping for much higher towers in downtown than everything always being UNDER 50 stories.  Can I go even further to suggest a really supertall tower that Houston and Texas deserves and should have ?  Dare I wish for something higher than 75 floors one day, like say oh, I dunno maybe 115 floors with "shorter" towers around 85 to 95 floors one day in my fantasy future of downtown Houston.  Yes, it's good to dream, especially at this time, as long as we realize it's probably still a big fantasy for the near future.

• Like 7

I actually like the older rendering that looked more like a few 20-35 story towers. It had a better design IMO, but it stayed in its lane.

One thing I love about the Transco/Williams tower is how it stands alone. It's so dominating. It's such a beautiful and defining building for the area. Its presence is complimented so well by its design. I'll never forget the impact it had on me the first time my dad drove us by it when I was a kid, and as we went down Westheimer, I remember thinking "this is where I want to live when I grow up." And sure enough, here I am to this day.

This would be a nice building in another part of town (Upper Kirby area comes to mind), but it would at least somewhat diminish that commanding presence of the Transco/Williams tower moving forward. Although we've all seen worse (looking at you right up the street, Mercer), this design is nothing special.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ArtNsf said:

Wow, the taller building looks like somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 stories high, if not higher.  Anyone else know the exact height and number of floors ?  This will be a game changer in that area of town.  We'll take what we can get during this economic mess, but I'm still hoping for much higher towers in downtown than everything always being UNDER 50 stories.  Can I go even further to suggest a really supertall tower that Houston and Texas deserves and should have ?  Dare I wish for something higher than 75 floors one day, like say oh, I dunno maybe 115 floors with "shorter" towers around 85 to 95 floors one day in my fantasy future of downtown Houston.  Yes, it's good to dream, especially at this time, as long as we realize it's probably still a big fantasy for the near future.

Previous posts have the floor counts as 51, 33, and 18. Same rendering I hope it makes it. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ZRFkris said:

I think it would be really cool to have another high rise development on the Dillard’s lot. This would really frame the Williams tower nicely along with this development. 

Dillard’s has a sweetheart ground lease from waaaaay back when the site was branded for Joske’s. I think the term is up in the 2040’s or 2050’s. I agree it’d be ripe for redevelopment if the ground lease is bought out, similar to what happened with the Ion at the old Sears site in Midtown.

Edited by houstontexasjack
  • Like 5
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, por favor gracias said:

I actually like the older rendering that looked more like a few 20-35 story towers. It had a better design IMO, but it stayed in its lane.

One thing I love about the Transco/Williams tower is how it stands alone. It's so dominating. It's such a beautiful and defining building for the area. Its presence is complimented so well by its design. I'll never forget the impact it had on me the first time my dad drove us by it when I was a kid, and as we went down Westheimer, I remember thinking "this is where I want to live when I grow up." And sure enough, here I am to this day.

This would be a nice building in another part of town (Upper Kirby area comes to mind), but it would at least somewhat diminish that commanding presence of the Transco/Williams tower moving forward. Although we've all seen worse (looking at you right up the street, Mercer), this design is nothing special.

The 901' Williams Tower will still command it's presence in the Uptown area for a long time. The only thing to come remotely close in height would have been the new Chevron Tower, Downtown. At a height of 859' and +$100 oil, even if next door, would allow plenty of crown height and circling lighthouse light room.

Who knows if/when the project will be built at the current height. It's good to get some density on this side of the Galleria since the gap between the Williams Tower & the ugly condo towers along 59 is wide.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Montrose1100 said:

The 901' Williams Tower will still command it's presence in the Uptown area for a long time. The only thing to come remotely close in height would have been the new Chevron Tower, Downtown. At a height of 859' and +$100 oil, even if next door, would allow plenty of crown height and circling lighthouse light room.

Who knows if/when the project will be built at the current height. It's good to get some density on this side of the Galleria since the gap between the Williams Tower & the ugly condo towers along 59 is wide.

This will fill the gap in this area if it goes forward, no doubt...as would the Chevron Tower for that part of downtown had it been built.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, por favor gracias said:

I'll never forget the impact it had on me the first time my dad drove us by it when I was a kid, and as we went down Westheimer, I remember thinking "this is where I want to live when I grow up." And sure enough, here I am to this day.

haha! SAME! i would be with family or friends driving on 610 and look over and say wow i want to live by that building and in that part of town and yep...for 24 years now i have lived in the best part of town in my opinion :) (and as a bonus the condo i bought 2 years ago on the same street i have lived on for 24 years has a view of the Williams Tower from my living room and bedroom!)

• Like 4

2 hours ago, gene said:

haha! SAME! i would be with family or friends driving on 610 and look over and say wow i want to live by that building and in that part of town and yep...for 24 years now i have lived in the best part of town in my opinion :) (and as a bonus the condo i bought 2 years ago on the same street i have lived on for 24 years has a view of the Williams Tower from my living room and bedroom!)

That's awesome...congrats!

The Transco Tower is like Houston's compass to me...when I see it, I know I'm close to home.

I grew up in Kingwood, and had been downtown and the Astrodome/AstroWorld area several times, but never really knew about the galleria area until I was about 12 or so. It seemed so much more vibrant at the time (late 80's/early 90's). I knew that everything I need would be close, and all the restaurants gave me so many options.

Back then though, downtown was a dead zone. I love where I'm at, and it's perfect for me location wise...but I'd actually rather live between downtown and the Museum District these days.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

awesome...i grew up in the woodlands but basically lived at that Bennigans by you on 1960/59 with all my friends that lived in Kingwood! if you ever went to the bar area i was there! back then you and i only had our malls to hang out at for the most part (Woodlands Mall/Deerbrook Mall) but of course both areas are now super developed...so much has changed for the woodlands area at least from what i see first hand when visiting my family. 

i do really like downtown, montrose and the museum district but to visit and hang out, never had the desire to live there. 

and edited to make this all relevant to the topic again...

i really do hope they start work on this McNair project. it was so exciting when they first announced it but hard to stay excited when so many obstacles are in the way and happening.

Edited by gene
  • Like 4

21 hours ago, por favor gracias said:

That's awesome...congrats!

The Transco Tower is like Houston's compass to me...when I see it, I know I'm close to home.

I grew up in Kingwood, and had been downtown and the Astrodome/AstroWorld area several times, but never really knew about the galleria area until I was about 12 or so. It seemed so much more vibrant at the time (late 80's/early 90's). I knew that everything I need would be close, and all the restaurants gave me so many options.

Back then though, downtown was a dead zone. I love where I'm at, and it's perfect for me location wise...but I'd actually rather live between downtown and the Museum District these days.

Awesome, I'm not the only person here who still calls it the right name. It will always be the Transco Tower to me. Along with the Republic Bank building, the Allied Bank building, the Texas Commerce Tower, etc.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/13/2020 at 9:40 AM, Ross said:

Awesome, I'm not the only person here who still calls it the right name. It will always be the Transco Tower to me. Along with the Republic Bank building, the Allied Bank building, the Texas Commerce Tower, etc.

I still call 'Lakewood/Compaq Center'  The Summit.

• Like 5

That project task on the Site Notice says they are moving utility poles and relocating McCue. That would only happen if this was moving forward. This is the early works stuff they have to get out of the way. I don't see how that takes five months but glad to see movement.

• Like 8

44 minutes ago, thatguysly said:

That project task on the Site Notice says they are moving utility poles and relocating McCue. That would only happen if this was moving forward. This is the early works stuff they have to get out of the way. I don't see how that takes five months but glad to see movement.

I imagine they allow themselves some considerable cushion and don't really plan for it to take 5 months (and we're already 2 weeks + into the time period).  I presume they will move McCue to the western end of the property?

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

I imagine they allow themselves some considerable cushion and don't really plan for it to take 5 months (and we're already 2 weeks + into the time period).  I presume they will move McCue to the western end of the property?

Yeah that time frame is an estimate and doesn't mean much if you end early. They have to allow time for restoration as well if they don't just pave it all or move to the next phase right away. 

• Like 3