Car Talk → 2022

Subdude

Tesla is my dream brand and I'll buy one when I can afford it; however, I think this door decision was a bad idea. I'd prefer to have standard doors, at least as an option. Besides that, the vehicle is great.

Edited by Triton

They supposedly are smart doors so they can still open if you're really close to someone else - but I'd like to see them in a parking garage with a low ceiling and close cars on each side - if they still work there than those are good doors

They will work there due to ultrasonic sensors. They will stop if they are about to hit a ceiling. But yes, there are many parking garages, especially the older ones in downtown Houston, that it could be pretty close to hitting the ceiling. Besides that though, I just feel like this should have been an optional feature. I feel like this will turn some people off who planned on buying the Model X. What if your car flips over on it's roof then? The back passengers will be unable to get out unless going through the front. How often does that even happen Triton? True... but there are reasons why falcon wings aren't regular on vehicles.

5 kias? must be fully optioned and paying MSRP.

you can get the hamster kia for close to 16k, you could get 8 of them. although, with Houston, I'd suggest getting 5 of the hamster dance kias, and one fully optioned jeep wrangler.

Edited by samagon

• 1 month later...

For tall people above 6'4 (if any of you exist), what's the best car (read: only) is that you can fit in? I've tried out a few Mazdas and the leg room in those cars is pretty decent.

I have the same problem. I've found Mazda 6 good, Accords are so so. My Nissan Leaf surprisingly has decent leg room. I think I remember the Ford Fusion being doable.

For tall people above 6'4 (if any of you exist), what's the best car (read: only) is that you can fit in? I've tried out a few Mazdas and the leg room in those cars is pretty decent.

Sometimes the cars with the most leg room are not obvious. I'm 6'2", and drove a Honda CRX for years. People would regularly express disbelief that I could fit comfortably in it, but there was more than enough leg room for someone several inches taller than I am. Head room might have been a different story. 

I have the same problem. I've found Mazda 6 good, Accords are so so. My Nissan Leaf surprisingly has decent leg room. I think I remember the Ford Fusion being doable.

The current Accord, Civic and eight gen Accord has ample leg room. Seventh gen Accord is OK,  but sixth gen is where things become tight.

Honda Insight is terrible, not only in leg room but also in head room.

Other cars with decent/ok leg room that I can speak for -- Buick Regal, current gen Chrysler 200, current gen Ford Focus. I'm 6'3.

• 2 weeks later...

Volvo unveiled the 2017 S90. Nice looking car. I like how the beltline doesn't have the tendency to go upward and make the side and rear windows into slits, forsaking any visibility for style.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/12/2/9837424/volvo-s90-sedan-announced-detroit-auto-show-2016

True, but to me the design is kind of generic 2015 luxury car.  Not bad, but at first glance not terribly different from the Hyundai Genesis or VW Passat.

2015-hyundai-genesis-korean-spec_1004481

Buy Volvos.

They're boxy

but they're good.

We know they're not sexy

this is not a smart time to be sexy anyway

with so many new diseases around

Be safe instead of sexy

It's funny, but I think Volvo made their biggest mistake when they stopped being boxy and sensible in favor of trying to be stylish to compete with luxury brands.  I'm sure they thought it made sense from a profitability viewpoint, but it was a big bet that hasn't exactly panned out.  They pretty much gave away the segment for cars that were seen as plain and sensible to Subaru, which has been setting new sales records every year.  Fifteen years ago a lot of those Subaru owners would have been driving Volvos.

Don't laugh - there was a time when the idea of a Toyota that competed head to head with Mercedes seemed far fetched.

There was likewise a time when the idea of a Toyota that competed head to head with Ford and Chevrolet seemed farfetched. The Japanese auto industry has come a long way in the past forty years, and I don't doubt that the Korean auto industry will reach similar milestones sooner rather than later. 

• 4 weeks later...