Car Talk → 2022

Subdude

My crazy car would be an auction police package crown vic with the supercharged 5.4 out of the cobra. talk about a sleeper, people would look at it and assume it was just a cheap transportation box with a fun light on the a pillar, then zoooooooooooom!!! and eventually crash because the suspension is clapped out, but let's not talk about that part, obviously there's still some kinks to work out. Luckily I have time to work this stuff out cause I haven't reached unlimited funds yet.

You know the fun thing about driving in the city is it's all about the strategy, not the horsepower.  I can smoke a vette with my minivan when there's traffic and lights to counter the horsepower.

You know the fun thing about driving in the city is it's all about the strategy, not the horsepower.  I can smoke a vette with my minivan when there's traffic and lights to counter the horsepower.

It's all the perspective. The guy in the vette is probably thinking to himself "that guy in the minivan sure is a brilliant strategist, but then, I'm in a vette".

Me, I like to surprise people, that's why I don't use my blinkers.

just kidding, I don't use my blinkers cause I'm lazy and forgetful.

• Like 2

As the old saying goes, it's a lot more fun to drive a slow car fast than it is to drive a fast car slow. 

Gah..

"For the customer who might feel as though this car doesn’t grab enough eyeballs, the brand offers an enhanced version of full-LED headlights that are accentuated by 47 cut-glass elements supplied by the Austrian company Swarovski. The lighting units house 30 crystals that serve as turn indicators, while the other 17 combine to make up the daytime running lights."

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2015-mercedes-benz-s-class-coupe-photos-and-info-news

It even perfumes the air..

Both of these features would have been at home on a Maybach. Still, the S-Klasse is the showcase model for Mercedes, and they've never been shy about packing it with new features. Bet it'll be a while before we see Swarovski crystals on a Genesis or Lexus. 

The new S looks very nice judging from the rear three-quarter view. But if I were among the independently wealthy, I might prefer something a bit more subtle for daily driving:

used-1979-mercedes~benz-6.9-450sel-5973-

My crazy car would be an auction police package crown vic with the supercharged 5.4 out of the cobra. talk about a sleeper, people would look at it and assume it was just a cheap transportation box with a fun light on the a pillar, then zoooooooooooom!!! and eventually crash because the suspension is clapped out, but let's not talk about that part, obviously there's still some kinks to work out. Luckily I have time to work this stuff out cause I haven't reached unlimited funds yet.

I like speed and comfort. I'd like to do the same thing, except use a Lincoln Town Car. Seems like every Ford Panther chassis fan can mod a CV (Crown Vic) handed down to them by grandma, or a CVPI (Crown Vic Police Interceptor), but why not a Town Car?  There's just something about a big, fast, American land barge. It's nearly mechanically identical to the Crown Vic save a few bits. Put a 5.4 in it, large front sway bar used in the fleet versions of the Crown Vic, rear sway bar from the Mercury Marauder, stiffer P71 (Crown Vic police interceptor) springs, heavy duty shocks, and you'd have the North American answer to the S65 AMG. B)

Now the question is, is that a rear bumper, a coffee table, or an ottoman?

:D

Those are battering rams! Most US spec MBs from 1974 to 1991 had bumpers that were longer and larger than their Euro spec counterparts due to Federal Regs. Some like the slim Euro look. I like the US look. I guess that's because I'm used to seeing them, and US spec bumpers have saved me from bad Houston drivers a few times in my MBs. :o

• Like 1

It's all the perspective. The guy in the vette is probably thinking to himself "that guy in the minivan sure is a brilliant strategist, but then, I'm in a vette".

Me, I like to surprise people, that's why I don't use my blinkers.

just kidding, I don't use my blinkers cause I'm lazy and forgetful.

Are you talking about those flashy light thingies on the car's corners?  I thought it was illegal to use them in Houston.  :ph34r:

What are the odds that I would see a merc 300 sel (it was certainly older than the one pictured cause it didn't have the coffee table bumper, it had a tiny chrome bumper) while at lunch today? From the outward appearance, the guy took care of it.

Like this one? Surviving examples tend to be well-maintained, as they're fantastic cars and quite collectible (the ones with the big M100 engine obviously command a premium) . IIRC they were the last generation of Mercedes that were essentially hand-built. 

IMG_3755-m100.jpg

• Like 1

I like speed and comfort. I'd like to do the same thing, except use a Lincoln Town Car. Seems like every Ford Panther chassis fan can mod a CV (Crown Vic) handed down to them by grandma, or a CVPI (Crown Vic Police Interceptor), but why not a Town Car?  There's just something about a big, fast, American land barge. It's nearly mechanically identical to the Crown Vic save a few bits. Put a 5.4 in it, large front sway bar used in the fleet versions of the Crown Vic, rear sway bar from the Mercury Marauder, stiffer P71 (Crown Vic police interceptor) springs, heavy duty shocks, and you'd have the North American answer to the S65 AMG. B)

That would be quite a nice sleeper. I guess not too many people remember the old song "Hot Rod Lincoln" any more.  :)

Like this one? Surviving examples tend to be well-maintained, as they're fantastic cars and quite collectible (the ones with the big M100 engine obviously command a premium) . IIRC they were the last generation of Mercedes that were essentially hand-built. 

IMG_3755-m100.jpg

Just like that one, only difference was it was light brown.

I got to drive a 300SE 6.3 about 5 years ago when the car was almost 40 years old. It had been well maintained of course. The experience was amazing. The ride compared well to any modern luxury car and the power was phenomenal. I got it up to a very super-legal speed on the highway and it seemed to just beg for more. It was also incredibly stable without all the electronic 'nanny' devices. The only downside: the car was pretty much good for 10-12mpg tops. Then again, if a person could afford a $15,000 car in 1970 gasoline prices weren't much of a concern.

Just like that one, only difference was it was light brown.

Those old Mercedes were so cool.  Rather than the luxury barges of the period they were small, tight, restrained in design and well-engineered.  I always find it sad that Mercedes has moved to the overwrought designs they currently use.  

And speaking of car manufacturers tossing their reputation away for flash, the 2015 Volvo XC90.

14-volvo-xc90.jpg?itok=lgTBKNjg

fvdkly5wtkbeo9412haf.jpg

Volvo has been moving upscale for a while now. The xc70 is really the only thing left in their lineup that I'd consider reminiscent of a real volvo.

And simultaneously losing market share.  I wouldn't be surprised to see them vanish from these shores in a couple of years.  It's odd really.  With its somewhat nerdly looking cars Volvo had a lock on the college professor/aging hippie market for a long time.  I think their product strategists read one too many articles saying something like "Volvo could be stylish as well as safe" (and there's been thousands of those articles).  They probably figured that they could keep their market segment while at the same time picking up market share and margin in the low end of the luxury market.  I guess it never occurred to them that those boxy cars were an asset to their target market segment, not a liability.  Now  they no longer look distinctive (boxy), the college professors and aging hippies have moved on to Subaru or whatnot, and it's not like they're stealing a lot of sales from Mercedes or Lexus.  Poor strategic planning all around.  

Anyone have a story like this? Woke up this morning and on my way to school I get a call from a really angry dude saying I hit his car and took his bumper off. As I'm trying to explain I have no idea what he's talking about, he says he has a note "I left" at the scene with my number on it and kept asking me for my insurance. I keep telling him I have no idea what the hell is going on and he starts to get really angry, to which I respond "alright let's calm down and figure this out" Then he starts laughing and I hear an automated voice go "You've just been pranked!" 

What the hell kind of prank is that? I've never heard of anything like that, but job well done because it definitely scared the shit out of me

• Like 1

Anyone have a story like this? Woke up this morning and on my way to school I get a call from a really angry dude saying I hit his car and took his bumper off. As I'm trying to explain I have no idea what he's talking about, he says he has a note "I left" at the scene with my number on it and kept asking me for my insurance. I keep telling him I have no idea what the hell is going on and he starts to get really angry, to which I respond "alright let's calm down and figure this out" Then he starts laughing and I hear an automated voice go "You've just been pranked!"

What the hell kind of prank is that? I've never heard of anything like that, but job well done because it definitely scared the shit out of me

Sounds like it's related to those virtual kidnappings brought to you by Los zetas.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Really.  They would find it embarrassing nowadays to use a name like Sedan DeVille or Fleetwood Brougham.  

I was thinking of other names they could've used like Calais, or Sixteen. Heck, if they wanted to stay with the alphanumeric scheme and have a nod to the past, CT60 would've worked. The 60 would've been a nod to the 60 series from the days when Cadillac was seen as being on par with Rolls Royce.

I was thinking of other names they could've used like Calais, or Sixteen. Heck, if they wanted to stay with the alphanumeric scheme and have a nod to the past, CT60 would've worked. The 60 would've been a nod to the 60 series from the days when Cadillac was seen as being on par with Rolls Royce.

Yep.  

The CTS coupe (at least the newer incarnation in CTS-V trim) would wear an Eldorado badge pretty well, too.

Yep.  

The CTS coupe (at least the newer incarnation in CTS-V trim) would wear an Eldorado badge pretty well, too.

If the Elmiraj concept was built, it would've carried the Eldorado name with pride. With this new nomenclature scheme at Caddy, most of their vehicles will adopt a CTx scheme for new names in the next few years, with x being a number. The ATS and CTS will change into something like CT1 and CT2, but the Escalade will keep its name.

Edited by JLWM8609

If the Elmiraj concept was built, it would've carried the Eldorado name with pride. With this new nomenclature scheme at Caddy, most of their vehicles will adopt a CTx scheme for new names in the next few years, with x being a number. The ATS and CTS will change into something like CT1 and CT2, but the Escalade will keep its name.

Dangit.  It's right up there with the Infiniti Qwhateverthehellitis.

I've been driving cars with numbers on the trunk lid for years (and as they have always had).  I recall when "tii" meant Touring International (the speed kit) Injected (an even more serious speed kit).  Frankly, I'm a bit annoyed that they keep putting "i" on the end.  Injection quit being special when I was a lot younger and skinnier.

• Like 1

Dangit.  It's right up there with the Infiniti Qwhateverthehellitis.

I've been driving cars with numbers on the trunk lid for years (and as they have always had).  I recall when "tii" meant Touring International (the speed kit) Injected (an even more serious speed kit).  Frankly, I'm a bit annoyed that they keep putting "i" on the end.  Injection quit being special when I was a lot younger and skinnier.

Makes sense as Johan de Nysschen, who was head of Infiniti when the Q-ization took place, is now head of Cadillac.