Car Talk → 2022

Subdude

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Why has this thread died?

If you're still interested in cars (exotics, customs, etc) check out a friend of mine's new site, www.egarage.com . They've already been sourced more than once on Autoblog and Jalopnik and have some exclusive content on ultra exotics like the new SSC Tuatara. The site is amazing, the content is amazing, the guys that run it are pretty epic too.

• 2 months later...

Why has this thread died?

Forgot about this thread, guess it's time for revival. LA Auto Show is coming up as well.

2013 BMW 3-Series

2012-BMW-Series-74.jpg

http://carscoop.blog...ation-of-3.html

2013 Volkswagen CC Facelift

2013-VW-CC-9.jpg

http://carscoop.blog...t-unveiled.html

2013 Audi A4 - Allroad Wagon Coming Back to America

Audi-A4-07.jpg

http://carscoop.blog...ersions-of.html

I have a 2009 CC V6, and that refresh is a miss. I like the LED tailamps and wheels, but the front end is taking one of the best parts of the CC and taking all the character out of it. I figured that front end was coming when the Passat was introduced with it, but *sigh* it makes me sad. But happy I have mine!

I have a 2009 CC V6, and that refresh is a miss. I like the LED tailamps and wheels, but the front end is taking one of the best parts of the CC and taking all the character out of it. I figured that front end was coming when the Passat was introduced with it, but *sigh* it makes me sad. But happy I have mine!

I agree -- I love the current CC but the refreshed front end is a miss......similar to my feelings for the new A5/S5 (and to a lesser degree, the A4/S4) refresh....don't like it at all.....has Audi/VW fired their good designers and hired some "new" ones ?

I agree -- I love the current CC but the refreshed front end is a miss......similar to my feelings for the new A5/S5 (and to a lesser degree, the A4/S4) refresh....don't like it at all.....has Audi/VW fired their good designers and hired some "new" ones ?

My feeling is that sometimes the manufacturers achieve near perfection with a particular design. Because they need to refresh it after a few years, they "refine" it to the point that they actually undo some of the great things about the original. Back in the day, when Honda had great designs, they were guilty of this as well. Updated wheels and lights usually looked tacked on and not nearly as nice as what they started with.

It seems like carmakers feel more of a need to create "brand identities" these days. In my opinion, Honda/Acura and Volkswagen have suffered as a result, because they've chosen identities that are ugly or bland compared to the vehicle designs they replaced.

I personally don't see why I'd want a car that follows the same design cues as every other car in that automaker's lineup...some distinctiveness is a good thing IMO.

I personally don't see why I'd want a car that follows the same design cues as every other car in that automaker's lineup...some distinctiveness is a good thing IMO.

Well, design cues across a brand don't have to be exactly identical. Cadillac has their vertical tail lights, but a XTS is not going to look the same as the CTS in the rear, there's a little bit of variation in there.

• 1 month later...

2013 Lincoln MKZ. I think they're going to regret that grill.

2013-lincoln-mkz_100376968_l.jpg

2013-lincoln-mkz_100376971_l.jpg

As much as car designers like to bang on about 'Design DNA', it is always surprising how much current auto design across many makes gravitates to the same set of elements: rising beltline echoed by bodyside and rocker panel creases, short deck / long hood proportions, headlights climbing up the fender, and semi-fastback roofline. Just compare the ATS, Fusion/Mondeo, Dart and VW CC above.

• 1 year later...

Wow - it's really different !!   /s

I was reading about it on another site -- there are apparently a lot of changes under the skin....still a fun go-kart for grown ups !!

This one is fine, but Mini seems to have had a hard time coming up with other models that aren't atrocious looking.

So the SLS will be going away - I think it's a ridiculous car but I have a soft spot for those wings!

http://jalopnik.com/its-the-end-of-the-road-for-the-mercedes-sls-amg-1463157436

I have only seen one of these in person - the driver was actually driving the wrong way down a one-way road - I had to pull over so he could pass -- it was a stunning car in person (bad driver though!!)....it is hard to tell from pictures what a presence the car has...

• Like 1