Car Talk → 2022

Subdude

One styling trend I really like is the more creative use of lighting on new cars. This is really starting to become as much of a brand statement as the common grill shape or (the bad trend) of taking the same car and blowing it up to 120% (7-series), or shrinking it to 70% (3-series).

IMO, BMW started it with the angel eyes way back in 2001ish, and now it is finally catching on with nearly all automakers. Cooler shapes and lighting of taillights, LED DRLs (which are running the risk of becoming passe), LEDs all over the interior, etc.

While I'm a bit partial, I thnk VW/Audi has nailed it. My CC doesn't have LED taillights, but I love the "alien-eyes" effect at night. My favorite might be the 2011 Q7's taillights. Beautiful!

Agreed that use of lighting is one area where car design has improved. Shortly full LED headlights will be common. Ever notice how may taillights embed circular forms?

2012 Ford C-Max,

Link

We had a Mazda5 rental a couple of years ago, and I was impressed with it, though it was pretty underpowered. If you have a small family, it really does fit the bill. Hopefully by adding a second model in this niche, more attention will be paid. I would really like to see the German automakers get into this segment as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I think that's what they want - to have the Passat seen as a Camry alternative.

Thats pretty much what they want, their will be a 7k price cut from the 2012 Passat to better compete with other midsize sedans. Current one starts at 27k.

Edited by Urbannizer

• 4 weeks later...