Car Talk → 2022

Subdude

I jsut read on VWVortex that the Golf Cabrio is coming back. If they can get the cost down, it will be a sure hit. But where does that leave the EOS? I know they don't run in the same circles, but I think a lot of people (i.e., women) buy an EOS but would be perfectly happy with a cheaper Cabrio. Or maybe it will be another Europe-only option. All I know is VW has some pretty serious sales goals and they aren't going to make it with the Jetta and NMS alone!

Autoblog has a rumor that VW is interested in buying Ferrari from Fiat.

Autoblog has a rumor that VW is interested in buying Ferrari from Fiat.

This isn't likely to happen considering that VW owns Lamborghini.

If they do... I wonder what kind of effect this will have the designs of both VW and Ferrari.

In the unlikely event that it were to happen, it would be combining of engineering rather than design.

This isn't likely to happen considering that VW owns Lamborghini.

Boy, I wouldn't be too sure. VW has proven a lot more interested in expanding its portfolio than worrying about competition with itself. They also have Bugatti competing in the high-end market, and Skoda and, to a lesser degree Seat compete with VW.

Boy, I wouldn't be too sure. VW has proven a lot more interested in expanding its portfolio than worrying about competition with itself. They also have Bugatti competing in the high-end market, and Skoda and, to a lesser degree Seat compete with VW.

Yes, but they don't have apples to apples competitors within their brand.

Seat and VW aren't direct competitors.

VW > Audi > Bentley

Porsche > Lamborghini > Bugatti

Skoda and Seat have automobiles in similar segments, but they aren't direct competition.

Them buying Ferrari would give them two ultra-competitive brands in the same market.

What they might do is simply buy an equity stake to piggy back on Fiat's most profitable brand.

Fact is, we won't know until the silly Europeans do something silly. I think it would be tragic though. Part of what has kept both companies innovating is their competition with each other (Lamborghini and Ferrari).

Subdude...looks like you're more on point that I thought...

Marchionne admits Fiat might sell of Ferrari ahead of merger

It still doesn't make sense to me. The idea of Ferrari and Lamborghini being head to head competitors within the same company just seems nutty.

That said, no matter which car one chooses to buy, VW wins, so who knows.

I do know that buying Ferrari would barely dent VW's cash position though.

Seat and VW aren't direct competitors.

VW > Audi > Bentley

Porsche > Lamborghini > Bugatti

Skoda and Seat have automobiles in similar segments, but they aren't direct competition.

Skoda especially has a lot of overlap with VW. After all they're all built on the same platforms. One reason that Skoda has become so popular is that people view it as a way to buy VWs for less.

There are many many examples of direct competitors being sold within the same company (witness Peugeot Citroen), but after GM pruned its brands VW seems the most extreme case.

• 3 weeks later...

No pics of the BMW 1 M Coupe yet?

BMW M-Modified 1 Series.

34-2012-bmw-1-series-m-coupe.jpg

68-2012-bmw-1-series-m-coupe.jpg

39-2012-bmw-1-series-m-coupe.jpg

The 1 Series M Coupe uses BMW's twin-turbocharged 3.0-liter inline-six, and while early estimates had the car pumping out as much as 350 horsepower, the final numbers are: 335 hp and 332 pound-feet of torque – exactly what you get out of this engine in the current Z4 sDrive35is The car's ECU has an overboost function that provides an additional 37 lb-ft of twist at full tilt, and with your foot pressed hard into the right pedal, 0-60 will happen in just 4.7 seconds. Top speed is electronically limited at – you guessed it – 155 miles per hour.

Link

One styling trend I really like is the more creative use of lighting on new cars. This is really starting to become as much of a brand statement as the common grill shape or (the bad trend) of taking the same car and blowing it up to 120% (7-series), or shrinking it to 70% (3-series).

IMO, BMW started it with the angel eyes way back in 2001ish, and now it is finally catching on with nearly all automakers. Cooler shapes and lighting of taillights, LED DRLs (which are running the risk of becoming passe), LEDs all over the interior, etc.

While I'm a bit partial, I thnk VW/Audi has nailed it. My CC doesn't have LED taillights, but I love the "alien-eyes" effect at night. My favorite might be the 2011 Q7's taillights. Beautiful!

2011_audi_q7_3_0_tdi_quattro_diesel_s_line_18_cd_gallery.jpg

47276_volkswagen_gtd_ledtaillights_01-4b77a9fc5cc13-625x360.jpg

Edited by travelguy_73

I have to agree with you travelguy. The way Audi makes their headlights/LEDs with the little curve at the bottom makes it look like it's not had enough sleep and is pi$$ed. I love it. Also, I think I saw a Bentley or an Aston Martin with some mean looking LEDs up front. Nice.