Car Talk → 2022

Subdude

If the Elmiraj concept was built, it would've carried the Eldorado name with pride. With this new nomenclature scheme at Caddy, most of their vehicles will adopt a CTx scheme for new names in the next few years, with x being a number. The ATS and CTS will change into something like CT1 and CT2, but the Escalade will keep its name.

I'm not sure I see how it's a big improvement over their current names but whatever.  Maybe the idea is to denote the sales price hierarchy.  I think that Mercedes is also about to change their naming system. 

Here is the new XE, Jaguar's latest attempt to compete against the 3-Series or 4-Series or whatever it is now.  To me it looks just like the small Volvo.  These luxury manufacturers might do better not to copy each other so much.

Jaguar-XE-2015-2-web1.jpg?w=514

2016-jaguar-xe-review-1024x640.jpg

jag-xe-lead.jpg

Dangit.  It's right up there with the Infiniti Qwhateverthehellitis.

I've been driving cars with numbers on the trunk lid for years (and as they have always had).  I recall when "tii" meant Touring International (the speed kit) Injected (an even more serious speed kit).  Frankly, I'm a bit annoyed that they keep putting "i" on the end.  Injection quit being special when I was a lot younger and skinnier.

...and the numbers now aren't even based on engine size like they used to be....just an arbitrary number to show rank amongst their siblings....

...and the numbers now aren't even based on engine size like they used to be....just an arbitrary number to show rank amongst their siblings....

Up until the early 90s, Mercedes-Benz used a relatively straightforward scheme based on engine size and vehicle body for their models. There were a few instances where the model number didn't match the engine size, but they fixed that by putting the engine displacement on the trunklid opposite of the model number. For example, there was the 300E 2.6, 190D 2.5 Turbo, 280SEL 4.5, and the 450SEL 6.9.

Up until the early 90s, Mercedes-Benz used a relatively straightforward scheme based on engine size and vehicle body for their models. There were a few instances where the model number didn't match the engine size, but they fixed that by putting the engine displacement on the trunklid opposite of the model number. For example, there was the 300E 2.6, 190D 2.5 Turbo, 280SEL 4.5, and the 450SEL 6.9.

BMW did a similar naming scheme until recently....I guess as the engines have been getting smaller (albeit more powerful with turbos and such) they didn't want their model numbers going down....mostly doesn't matter to the normal buying public who buy based on the badge on the hood and couldn't care a less what the model name/number is on the trunk.

BMW is updating their 3-series shortly with new engines....the 328 will be called 330 (with a 2.0l engine) and the 335 will become the 340 (still with a 3.0l)....

Edited by HoustonMidtown
  • Like 1

BMW did a similar naming scheme until recently....I guess as the engines have been getting smaller (albeit more powerful with turbos and such) they didn't want their model numbers going down....mostly doesn't matter to the normal buying public who buy based on the badge on the hood and couldn't care a less what the model name/number is on the trunk.

BMW is updating their 3-series shortly with new engines....the 328 will be called 330 (with a 2.0l engine) and the 335 will become the 340 (still with a 3.0l)....

MB threw its naming convention out with one of its newer models.The new CLA45 AMG's model number refers to the 450 newton meters of torque that the twin-scroll turbocharged 2.0L 4 banger (which is not a tuned version of the 2.0L I4 engine found in its non AMG brother) puts out.

Edited by JLWM8609

MB threw its naming convention out with one of its newer models.The new CLA45 AMG's model number refers to the 450 newton meters of torque that the twin-scroll turbocharged 2.0L 4 banger (which is not a tuned version of the 2.0L I4 engine found in its non AMG brother) puts out.

I wondered where they came up with the "45".....interesting

So, now Cadillac says the CT6 won't be their flagship after all. The CT8 or CT9 will come out around 2020. Then, a Cruze based model positioned below the ATS will be coming out in 2017. Sounds like the Cimarron all over again.  :wacko:

http://jalopnik.com/cadillacs-real-flagship-isnt-coming-until-the-end-of-th-1644985358?utm_campaign=socialflow_jalopnik_facebook&utm_source=jalopnik_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

Edited by JLWM8609

cimarron, catera, they are destined to continue making the same mistakes. 

I'm not entirely sure who makes these decisions, and in what world they can possibly conceive that it's a good idea.

Okay guys, the cadillac brand is starting to be seen as a good brand again, let's dump some poop on them and see if they even notice!

So, now Cadillac says the CT6 won't be their flagship after all. The CT8 or CT9 will come out around 2020. Then, a Cruze based model positioned below the ATS will be coming out in 2017. Sounds like the Cimarron all over again.  :wacko:

http://jalopnik.com/cadillacs-real-flagship-isnt-coming-until-the-end-of-th-1644985358?utm_campaign=socialflow_jalopnik_facebook&utm_source=jalopnik_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

Well in general there has been a huge increase in the number of models that each luxury manufacturer feels they need to carry, so I assume Cadillac feels they have to expand their range to compete.  They're in a tough spot though, given how Cadillac sales have dropped so much recently. 

• 1 month later...

I'm surprised nobody mentioned the recent passing of Tom Magliozzi, especially since this thread shares the same name of Tom and Ray's legendary radio show.

http://www.npr.org/2014/11/03/357428287/tom-magliozzi-popular-co-host-of-nprs-car-talk-dies-at-77?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=202503

Always loved their show. He will be missed. 

I'm surprised nobody mentioned the recent passing of Tom Magliozzi, especially since this thread shares the same name of Tom and Ray's legendary radio show.

http://www.npr.org/2014/11/03/357428287/tom-magliozzi-popular-co-host-of-nprs-car-talk-dies-at-77?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=202503

• 3 weeks later...

The answer to a question nobody asked.  

I mean seriously, does Mercedes really need this?

Supposedly BMW makes money on their X6 (so they now also have an X4) so I guess MB said we want a slice of that very small pie...I personally find them ugly and a waste of money....less room and less function than their SUV counterpart, but more money.....and calling it a "coupe" ??

Edited by HoustonMidtown

BMW might well make money on the X6, as they might make money selling drugs or contract killing, but it still doesn't make it right.  

Unfortunately Audi is planning something much the same, so that poseurs might have yet more choices.

audi-q6-rendering-48122_1.jpg

Btw, while BMW gets the credit (blame) for these things, the true originator was the 2005 Ssangyong Actyon and arguably, the Pontiac Aztek.  Strange fruit indeed.

238934.jpg

2001-pontiac-aztek_100028861_m.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Buick unveiled two cars this week. One is a RWD concept, the other is a production vehicle that's basically an Opel with Buick logos.

2016 Buick Cascada (known as the Opel Cascada elsewhere)

http://jalopnik.com/2016-buick-cascada-this-is-it-1678788536

1073079751835714849.jpg

Buick Avenir Concept

http://jalopnik.com/buick-avenir-concept-the-gorgeous-rwd-buick-weve-been-1678872596

ioxjikb9b325cvbplniz.jpg

• 5 weeks later...