Car Talk → 2022

Subdude

They're finally starting to build some decent cars again.  Not quite enough glass for my taste, but that's a matter of taste - I realize that there are others who somehow feel safer when the window sill comes up to their ears.

Now, can we do something with how GM and their dealers handle service and warranty issues?  

The Director of Domestic Bliss has a Caddy.  I won't name the dealer, but it took me getting involved (and acknowledging that yes, indeed, that is a law firm with my name on the letterhead in the email address) to get them to honor an obvious defect that came within the plain language of the warranty.  "They all do that" still isn't a good reason not to fix something.  There is apparently an entire BOOK concerning what actually falls in and out of the "bumper to bumper" coverage GM advertises.  Then, when it came time to pick the car up, there was about the goofiest question/comment I've heard:  "We noticed that the carpet on the (rarely used) passenger side is wet because the sunroof is leaking.  Are you going to want to do something about it?"  This was asked in the service drive, two or three days after the original promised-by date.  This garbage never happens to me with my Competing Imported Brand (eye roll).

Delivering superior customer service is probably the single biggest thing that can be done to engender fanatical customer loyalty. You'd think GM would recognize that their commendable efforts to build cars that can compete globally are significantly hindered by an often-crappy experience at the dealer. I understand that it takes time for a ship as large as GM to change course, but culture changes don't start until the helmsman gets the ball rolling. 

Honda used to be legendary for customer service, and the stark contrast this provided with domestic dealers in the 70s and 80s combined with their cars' well-earned reputation for economy and superior engineering built multi-generational customer loyalty. But they've lost their way over the past 10-15 years, and I'm not sure who would be considered the new paragon of customer service in the auto industry now. 

Honda used to be legendary for customer service, and the stark contrast this provided with domestic dealers in the 70s and 80s combined with their cars' well-earned reputation for economy and superior engineering built multi-generational customer loyalty. But they've lost their way over the past 10-15 years, and I'm not sure who would be considered the new paragon of customer service in the auto industry now. 

Lexus was kicking butt in the 90s and 00s when it came to customer service. I don't know where they stand now. I just remember how cool it was to me as a little boy to go to the Lexus dealership when my mom's LS400 needed service and finding a soda dispenser in the waiting area. Mercedes-Benz didn't have that. You received a cup of coffee and a stern lecture on why the 350SDL was the unsurpassed combination of efficiency and luxury. MB didn't start catching on until the late 90s, and that's part of the reason why Lexus came in and started eating MB's lunch in the early 90s.

When I worked at a certain Clear Lake based Mercedes-Benz dealership a few years ago, they had a lady who worked in the customer waiting area. She would serve sodas, make smoothies, and serve desserts to the customers. They've since changed owners and I don't know if she's there anymore, but I know she was the reason why a lot of people would bring their cars there for service. That's what luxury buyers expect with customer service. They want the extra mile and everything short of having their a... I mean nose wiped. They want more than a Sparkletts tank and a coffee machine.

Edited by JLWM8609

Mercedes-Benz agencies (at least the one I use) seem to have taken a lesson from Lexus. The things I like about the service department (and it may be just because of the service writer I always request demand) is that, if there are repairs, they are done right the first time, my car is ready when they say it will be, and the service writer is very good about communicating with me. If he says he will call at 2:00 to let me know the status of my car, my phone rings at 1:59!

The espresso bar, WiFi, etc. are nice but they would not make up for shortcomings in the items I named above. I'm not easily bought off.

• Like 1

^^^^ This.

I've gotten very used to this business model with BMW.  It's pretty much their norm, though the dealership I went to for many, many years fell off that track after being bought up by a locally based chain that apparently is more into selling than servicing.  Pretty much all of its shop and most of its better service writers are now at a different BMW dealership - still one owned by a chain, but a different chain with a different apparent management philosophy and way more stability.

Lexus was kicking butt in the 90s and 00s when it came to customer service. I don't know where they stand now. I just remember how cool it was to me as a little boy to go to the Lexus dealership when my mom's LS400 needed service and finding a soda dispenser in the waiting area. Mercedes-Benz didn't have that. You received a cup of coffee and a stern lecture on why the 350SDL was the unsurpassed combination of efficiency and luxury. MB didn't start catching on until the late 90s, and that's part of the reason why Lexus came in and started eating MB's lunch in the early 90s.

Yeah, I thought about Lexus but I likewise haven't kept up with how they're currently regarded. My former boss had an LS400 back in the late 90s and loved it. She used to rave about how wonderful the service was at the dealer, which I found noteworthy as she wasn't someone who was easily impressed. She'd also owned several M-Bs prior to the Lexus, and preferred the Lexus. 

• 1 month later...

The 2016 Lincoln Continental concept is one sexy beast.

Lincoln-Continental-Concept-3.jpg

http://jalopnik.com/2016-lincoln-continental-concept-this-is-it-1694455362

The 2016 Cadillac CT6 will debut later today (March 31).

11081321_10153267089244923_2937871427100

I guess it's official. 2015 marks the return of the big, American luxury cruiser.

Edited by JLWM8609

Pleasantly surprised by the Continental, except for the wheels which I think are trying to hypnotize me.  I'm glad that Lincoln realized that there is a perfect niche out there for them.  They don't have to run after Audi and BMW like Cadillac is trying to do, when they can practically own the luxo-barge segment.  Now that they have a rear-wheel platform for the Continental, a revived Town Car is the obvious next step.  

What's interesting here is that the focus isn't on the driving experience, it's on rear seat room and comfort.  They need to offer rear side window privacy curtains as an option!

One thing about near production concept cars is that they are tarted up a bit with things that aren't really all that dandy for something that will be mass produced and mass driven.  In particular, they donk up the wheels, reduce the mirrors to the point of being unusable, and bling out trim elements beyond what can be economically produced.

But the Conti is pretty, and it looks like it hits a place that Lexus has pretty much to itself right now.  I can't wait to see Matthew McConahey laconically extolling its virtues while contemplating his boogers.

One thing about near production concept cars is that they are tarted up a bit with things that aren't really all that dandy for something that will be mass produced and mass driven.  In particular, they donk up the wheels, reduce the mirrors to the point of being unusable, and bling out trim elements beyond what can be economically produced.

But the Conti is pretty, and it looks like it hits a place that Lexus has pretty much to itself right now.  I can't wait to see Matthew McConahey laconically extolling its virtues while contemplating his boogers.

And the funny thing is that Lexus has been trying to back away from its luxo-cruiser image and come off as more sporty.  

• Like 1

Like that's a bad thing? 

Car designers steal from other cars all the time; often much more blatantly than this (eg original Lexus LS and Mercedes S-Class).  Actually I like the design because it avoids the semi-fastback with hofmeister kink look that practically every car manufacturer has adopted in recent years.

It's nice to see a return of the trunk.  I think it gives the car more presence, especially for a luxury car.

Bentley designer seems to think it's a bit too "Bentley-ish" !!

http://blog.caranddriver.com/bentley-designer-slams-lincoln-continental-concept-on-facebook/

So says the designer who works for the automaker that ripped off the Continental name from Lincoln in 1952, 13 years after the first Lincoln Continental rolled out. -_-

• Like 1

The 2016 Cadillac CT6 will debut later today (March 31).

Here ya go (sort of)....

I do wish they would have called it the CT8, the CTS could become the CT6, and the ATS could become the CT4....

http://www.carscoops.com/2015/03/2016-cadillac-ct6-heres-it-is-in-all.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Carscoop+%28CARSCOOPS%29

Edited by HoustonMidtown

So says the designer who works for the automaker that ripped off the Continental name from Lincoln in 1952, 13 years after the first Lincoln Continental rolled out. -_-

And from a Belgian working for a German-owned company that happens to have a British nameplate, no less. W. O. has probably been rotating in his grave at high velocity for quite some time now.  :)

Still, "Bentley" is the first thought that came to mind when I saw the rear three-quarter view, and seeing the front-end treatment later only served to reinforce that initial impression. 

Here ya go (sort of)....

I do wish they would have called it the CT8, the CTS could become the CT6, and the ATS could become the CT4....

http://www.carscoops.com/2015/03/2016-cadillac-ct6-heres-it-is-in-all.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Carscoop+%28CARSCOOPS%29

I think the CT8 name will be reserved for the grand flagship that's coming around 2020. The CT6 is the flagship for now. While it's not exactly the grand S-class competitor that many were hoping for, it's much better than the preceding flagship, the FWD XTS.

I realize that the guy who named everything at Infiniti something beginning with Q has his stated reasons for going to CT#.  Still, what's wrong with Seville / DeVille / Fleetwood / Eldorado, or if you MUST be numerical, go back to the 30s with 50 (which was actually badged LaSalle), 60, 61, 62, 65, 60 Special, 70 (badged Fleetwood), etc.?

• Like 1

I realize that the guy who named everything at Infiniti something beginning with Q has his stated reasons for going to CT#. Still, what's wrong with Seville / DeVille / Fleetwood / Eldorado, or if you MUST be numerical, go back to the 30s with 50 (which was actually badged LaSalle), 60, 61, 62, 65, 60 Special, 70 (badged Fleetwood), etc.?

Right! Even Lincoln saw fit to bring back the storied Continental name. The new guy wants to distance Cadillac from the days when the flagship was based on a stretched Caprice platform. But, there's something about the old names. It's not like anyone suggested bringing back Cimmaron. Plus, he knows the value of a name. Allegedly, the Escalade won't follow the XT# naming scheme that SUVs will adopt in the coming years.

Edited by JLWM8609

• 2 weeks later...

I think Lincoln probably see it as a bold move to bring back the Continental name rather than an alphanumeric code.  Luxury car manufacturers follow their crowd very closely in everything, so if Mercedes and BMW are going to use alphanumeric names then every other luxury car brand will as well.  Just like they all feel obligated to have analog clocks, and LED lights lining the headlights etc etc.

• 4 weeks later...

Sign this petition to ask the state house to pass a bill to eliminate the front license plate - doubt it will do any good, but even if there is a chance.....it only takes a minute

https://www.change.org/p/texas-state-house-pass-a-bill-that-will-make-texas-a-one-license-plate-state-eliminate-the-requirement-to-have-a-front-license-plate?recruiter=41699235

Sign this petition to ask the state house to pass a bill to eliminate the front license plate - doubt it will do any good, but even if there is a chance.....it only takes a minute

https://www.change.org/p/texas-state-house-pass-a-bill-that-will-make-texas-a-one-license-plate-state-eliminate-the-requirement-to-have-a-front-license-plate?recruiter=41699235

Why? I think that folks without a front license plate need to be fined heavily. It's a simple law to comply with.

Why? I think that folks without a front license plate need to be fined heavily. It's a simple law to comply with.

This would try to change the law so you don't need the front license plate...if you like the front plate, don't sign it....

Edited by HoustonMidtown

I know that. I like the law, and want it enforced. I am tired of the arrogance of those who think their car is so precious it can't be sullied with a front plate. Perhaps car makers ought to include front plates in their design.

I know that. I like the law, and want it enforced. I am tired of the arrogance of those who think their car is so precious it can't be sullied with a front plate. Perhaps car makers ought to include front plates in their design.

seriously.jpg

Geez... get out much?

At the risk of doing away with my complete ambivalence on the subject, I'm not sure just what the utility is of a front plate.  Nearly half of the states don't bother with it (including all of those surrounding Texas).  If anything, an extra plate doubles the resources used and likely adds a bit of aerodynamic drag (both in minute quantities, but still...).

Why do you like it?

I could not care less about putting a plate on the front of my car. The law's there so I do it.

I do appreciate the thought of paying less, not only in taxes that subsidize the cost of license plates, but paying less overall for one plate vs two.

Now then, something completely different from new cars, and license plates....

Is anyone around here a Jeep enthusiast? I'm thinking pretty seriously about selling my motorcycle and buying an old Jeep. The theory is that I get rid of a completely impractical mode of transportation and get something that is only slightly more practical. Google is good, but are there any places around town that I should keep in mind when shopping? I'm most interested in something with a title and a rust/bend free body/frame. Anyone have any suggestions for local?

I've been around Jeeps a time or three.  Personally, I prefer the old school CJs to the later YJs, etc.  Rust can be an issue, but getting parts (both original style replacement and shiny things) sure ain't.

Oh, and to take one more whack at the already dead horse - for the record, we have front plates on all of the cars, including the two seater of a sort frequently seen without one, but only a rear plate on the motorcycle.  Which is all the state gave me.

I'd ultimately love a CJ, but as it's mainly going to be replacing a motorcycle as a weekend and fair weather drive, so not expensive to get into it is an important factor. Which really puts me into a carbed YJ.

So you're the one guy in Texas with a corvette that has a front plate??

Not a Vette, but BMWs.  Which are almost as bad about not using front plates anywhere other than Virginia (where they take that sort of thing REAL seriously).

Edit:  On further reflection, perhaps Ross is from Virginia.  :ph34r:

Edited by mollusk