Car Talk → 2022

Subdude

2017 Alfa Romeo Stelvio

The headlamps are enormous, but this thing is very menacing with its aggressive front end and powerful engine. Much better than it's somewhat-related Italian rival, the Maserati Levante. 

http://www.carscoops.com/2016/11/alfa-romeo-stelvio-qv-promises-to-be.html?m=1

Alfa_Romeo_Stelvio_Quadrifoglio_01.jpg

Alfa_Romeo_Stelvio_Quadrifoglio_03.jpg

2017 Honda CR-V

Honda's gaining their mojo back. Handsome design with a turbo under the hood.

http://www.carscoops.com/2016/10/all-new-2017-honda-cr-v-gets-190hp.html?m=1

2017-CR-V-3.jpg

2017-Honda-CR-V-3.jpg

2017-Honda-CR-V-2.jpg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Subdude said:

To my eyes Alfa has consistently had nicer designs than any other manufacturer.  Too bad they never quite got the quality thing down.

What was that old joke about Hell being where the British were the cooks, the Germans were the lovers, the Italians the engineers, etc...?

Or, the Italians were so eager to advance their auto industry that they licensed the process of rust from Karmann, and gained their electrical chops from Joseph Lucas (aka the Prince of Darkness)?

On 11/17/2016 at 0:47 AM, Urbannizer said:

2017 Alfa Romeo Stelvio

The headlamps are enormous, but this thing is very menacing with its aggressive front end and powerful engine. Much better than it's somewhat-related Italian rival, the Maserati Levante. 

http://www.carscoops.com/2016/11/alfa-romeo-stelvio-qv-promises-to-be.html?m=1

Alfa_Romeo_Stelvio_Quadrifoglio_01.jpg

When discussion of this "new Alfa" ensued on another forum I'm on, someone groused that Fiat Chrysler Automobiles was coming out with "a mid-size SUV with a snake eating a guy on it", but it clearly wasn't an Alfa, as there hadn't been an Alfa Romeo built since 1986. 

Personally, I'm not ready to throw the latter-day entity that goes by the name Alfa Romeo that far under the bus, but as someone who owned a pre-1986 Alfa, I can appreciate the sentiment behind that statement.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Subdude said:

Nice looking.  It's interesting that electric cars usually retain some designed facsimile of grills.

The grills allow some airflow across the battery container (at least on my Leaf it does). They also have the AC radiator.

• 4 weeks later...

I really like the Stinger.  It reminds me of a Maserati Quattroporte somehow.  And I like that they didn't go with yet another alphanumeric name.  

The Camry I don't get.  This is supposed to be a regular ol' car for regular ol' people, and yet Toyota keeps trying to push the styling envelope with it.  My guess is that the typical Camry buyer would be perfectly content with a sedate, boring design.  That is the Camry heritage.  

The LS is OK, but that grill and front end just don't work.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Subdude said:

The Camry I don't get.  This is supposed to be a regular ol' car for regular ol' people, and yet Toyota keeps trying to push the styling envelope with it.  My guess is that the typical Camry buyer would be perfectly content with a sedate, boring design.  That is the Camry heritage.  

Camrys are anodyne appliances for people whose attitude toward driving falls somewhere on the continuum between indifference and outright hatred. Once autonomous cars become truly ready for prime time, they will take a big bite out of the Camry target market. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

2018 Honda Accord

http://www.carscoops.com/2017/07/2018-honda-accord-unveiled-with.html?m=1

Don't like the lower portion of the grille but the front end is growing on me.

2018-honda-accord-1.jpg

Some traces of Chevy Impala on its side.

15%20-%202018%20Honda%20Accord%20Touring

Chevy Impala look more pronounced in the rear, with Subaru tailights.

2018-honda-accord-inline2-photo-685810-s

Nice interior but they could've gone further, I think it will become outdated rather quickly.

1500051583174-19-2018hondaaccordtouring.

Honda did great with the new Civic, but didn't carry that greatness over to its larger sibling. For the first time I prefer the looks of the (upcoming) Camry over the Accord.

2 minutes ago, Urbannizer said:

2018 Honda Accord

http://www.carscoops.com/2017/07/2018-honda-accord-unveiled-with.html?m=1

Don't like the lower portion of the grille but the front end is growing on me.

2018-honda-accord-1.jpg

Some traces of Chevy Impala on its side.

15%20-%202018%20Honda%20Accord%20Touring

Chevy Impala look more pronounced in the rear, with Subaru tailights.

2018-honda-accord-inline2-photo-685810-s

Nice interior but they could've gone further, I think it will become outdated rather quickly.

1500051583174-19-2018hondaaccordtouring.

Honda did great with the new Civic, but didn't carry that greatness over to its larger sibling. For the first time I prefer the looks of the (upcoming) Camry over the Accord.

Everybody is going for the fastback look these days with the kinda-sorta opera window in the c-pillar. This also marks the end of the non-luxury/non-muscle/midsize coupe as Honda's discontinued the Accord coupe for 2018. 

17 hours ago, JLWM8609 said:

Everybody is going for the fastback look these days with the kinda-sorta opera window in the c-pillar. This also marks the end of the non-luxury/non-muscle/midsize coupe as Honda's discontinued the Accord coupe for 2018. 

They have also discontinued the V6 engines for the Accord for 2018 in favor of turbo fours. Similarly, after many years of US enthusiasts slobbering over multiple generations of the Civic Type R that were never made available in the US domestic market, they finally decide to sell the new-generation Type R here, but in place of the hyper-tuned, high-revving naturally aspirated engine that was the model's hallmark, the new one has a turbo four (although at 300hp a lot of people probably won't miss the old NA engines too much). The fact that some of these changes were likely driven by the need to meet ever-tightening mileage and emissions standards don't make them any easier to swallow. 

I miss the days when Honda set benchmarks for engineering. Their current Formula 1 engine program is an unmitigated disaster, and the current product line just isn't that interesting or exciting. 

• 1 month later...
On 7/15/2017 at 4:31 PM, mkultra25 said:

They have also discontinued the V6 engines for the Accord for 2018 in favor of turbo fours. Similarly, after many years of US enthusiasts slobbering over multiple generations of the Civic Type R that were never made available in the US domestic market, they finally decide to sell the new-generation Type R here, but in place of the hyper-tuned, high-revving naturally aspirated engine that was the model's hallmark, the new one has a turbo four (although at 300hp a lot of people probably won't miss the old NA engines too much). The fact that some of these changes were likely driven by the need to meet ever-tightening mileage and emissions standards don't make them any easier to swallow. 

I miss the days when Honda set benchmarks for engineering. Their current Formula 1 engine program is an unmitigated disaster, and the current product line just isn't that interesting or exciting. 

honestly, the Integra Type R was the last Honda of any note that was worthy of... note. I guess the NSX soldiered on until 2005.

now they (Honda and Acura) are just mediocre pretty good at everything type of car.

Well, I take that back, if I had to get a minivan, the Odyssey is where it's at.

All that said, a well tuned turbo 4 is much better than a v6. more efficient, more power, smaller packaging, lighter weight. just overall better.

Edited by samagon

• 9 months later...
On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 9:07 AM, DahanaWell said:

I bought a second-hand used Honda civic 2016,but with poor wheels.
I thought to take Honda native, but damn they are so expensive. Advise good wheels please.
DW

Interesting first post.  Try TireRack.com (link below), or if you're in to potentially sketchy deals, craigslist. 

https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/results.jsp?autoMake=Honda&autoModel=Civic+Sedan&autoYear=2016&autoModClar=EX&package=false

On 7/2/2018 at 0:53 PM, Nate99 said:

Interesting first post.  Try TireRack.com (link below), or if you're in to potentially sketchy deals, craigslist. 

https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/results.jsp?autoMake=Honda&autoModel=Civic+Sedan&autoYear=2016&autoModClar=EX&package=false

If you're not opposed to refurbished as opposed to new wheels, I've had good luck at Wheels America's Houston location - much cheaper than new OEM wheels from the dealer, and hard to tell that they're not actually new. If they don't have the wheel you need in inventory locally, they can usually source it from one of their other locations.

https://wheelsamerica.com/locations/houston/