Car Talk → 2022

Subdude

Someone on another site said this was a Honda, can anyone confirm?

Never mind they said it was a joke.

Found out this is a regular event at Catalina Coffee called "coffee and rice", there were a lot more cars and many headed there but the Mini was so cool.

Edited by hindesky

There have been more than a few Minis (both old and new) that have had Honda B-series engines transplanted into them. As you might expect, roughly tripling the power in something that's already tiny and feather-light to begin with results in a highly entertaining ride:

(start at 4:10 to skip the build and get right to the driving)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Anyone have any idea what these guys are doing?  They have a bunch of new Cadillac SUVs - it's hard to see in the picture, but they have what looks like one of those movie rigs they attach to cars when filming, with a bunch of cameras attached

49180007171_c70509083b_k.jpgUntitled by Houston Midtown, on Flickr

Edited by HoustonMidtown
  • Like 3

• 6 months later...

does anyone know where I can find a car that looks like a Geo Storm, but has butterfly doors? I really want the t-top look without the usefulness of being able to remove the t-top, but maybe still have the same leak potential as a t-top.

with that much glass, the fuel economy during the typical Houston summer must drop by a few points. another bonus is you get to your destination and you have to explain to your friends that yes, you have a sunburn from driving, but no, you do not own a jeep.

sorry for being cynical on this one, but for impractical cars from the 90s that were only made for a few short years I'd rather have the Del Sol.

I guess it gets some cool points being an import and all, but there are other imports I'd rather have.

Edited by samagon

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...
21 hours ago, hindesky said:

Saw a car transport trucker unloading 2 Moke electric cars across from Toyota Center. He said they are made in Florida and very popular in retirement communities and golf courses. Street legal and can go up to 25 mph.

https://mokeamerica.com

Q454sfQ.jpg

MnIGuoi.jpg

LdUUUBI.jpg

Did not realize there were electric Mokes now. They pretty much look the same as the old, gas-powered models.

1280px-'67_Austin_Mini_Moke_(Ottawa_Brit

Or the famous Taxi from The Prisoner:

1280px-The_Prisoner_(5631842525).jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini_Moke

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 8/14/2021 at 5:34 PM, hindesky said:

Found these 3 trucks at Turkey Leg Hut, how do you even get in that blue truck? 

t2o3sJz.jpg

I'd guess scissor lift.

I hate seeing bro dozers like this being driven on the streets with a passion, and I hope every single one of them breaks in a manner that doesn't harm anyone.

whether it's chip tunes being legislated out of business because of how popular they are with the Diesel crowd to defeat emissions, or make their trucks roll coal, or whether it's absurdly unsafe lift kits like this that are driven on any type of road. I mean, sitting in that truck could the driver even see a car that is less than 3 car lengths in front of him? much less a full grown adult crossing the street (never mind a child)? not even thinking about how absurdly heavy those wheels are, and probably no upgrades to the brakes to compensate for all that extra wheel mass that needs to be slowed down.

Edited by samagon
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, samagon said:

I'd guess scissor lift.

I hate seeing bro dozers like this being driven on the streets with a passion, and I hope every single one of them breaks in a manner that doesn't harm anyone.

whether it's chip tunes being legislated out of business because of how popular they are with the Diesel crowd to defeat emissions, or make their trucks roll coal, or whether it's absurdly unsafe lift kits like this that are driven on any type of road. I mean, sitting in that truck could the driver even see a car that is less than 3 car lengths in front of him? much less a full grown adult crossing the street (never mind a child)? not even thinking about how absurdly heavy those wheels are, and probably no upgrades to the brakes to compensate for all that extra wheel mass that needs to be slowed down.

I think anyone caught rolling coal should have their vehicle crushed. Same thing with driving a tuck lifted that high more than 10mph over the speed limit.

• Like 3

On 12/6/2021 at 5:02 PM, Ross said:

I think anyone caught rolling coal should have their vehicle crushed. Same thing with driving a tuck lifted that high more than 10mph over the speed limit.

Easy solution:  Make a $250 bounty available to inspection stations that catch people with vehicles modified to roll coal. 

The inspection station gets $250.  The state pays for it by sending a ticket to the owner for $300. 

I'm not an expert, but it's my understanding that the process of removing and re-installing the equipment to roll coal isn't worth the effort each year.