The Langley: Residential High-Rise At 1717 Bissonnet St.

musicman

• 4 weeks later...

for this to still be a lucrative business model I think is astounding.

I know I've said it before, but the thought flashes in my mind every time, if it were me, I would have already built an apartment building that had exactly the same number of units as the previous, and made it 100% low income housing. the amount of money they lost from the litigation of this space can't be much different from the amount they'd lose by just doing a project to spite the neighbors.

but then, I suppose continuing to go ahead with the tower design is going to spite the neighbors just as much, and may recoup some of the loses better than the low income housing would.

Edited by samagon

• The title was changed to The Langley High-Rise: 1717 Bissonnet St.

It is a beautiful building and I think a nice addition to the area. I am 100% behind preserving our single family home communities... but this doesn't really harm anything. Some neighbors will see it in their peripheral sights, but I almost think it would improve the area overall.

build baby build!

• Like 6

2 hours ago, KirbyDriveKid said:

The opposition sparked a yearlong battle to squash the project

Squash it with what - a monster truck? A steam roller?
I think the developer would quash any efforts to do such an unlikely thing.

• The title was changed to The Langley: Residential High-Rise At 1717 Bissonnet St.
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Serious question...why did the Karens scream over this project? There are many examples of mid rises in the Rice University area, and surrounding area. Many over looking residential. This is not out of character for this district.

The do need a stop light at Dunlay @ Bissonnet, with or without this building.

20 minutes ago, shasta said:

Serious question...why did the Karens scream over this project? There are many examples of mid rises in the Rice University area, and surrounding area. Many over looking residential. This is not out of character for this district.

I get why they went up in arms, but this is Houston, and it's getting increasingly dense by the day. It's a beautiful neighborhood (personally I think the most beautiful in the whole city). 

Capture.JPG

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, shasta said:

I have not spoken to anyone who lives in the area. I suspect they feel an invasion of privacy and a dislike in standing on ones land and staring up at a highrise.  I believe the neighborhood is called Broadacres. It is quiet, leafy, peaceful,and very beautiful. I do not live anywhere to it,  I do not have a dog in this fight and do not care either way, but I do understand their annoyance.

Fortunately, it is quite an elegant highrise, so they could have done much worse.

Edited by Twinsanity02
addtion

1 hour ago, shasta said:

This is a high-rise, not a mid-rise. Twenty plus floors. And there is not anything like this in the area. That's what they were complaining about. Plus the added traffic.

• Like 1

I never imagined HAIF would ever be NIMBY central lol.

It's totally normal to have highrises with homes in most places in the world. Traffic is not bad on Bissonnet/Sunset Blvd. It's transit rich and will be a great addition. My parents live around the corner so I frequent the area. People here want the benefits of density without any actual density lol. 

• Like 9

9 minutes ago, iah77 said:

I never imagined HAIF would ever be NIMBY central lol.

It's totally normal to have highrises with homes in most places in the world. Traffic is not bad on Bissonnet/Sunset Blvd. It's transit rich and will be a great addition. My parents live around the corner so I frequent the area. People here want the benefits of density without any actual density lol. 

never mind that the site had apartments on it before. I'm not sure how many units there were, or will be, but the difference cannot be so great as to have warranted the backlash.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, samagon said:

never mind that the site had apartments on it before. I'm not sure how many units there were, or will be, but the difference cannot be so great as to have warranted the backlash.

It has always been apartments and god knows this tower is better than an ugly garage "wrap" apartment complex like they build in most places. If it was purely about the money building that would have been much less headache for them and probably been pretty profitable. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Montrose1100 said:

I get why they went up in arms, but this is Houston, and it's getting increasingly dense by the day. It's a beautiful neighborhood (personally I think the most beautiful in the whole city). 

Capture.JPG

I agree, I kind of think its the most beautiful within the loop. If I ever made enough money I think this is where I'd want to live first, as opposed to west U or memorial or bellaire or whatever compared neighborhood. I think its cuz the location is so nice.

This is larger than most of the items in the area, but in terms of comparable areas [in terms of home prices] is this mostly about expectations and location of the neighbors when compared to something like the tower going up in Tanglewood? 

This is so disingenuous. There will be ZERO added traffic on Wroxton Court, and I really have a hard time believing that the traffic on Bissonnet will be significantly worse, especially considering there were apartments here before (as has been frequently noted in this thread). I don't know if it's a property value issue, or that they just don't want a high rise in their backyard because of privacy or views or whatever... but this is almost right in the center of Houston, there's going to be density whether they like it or not. I can see several high rises from my backyard (in a significantly less dense area of town), and you don't see me crying about it.

• Like 5