The Langley: Residential High-Rise At 1717 Bissonnet St.

musicman

• 3 weeks later...

"Neighbors of the proposed high-rise at 1717 Bissonnet filed a lawsuit in Harris County District Court on Friday asking a judge to stop further construction and declare that the project isn't following rules set in a 2012 agreement between the city of Houston and the developer of what was then known as the Ashby. If the judge sides with neighbors, that could send current developer, Dallas-based StreetLights Residential, back to the drawing board and delay further construction of the high-rise, now named the Langley."

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/article/ashby-angley-high-rise-sue-lawsuit-houston-tower-18128859.php

What's ironic is you know at least one of those neighbors has invested in, works for a company that builds these types of structures, or owns a condo as a second home and doesn't give a single thought to the neighbors yet suddenly get very NIMBY about it when it affects them.

• Like 6

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2023/06/06/the-langley-neighbors-lawsuit.html

Neighbors of The Langley high-rise continue its long-running saga with new lawsuit
Jun 6, 2023, 3:02pm CDT

The long-running saga of the so-called Ashby high-rise — which is now known as The Langley — continues with a new lawsuit, marking the latest twist in the battle.

The lawsuit, filed by neighbors of the proposed 20-story apartment tower in district court on June 2, asked a judge to determine the legitimacy of the project, Pete Patterson, the attorney representing the plaintiffs, said in an interview.

If a judge sides with the plaintiffs, Dallas-based StreetLights Residential, the developer behind the project, would have to go back to the drawing board, revising site plans once again.

“We're not asking for money,” said Patterson, whose practice focuses on business litigation. “We're asking the court up or down whether this development should be happening or not.”

The neighbors’ opposition centers on the outcome of a lawsuit filed in opposition of an earlier plan to build an apartment tower at 1717 Bissonnet St. Under a restrictive covenant approved by U.S. District Judge Lee Rosenthal in 2012, any apartment tower built on the site had to adhere to nine limitations before the project could move forward. An appeals court eventually sided with the developers in 2016, overturning another part of the original decision related to monetary damages.

Patterson said his clients believe StreetLights Residential’s revamped design does not strictly comply with the restrictive covenant. The clients’ primary concern is a pedestrian plaza that the neighbors claim is “substantively modified” from the previous plan, as well as alleged encroachments on a city right of way, he said.

Patterson said according to his experts’ opinions, there are about 8 feet encroaching in the city’s right of way on the north boundary line, or the Bissonnet Street side. In order to comply, the developers would have to push the site plan south, but then the site would be within 5 feet of the property of a plaintiff who lives on Wroxton Court.

The site is not allowed to be closer than 11 feet of the plaintiffs' property lines — which his clients feel is still too small. Patterson said the site plan, as is, is too big and does not fit on the property.

Under the current city codes, new high-rise structures that are 75 feet or taller need to have a buffer of 30 to 40 feet from single-family home lots that are greater than 3,500 square feet or that are adjacent to or taking access from either a collector street or local street.

However, the Langley site could be grandfathered in to take advantage of the old setback ordinance under the project’s original developers, Houston-based Buckhead Investments. According to the lawsuit, if StreetLights Residential does not comply with the restrictive covenant, then it will need to comply with the 30-foot setback from the plaintiffs’ north property line on the south and east property line.

Other concerns the lawsuit cites about the plaza include a raised terrace “separated with railings and a retaining wall that separates the terrace from the street sidewalk and the relocated driveway.” The current plan places the driveway in the middle of the development on Bissonnet bisecting the pedestrian plaza. The separation creates inconsistent elevation that doesn’t comply with the covenant, the lawsuit claims.

Patterson notes his clients are also concerned about the debris, dirt, gasoline and construction trucks during the construction phase as well as traffic once the development is completed.

Case Kilgore, StreetLights Residential’s president of development, said in a previous interview that his company believes its revised plan for The Langley does comply with the restrictive covenant, as evidenced by the project gaining city approval in April.

In a new statement emailed to the Houston Business Journal, StreetLights Residential said it is disappointed but not surprised by the lawsuit.

“The owner, developer, and their contractor have worked with the city of Houston and the neighboring homeowners’ associations, as well as the homeowners, for many months to listen and respond to their concerns,” the statement said. “We are trying to make the construction process as unobtrusive as possible and know that when we’re done there will be a beautiful building. We will continue to make these efforts, despite the lawsuit.”

As currently designed, The Langley would offer 134 two- and three-bedroom apartments, ranging in size from 2,600 to 3,300 square feet. The goal is to provide a property that caters to empty-nesters looking to downsize their living accommodations, Kilgore said.

The design of the building's exterior is inspired by the local architecture and Rice University’s campus, Kilgore said.

StreetLights Residential has partnered with property owner El Paso, Texas-based Hunt Companies Inc. on the property and will serve as both general contractor and primary architect on the project. Kilgore said Houston-based EDI International also assisted in designing the building.

The lawsuit notes that “the city has granted a site permit for wherein SLR may begin site preparation for the development of the tower.” The city is not currently commenting on this issue, a spokesperson with Houston Public Works said.

Dirt is now moving on the property, and the developers aim to bring The Langley to fruition by 2025.

Sofia Gonzalez
Reporter - Houston Business Journal

• Like 4

On 6/7/2023 at 7:58 AM, astrohip said:

Literally the definition of NIMBY: Not In My Back Yard

Well yeah that's the point. Just different this time. It is one thing if I love seeing high rises get built then whine when one affects me but worse when someone whines when they literally fund, profit, or own a high rise or condo and not care at all how that affects that area. 

On 5/9/2023 at 12:32 PM, august948 said:

They should build it just like the picture, with a washateria/liquor store/cbd/vape/greyhound station on the ground floor.

I wouldn't wish a Greyhound station on anyone. But given all of these stupid lawsuits, I think it's time for Midtown to get a reprieve.

The owners of 2016 Main have suffered under stupidly low property values long enough. I'm sure the new neighbors of the Langley can carry the burden for a while.

Edited by aachor
  • Like 5

15 hours ago, aachor said:

I wouldn't wish a Greyhound station on anyone. But given all of these stupid lawsuits, I think it's time for Midtown to get a reprieve.

The owners of 2016 Main have suffered under stupidly low property values long enough. I'm sure the new neighbors of the Langley can carry the burden for a while.

I do not care one way or the other whether this goes up or not. I have no money involved.  I don't understand why several of the posts are so hostile toward the neighbors who do not like this project. Why care unless you have a stake in this? It is not like Houston suffers from insufficient high rise apartments. I like high rises and hope we get many more including a few supertalls. But one or two make no difference to me. More will come along.

17 minutes ago, Ross said:

The hostility is because the neighbors are entitled dweebs who think they can control property they do not own. The neighbors are not special, they don't get special privileges for living there. Anyone who lives in Houston should know that just about anything can be built near you, whether you like it or not. I might respect the neighbors a little if they also fought bad developments in poor areas, but they don't, so they can deal with all of the Houstony stuff too.

For me it's just the faux-progressive "big bad apartments vs. sweet little helpless houses" framing they (well, the signs at least) use to make it seem like anything other than NIMBYism. 

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, 004n063 said:

For me it's just the faux-progressive "big bad apartments vs. sweet little helpless houses" framing they (well, the signs at least) use to make it seem like anything other than NIMBYism. 

this is a big factor for me.

another, bigger factor for me, I am a resident of this city. the ramifications of this will reverberate throughout all of Houston. we already have enough quazi zoning, and we don't need more regulations pushing even more zoning like rules on our city, specifically, we need more density, not less.

sure, it may suck to see a Zone 'D Erotica next to the Galleria (RIP), but the future needs to be more cohesive, interwoven, and density needs to be a part of that future.

so no, I don't live in the immediate area, nor do I have money invested in this project, but I live in the city, and care how the future of our city develops, and if such a small contingent of people had been able to succeed, they would have shifted the future of the entire city scape thanks to their selfish desires. I'm glad they lost, and I wish they would have lost sooner.

and even if you don't care about that, on a impact per acre towards city taxes, a big residential tower is going to have a much higher valuation, and thus tax per acre than those single family homes in the area, which means, if there's property taxes collected from more dense places, that means more potholes filled, all of our infrastructure able to be fixed much quicker, and maybe even before it fails. maybe they can hire more police officers to help keep us safer. better schools. the list goes on. this is a win for whole city.

Edited by samagon
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, Twinsanity02 said:

I do not care one way or the other whether this goes up or not. I have no money involved.  I don't understand why several of the posts are so hostile toward the neighbors who do not like this project. Why care unless you have a stake in this? It is not like Houston suffers from insufficient high rise apartments. I like high rises and hope we get many more including a few supertalls. But one or two make no difference to me. More will come along.

And they happen to have money to tie this up in lawsuits that others who have had something built by them cannot. Don't feel bad for the mega rich when suddenly something affects them that has affected the whole city.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, thatguysly said:

And they happen to have money to tie this up in lawsuits that others who have had something built by them cannot. Don't feel bad for the mega rich when suddenly something affects them that has affected the whole city.

I don't feel bad for the "meag-rich". I don't love or hate them. I cannot imagine them trying to stop one highrise, which appears as if they will not succeed, will have such a cataclysmic effect on Houston. Just do not understand this heat, anger and hatred toward these folks.