The Langley: Residential High-Rise At 1717 Bissonnet St.

musicman

The sure did this entirely piecemeal. Just for grins, what do you think would happen if the city only permitted Floors 2,3,5,7,10,12,16 and 19? :P

I think under the constitution that would qualify as cruel and unusual punishment...

I know that o' was making a funny, but I could see how some floors might be approved and others not - for example, some floors getting rejected for not having enough electrical outlets on a wall of a unit style found on those floors, but not others. :huh:  

The sure did this entirely piecemeal. Just for grins, what do you think would happen if the city only permitted Floors 2,3,5,7,10,12,16 and 19? :P

It's a risk, although small since most floors are probably alike, but this makes it easier to get partial certificates of occupancy and thus move in people early.

Edited by fernz

Can anyone shed some light on how the relationship with the general contractor works on a project like this?  Have the labor/material costs been already been pre-agreed to?  The reason I ask is that I imagine these kind of projects have very detailed ROI models.  Does every month of delay mean that the labor and material costs are also rising given the shortages we are hearing about on other projects around town?

On the flip side, I'm assuming the future rentals rate projections ($/month/sq ft) are probably rising as well.

Can anyone shed some light on how the relationship with the general contractor works on a project like this? Have the labor/material costs been already been pre-agreed to? The reason I ask is that I imagine these kind of projects have very detailed ROI models. Does every month of delay mean that the labor and material costs are also rising given the shortages we are hearing about on other projects around town?

On the flip side, I'm assuming the future rentals rate projections ($/month/sq ft) are probably rising as well.

Of course, if they wait too long, it will be 1983 all over again and the building won't be built. But the next land owners may turn the land into a homeless shelter/pawn shop/half way house.

• Like 1

Of course, if they wait too long, it will be 1983 all over again and the building won't be built. But the next land owners may turn the land into a homeless shelter/pawn shop/half way house.

That won't happen unless the real estate values of the neighborhood fall into the toilet and never recover (and that permanently ruined a lot of neighborhoods)

• 3 weeks later...

Any news at all on this? I drive by it several times a day. I think the window for it to be profitable is starting to close with all the other high rise projects in the works.

Agree. When this was first proposed I was excited to see Houston get another high rise. I didn't care about the neighborhood. Having something you may not like being built next to you is the risk and price ANYONE might have to pay for the privilege living in Houston (especially the inner city).

But now, there so many other, much more interesting high rises going up in much more appropriate areas of the city, that I wouldn't miss this tower at all if got cancelled.

well they went to the effort of getting the permits just a couple months ago. Mid main took monthssss from their permitting to construction due to difficulty in getting a crew...

Too early to say this is canceled. there are so many things going on in Houston, that this is likely just backed up.

Number of residential high rise buildings over 200 foot or something like that. Also so we can continue to rise on the national list of high rise buildings so Miami, Honolulu, Los Angeles etc don't pass us and we keep moving up.

FWIW, no other city in Texas is anywhere near Houston when it comes to  number of residential high-rises.

Edited by Houston19514

Look, I'm not siding with the neighborhood on this, but at this point I think the developer should consider options for getting out of this location. Offer to "donate" the property to the locals with the sole purpose of creating a park, only if a similar size property can be purchased by the community nearby in a location the community and the developer thinks will be more appropriate. Midtown? Kirby? Museum District? Medical Center? Uptown? By creating a park the developer could save face while also still getting to build the designed building at another location.

There is just too much other competition for residential high rise in Houston right now to build where sales may be harder to come by because of the high amount of negative PR.

Look, I'm not siding with the neighborhood on this, but at this point I think the developer should consider options for getting out of this location. Offer to "donate" the property to the locals with the sole purpose of creating a park, only if a similar size property can be purchased by the community nearby in a location the community and the developer thinks will be more appropriate. Midtown? Kirby? Museum District? Medical Center? Uptown? By creating a park the developer could save face while also still getting to build the designed building at another location.

There is just too much other competition for residential high rise in Houston right now to build where sales may be harder to come by because of the high amount of negative PR.

Sounds like a defeatist attitude... This is a great spot. people will want to live there. 

• Like 4

Look, I'm not siding with the neighborhood on this, but at this point I think the developer should consider options for getting out of this location. Offer to "donate" the property to the locals with the sole purpose of creating a park, only if a similar size property can be purchased by the community nearby in a location the community and the developer thinks will be more appropriate. Midtown? Kirby? Museum District? Medical Center? Uptown? By creating a park the developer could save face while also still getting to build the designed building at another location.

There is just too much other competition for residential high rise in Houston right now to build where sales may be harder to come by because of the high amount of negative PR.

I am with you far from a NIMBY but after actually walking the area this tower will look so out of place...Rhe alemda area across from the park next to Mosaic and the new building would have been a prime location for a area I think is flying under the transformation radar
  • Like 1

There is just too much other competition for residential high rise in Houston right now to build where sales may be harder to come by because of the high amount of negative PR.

If this is built they will have no problem leasing the building up. The people moving into the building won't care about the negative PR. There may be other high rise buildings going up in Houston but none are going up in that neighborhood. They won't have any competition.

• Like 1