The RO: Mixed-Use Development At West Alabama And Buffalo Spdwy.

YakuzaIce

• The title was changed to Construction Along The Rail Road Tracks at Westheimer near Highland Village

My bad thinking about another project 

8 minutes ago, Twinsanity02 said:

What is this area called? It definitely is coming into it's own as another major  Houston Skyline after Downtown, Uptown, and TMC ( don't know if upper Kirby  or Greenspoint can be called this yet). Many cities would give up an arm to claim one of these skylines. 

Dont worry some hipsters PR firm will at some point  rebrand it..lol

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

If you really want to get technical, it is *considered* Greenway and River Oaks, but those are just lose terms since they really aren’t in either one proper. It’s not Upper Kirby because a representative with UK giving a talk was clear this project was outside their vision for UK. The border runs on the west edge of Buffalo speedway. As soon as you walk off of Buffalo onto the sidewalk by the RO site  you just left Upper Kirby.

Added a photo just because these man made borders are interesting.... UK red sign on traffic lights, regular COH green sign on sidewalk intersection (far left in photo)

On an unrelated note, saw a yellow crane (also in photo) getting set up in that direction and got excited. But it was on a small property just west of the RO site. Need to look up what that is. Lots going up in this area.BAB37640-5D2C-4D6E-98AD-C002F1FB41CB.jpeg.11376939e7c43a73899de5d4ef759530.jpeg

Edited by Geoff8201
  • Like 8

3 hours ago, Geoff8201 said:

If you really want to get technical, it is *considered* Greenway and River Oaks, but those are just lose terms since they really aren’t in either one proper. It’s not Upper Kirby because a representative with UK giving a talk was clear this project was outside their vision for UK. The border runs on the west edge of Buffalo speedway. As soon as you walk off of Buffalo onto the sidewalk by the RO site  you just left Upper Kirby.

So if you really want to get technical it is not considered Greenway Plaza or River Oaks (or Upper Kirby). It is not within the boundaries of any of those. It is near all of them so will likely be loosely (and technically incorrectly) referred to as being part of all three of those from time to time.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

So if you really want to get technical it is not considered Greenway Plaza or River Oaks (or Upper Kirby). It is not within the boundaries of any of those. It is near all of them so will likely be loosely (and technically incorrectly) referred to as being part of all three of those from time to time.

Yes, you are correct, but that’s why I used the term *considered*, and used it loosely. Not by any city planning entity, but just by people whom may or may not occupy the area. Makes this area complicated to classify, (hence our posts on the subject) but like you said they will probably be referred to by all three.

Upper Kirby does have a defined boundary you can physically see in the signage, Greenway and River Oaks not so much (at least none I have ever noticed). This is a gray area, where if you walk one block north, you’re in River Oaks, one block south, Greenway, and just cross the street east, boom you’re in UK.

I’ve been in this area a long time and have heard places not in the boundaries use “A River Oaks Address” and the always popular hyphenated “River Oaks - Greenway“. Upper Kirby is the newest and physically the closest but still catching on. Upper Kirby Plans to redo West Alabama from Buffalo Speedway on eastward and make the area more walkable, which will be some benefit to the RO.

Speaking of which, All one has to do is look at the project name to know which neighborhood they plan to say they are in. I don’t foresee that changing.

Edited by Geoff8201
  • Like 2

• The title was changed to River Oaks Outlook
3 hours ago, Urbannizer said:

This is actually big time news (I don't believe we knew who the architect was). Knowing that the renders, previously shown, are from PickardChilton definitely gives me more confidence that what was shown is something that will actually be constructed. For those that want to see what they have done in the past look no further than the Exxon Mobil Campus. The dude loves cantilevers, so that one tall building with the top cantilever might actually be legit, and the material palette is also something that is consistent with PickardChilton.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Luminare said:

This is actually big time news (I don't believe we knew who the architect was). Knowing that the renders, previously shown, are from PickardChilton definitely gives me more confidence that what was shown is something that will actually be constructed. For those that want to see what they have done in the past look no further than the Exxon Mobil Campus. The dude loves cantilevers, so that one tall building with the top cantilever might actually be legit, and the material palette is also something that is consistent with PickardChilton.

Gensler had a big hand in that project! Pickard has produced better high rises in my humble opinion...but they do add more credibility towards the realization of this project. 

I wonder who the architect(s) of record will be?

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Michael Hsu is also involved:

Many other projects are still in the design phase, including a new Katz’s Deli location in The Heights, The RO mixed-use project and Zadok Jewelers in Uptown. In addition, Hsu said there are several other projects in the works that aren’t public knowledge yet.

Read more at: https://www.bisnow.com/houston/news/architecture-design/michael-hsu-is-happiest-in-your-neighborhood-103059?utm_source=CopyShare&utm_medium=Browser 

And I read somewhere that Preston Partnership is AOC for the residential high-rise.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

So the RO is still in design phase? Thought designs were just being finalized? Makes sense I guess as to why the groundbreaking hasn’t begun. The grass was starting to get a little tall, but yesterday groundskeepers were there with riding mowers keeping it from being an eyesore.

Mid 2020 was the scoop I heard before, but that’s 7 month old information. It is just days from March so seems like a more realistic time frame now. Will see.

• Like 2

• The title was changed to The RO: Mixed-Use Development at West Alabama and Buffalo Speedway
  • 3 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, Highrise Tower said:

Parts of the site have low levels of contaminated groundwater. A Municipal Settings Designations (MSD) application was sent to the city.

https://www.houstontx.gov/council/committees/rna/20190117/msd.pdf

https://www.tceq.texas.gov/remediation/msd-certificate

fg5qQ1v.png

fCS1bep.png

xgBM1Kp.png

wyPtTQA.png

ccuIGR9.png

AUD5HKe.png

That's interesting. This could be why they haven't been able to start yet. Especially with what they are proposing (office/retail/residential mixed-use), contaminated ground water is actually a real problem. I'm also wondering if this is partly why its taken East River some time to really kick off as well. Old industrial sites, depending on what they were used for can be a challenge to clean up and prep for uses where people will actually live on the property. My knowledge is limited on this however, so someone who is well versed in this particular area please chime in. This isn't a death nail for the project or anything, but simply one that can slow it down. If this is the what they were told then they will have to do remediation of the site before they can begin construction. Unsure to what extent, and how that can be done. What I will say is that this could actually later on be flipped as a positive for the development if its able to kick off. The positive being that they could go the full LEED route, and get a lot of positive publicity for their remediation efforts, and improving the property/quality of life for the area.

• Like 1

I’m surprised and also not surprised this popped up. Through the 90s and prior, before they built the Exxon Training Center, this corner was a Full Service Gas Station with Service Center and Convenience Store.

The Exxon Gas Station had Underground Storage Tanks that leaked. Next door it was apparent because the storm water coming into the storm sewer sump at the second sub basement, would smell like gas. A system was installed to filter this out and the water was directed to the sanitation sewer.

This system was removed several years ago, but you could still smell the gas odor. Apparently it was under the threshold of being a hazard after the last inspection by Environmental Services. After Harvey, there was so much water that almost all the lingering smells were washed away and seems like this wasn’t going to be an issue anymore, presuming this is what was found.

The next  issue I think they may encounter is an underground spring below the property. We get groundwater coming in non-stop into our sump. It can be 6 months of drought and the water still continues. Being that it picked up the gasoline concentration it is theory that it runs under the former Exxon property before us. It will be interesting to see if underground water causes issues when they dig out the foundation, and if the stream coming in our sump diminishes after construction.

Kudos to them for the voluntary clean up of what remains. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

• 2 weeks later...