The RO: Mixed-Use Development At West Alabama And Buffalo Spdwy.

YakuzaIce

It doesn't look that bright to me...

Either way, this is a rendering, and doesn't necessarily reflect how real sunlight will interact with real materials. I strongly doubt they're planning perfect white tiles with high reflectively.

Of course I could be wrong, but I imagine after the third or so person spontaneously bursts into flames walking across them, they will be replaced.

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Texasota said:

It doesn't look that bright to me...

Either way, this is a rendering, and doesn't necessarily reflect how real sunlight will interact with real materials. I strongly doubt they're planning perfect white tiles with high reflectively.

Of course I could be wrong, but I imagine after the third or so person spontaneously bursts into flames walking across them, they will be replaced.

Speaking from experience with rendering. This is a reflectivity setting being set too high. Pavers, even white ones, aren't that reflective. Sometimes a render engine will make even things which aren't that reflective or glossy a lot more reflective or glossy than what they really are. Actually I was kinda put back by @Montrose1100 comment, but then I was like, "ok wait a second, I know clients that make the exact same statements even though its a render because they want to make sure what they are getting is what they are getting." So after taking a step back, and reflecting on it, I could understand why Montrose1100 would say that, and he does have a point. In this image it is way to reflective. I would say its probably not going to be that reflective in real life. I could be wrong. I have been before, but the only time you get a paver/brick that is that reflective is if its a glazed brick which you don't really ever put on the ground. Occum's Razor would suggest that its a flaw in the actual rendering of the material, and not a reflection of what it will actually be. It happens. I don't think its bright, but I can see why Montrose1100 says its bright, and its a comment to keep in mind. If he thinks that there might be others that think that as well.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Aside from small activity (utility work, generators getting fueled up, desks and furniture moving into the trailers) not much has happened (Yet).

Re-examining the groundwater impacts a few posts back; the areas marked would be the Phase 2 section of the project. The old gas station sat on where Phase 1 is going. If this was the cause of contamination it migrated south. I'm unsure if they would address this first, or go ahead and begin removing trees, busting up the old Exxon Training Center and parking lot concrete and begin setting footings for the new buildings.

Also Buffalo Speedway from West Alabama going North is undergoing the start of a Capital Project to replace wastewater facilities. Crews have been out this past week setting up, and big machinery is out ready to dig. The plan I heard, is to tunnel under the street to do the work without disturbing the esplanades and most of the trees that sit on them. The project will take 16 months to complete.

https://www.publicworks.houstontx.gov/sites/default/files/assets/001-project_Information_notice_r-000035-0012-4.pdf

https://www.publicworks.houstontx.gov/sites/default/files/assets/construction_phasing_map.pdf

Source with more informative PDFs:

https://www.publicworks.houstontx.gov/node/342

Furthermore, The project to improve West Alabama is still alive. The Upper Kirby info I've found for Buffalo Speedway - Shepherd is outdated, but hopefully there will be a new timeline. Eventually this Alabama Street improvement will go all the way east to Almeda.

As part of a bigger four-phase effort, the Houston has been responsible for two segments of improvements to West Alabama.

The Weslayan Street to Buffalo Speedway segment is scheduled for construction in 2021 and calls for new concrete streets with storm drainage, sidewalks, driveways, street lighting with water and wastewater updates. The project is scheduled for bids later this month. Construction is slated for spring 2021.

The segment from Buffalo Speedway to Shepherd is the responsibility of the Upper Kirby TIRZ, while the segment from Spur 527 to Chenevert is the responsibility of the Midtown TIRZ.

Timeline: spring 2021-TBD

Cost: $15.87 million

Source:

https://communityimpact.com/houston/heights-river-oaks-montrose/transportation/2020/07/07/improvements-are-coming-to-west-alabama-street-in-river-oaks-area-in-2021/

This intersection is going to look very different in just a few years.

Edit:

I rechecked the Upper Kirby District site and the West Alabama reconstruction from Buffalo Speedway to Shepherd is listed to happen in 2021/2022 for $22 Million.

http://www.upperkirbydistrict.org/index.php/the-district-at-work/district-projects/coming-soon

Edited by Geoff8201
Updated Information
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, good info. I wondered what they were doing to Buffalo Speedway. Guess we have a year of const to look forward to. Then years of R.O. const 🙃

It will be nice to get Alabama updated.

I noticed on the Upper Kirby project map, they show Richmond (inside B.S.) to be complete. But it's not, it's still ripped up and scraped down, but no overlay yet.

It's funny (actually, it's not), when they started scraping all the years of overlays from Richmond earlier this year, I thought "Great timing, there's no traffic on Richmond due to shutdown, what a perfect time to repave that street". So they scraped it from Kirby to Timmons several months ago, and... {crickets chirping} ...they have not done one single thing since.

Four months of the least traffic we will EVER see in Greenway Plaza, and it sits there untouched. Not one minute of work (that I can detect) in four months.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
19 hours ago, mls1202 said:

Apologies if this has been already covered, but what (if anything) is happening to the empty land north of RO? From Google Maps, it shows what looks like overflow parking for St. John, but I have to imagine this land is going to be super-valuable...

All the land to the north of The RO lot up to The River Oaks Condo Building belongs to St. John’s. There is a giant multi use field, parking garage, and temporary buildings with a parking lot the Urban Harvest Farmers Market currently uses on Saturday mornings.

It is my understanding that eventually this will become new buildings and athletic facilities for the school.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, samagon said:

right? we deserve less!

I don't mean that in a bad way it just seems like most designs in Houston are safe. I personally would love more interesting and bold designs.  Honestly I don't see why this isn't already the case with our mishmash neighborhoods, "no zoning", and lack of city wide NIMBYs.

• Like 5

Just now, BeerNut said:

I don't mean that in a bad way it just seems like most designs in Houston are safe. I personally would love more interesting and bold designs.  Honestly I don't see why this isn't already the case with our mishmash neighborhoods, "no zoning", and lack of city wide NIMBYs.

I absolutely agree, I love traveling to Europe, not just to see the history in the place, but the edgy architecture is fun to look at.

I'm hopeful this comes through, and we get more stuff like this.

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

For a project that was originally “Coming in 2019” and hasn’t even shown signs of breaking ground now at the end of 2020, no it doesn’t look good. But.... it is 2020, which has not been the best year for anyone.

It’s disappointing to hear about the office listings being pulled and the trailers being used for the sewer project... oh which btw I observed the very first trailer on the west end of the lot was actually being used for the Christian Community Service Center construction a block over. Saw people going back and forth and then the  light bulb went off that this trailer has nothing to do with the RO either.

I still feel this project would do very well, with exception to the office building portion, based on how things are right now.

I hope this doesn’t go the way of River Oaks District which had three towers in the first rendering and got built as a midrise, granted it was a huge improvement form what existed before.

Hopefully whatever gets value re-engineered, or changed, or whatever is a huge improvement from what was there before and currently. Right now it’s a big dark lot at night, and it’s attracting homeless people.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Geoff8201 said:

actually being used for the Christian Community Service Center construction a block over. <snip>

Hopefully whatever gets value re-engineered, or changed, or whatever is a huge improvement from what was there before and currently. Right now it’s a big dark lot at night, and it’s attracting homeless people.

The CCSC is now open. I wish they had put some windows on the North wall. It's just one giant "wall". Bor-ing.

Homeless people? I need to look closer, I haven't seen any. Maybe you just saw me wandering around in my "work from home" outfit... loose fit sweats, baggy tee, "no haircut in nine months" look. 🙃

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

So there is some activity, but I believe it has to do with groundwater cleanup....

They are digging towards the south end of the property. A notice went out to residents nearby indicating a Microsoft Teams meeting in the near future concerning groundwater contamination.