Sign in to follow this  
Naviguessor

Beltway 8 / Ship Channel Bridge Replacement

UtterlyUrban    1431

Are bridges designed to last 35 years?

If so, I am surprised and scare to death to drive around much of the rest of the country (and the metroplex) that has bridges much older than this.

JLWM8609    484

Are bridges designed to last 35 years?

If so, I am surprised and scare to death to drive around much of the rest of the country (and the metroplex) that has bridges much older than this.

There's no reason to be scared of a bridge based by age alone. An old, but well-maintained bridge is safer than a new but shoddily built bridge

ADCS    314

There's no reason to be scared of a bridge based by age alone. An old, but well-maintained bridge is safer than a new but shoddily built bridge

Looking at it a little more closely, it's more of a capacity issue than anything. The current bridge is 48 feet wide, which means you'd only be able to fit in three 12 foot lanes with six foot shoulders for one-way traffic. The new bridges will be 70 feet wide, meeting interstate standards with 12 foot travel lanes and 10 foot shoulders.

Edited by ADCS
  • Like 2

SkylineView    1240

Wow, I thought I'd read it would be a copy of the existing bridge.  This looks great, and it gets the supports out of the water.  Good compliment to Fred Hartman.

• Like 2