Office Tower At 1111 Travis St.

burgower4

^^^ actually, i think that the overall problems.. as per this particular newcomer edifice, is that the actual renderings of this building were GOD AWFUL.  now that this edifice has arrived, we can all see that it is indeed quite stunning in it's overall scale and scope.  in fact, at some points throughout the course of the day... it looks quite beautiful and elegant.  i would love to see and actual illustration of the back exterior wide view (with it's prospective retail establishments) fronting main street.  i can only imagine that once all new landscaping apparatus is in place, this may be the new essential gathering spot..... well done HAIF....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is private property and it will be well patrolled, you can bet. I can't imagine Hilcorp allowing camping out on their property.

Cloud - you certainly are right. Let's hope the multiple aid based projects underway downtown, midtown and east side help. They deserve more support and respect than they are often given in this forum.

• Like 4

Sometimes its more than just the building itself but as I have maintained from the very beginning this building interacts with its surroundings and creates wonderful juxtapositions. I imagine the view from some of the surrounding towers looking down on these beautiful roof gardens will appreciate the thoughtful use of this space. Its not always how tall a building is but what they do with the design to create a public realm that not only fills the block and allows for beauty and nature to interact in a jungle of concrete steel and glass, but breaks up the monotony of square and rectangular spaces. The setbacks and curved walls give way to views of buildings that have not had surfaces to play off of and consequently we are seeing some beautiful reflections and compositions of materials that play off the glass. 

• Like 7

Sometimes its more than just the building itself but as I have maintained from the very beginning this building interacts with its surroundings and creates wonderful juxtapositions. I imagine the view from some of the surrounding towers looking down on these beautiful roof gardens will appreciate the thoughtful use of this space. Its not always how tall a building is but what they do with the design to create a public realm that not only fills the block and allows for beauty and nature to interact in a jungle of concrete steel and glass, but breaks up the monotony of square and rectangular spaces. The setbacks and curved walls give way to views of buildings that have not had surfaces to play off of and consequently we are seeing some beautiful reflections and compositions of materials that play off the glass. 

At the architecture forum for Gerald Hines most of the architects on the stage made this very point. When asked what has become the most important design element of a building their responce was the interaction with the public and its surroundings. Buildings could no longer be islands to themselves but rather create community/public relms that could be enjoyed by all. I think another example, if built out, would be the lobby of the Capitol tower were they are trying to bring things together rather then seperate and create a great public space.

• Like 3