• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, hindesky said:

They had a lot of roads blocked for a charity walk.

Ur043I5.jpg

06zhUac.jpg

Stopped by the Nook today for some coffee while my son was doing some group work at the architecture school.  Noticed a sign saying they are closing that little section of street where people park in front of the restaurant strip early May.

• Like 2

On 10/19/2021 at 7:28 AM, texan said:

UH gets quite a bit of love in the newly passed TRB (now called capital construction assistance projects) bill.

Medical research facility: $59,897,111

Hobby School of Public Affairs Building: $40,000,000

IDEA Lab: $52,409,972

https://capitol.texas.gov/tlodocs/873/billtext/pdf/SB00052F.pdf#navpanes=0

https://stories.uh.edu/2022PresidentPubLegislative/index.html

Speaking of government funding, UH intends to ask the state for a $1 billion permanent endowment during the 2023 legislative session. At first providing an extra $40-$50 million/year disbursement to the UH system, with the potential to grow it like the other state funds. 

This in addition with UH's current endowment of $1.103 billion (2021) will allow for a much needed boost in funding, especially for its goals to be a top 50 public university, and an invite into the AAU. 

Also, should allow for easier funding of campus buildings and ultimately higher quality projects. Should be a treat for us Haifers in the future. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, TheSirDingle said:

Speaking of government funding, UH intends to ask the state for a $1 billion permanent endowment during the 2023 legislative session. At first providing an extra $40-$50 million/year disbursement to the UH system, with the potential to grow it like the other state funds. 

This in addition with UH's current endowment of $1.103 billion (2021) will allow for a much needed boost in funding, especially for its goals to be a top 50 public university, and an invite into the AAU. 

Also, should allow for easier funding of campus buildings and ultimately higher quality projects. Should be a treat for us Haifers in the future. 

They've been trying to do this for years.  Has something changed that makes it likely to happen?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, august948 said:

They've been trying to do this for years.  Has something changed that makes it likely to happen?

There seems to be a huge surge in support from the legislative in Austin, along with the Governor also expressing support of the endowment. This also along with a $50 million appropriation for "institutional enhancements" in 2021 from the state that they've never received before, which is a type of funding UT/TAMU has been receiving for years, seems show a favorable push for something like this.

• Like 7

10 hours ago, august948 said:

Abbott recently proposed a $1 billion transfer into Tech's endowment to quell people who want to open the PUF up to more universities as a more realistic option. Probably the same thing happening for UH.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, texan said:

Abbott recently proposed a $1 billion transfer into Tech's endowment to quell people who want to open the PUF up to more universities as a more realistic option. Probably the same thing happening for UH.

Is that within his power as governor to do this or does it require legislation?  Proposals happen all the time so I've learned to ignore the words and wait for the action.  Is action imminent or is this something that's just being bandied about?

37 minutes ago, august948 said:

Is that within his power as governor to do this or does it require legislation?  Proposals happen all the time so I've learned to ignore the words and wait for the action.  Is action imminent or is this something that's just being bandied about?

It requires an appropriation from the Texas Legislature and his signature which is far easier than a PUF restructuring (constitutional amendment). He has said it's part of his agenda for the 88th Legislature so it will be seriously talked about it within a year.

• Like 2

On 4/24/2022 at 3:57 PM, august948 said:

Stopped by the Nook today for some coffee while my son was doing some group work at the architecture school.  Noticed a sign saying they are closing that little section of street where people park in front of the restaurant strip early May.

I think they only get to close a little bit of it beyond the intersection, specifically what they have already blocked off.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, TheSirDingle said:

I think UH will get the funding especially under Dr. Khator's leadership. I would never bet against her.

• Like 8

On 4/25/2022 at 4:42 PM, samagon said:

I think they only get to close a little bit of it beyond the intersection, specifically what they have already blocked off.

kind of hard to see if you don't have the context of how far the street used to be extend to the dead end, but about where the excavator is, that's about how far the street was. so they aren't taking that much more.

I don't think they're going to take any more.

PXL_20220428_004334930.jpg.76ebbf88c3e419b8801775d05086179a.jpg

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, samagon said:

kind of hard to see if you don't have the context of how far the street used to be extend to the dead end, but about where the excavator is, that's about how far the street was. so they aren't taking that much more.

I don't think they're going to take any more.

PXL_20220428_004334930.jpg.76ebbf88c3e419b8801775d05086179a.jpg

I hope not, but there are three signs taped to the stop signs at the beginning of that short piece of road that say "beyond this point".  Since they already have the end fenced off, I don't know why they'd put the signs there if they weren't going to take the rest of it.  I would think they would have given notice to the businesses there, though.

Complete tangent here...is the Nook taking over the old Calhoun's space?

2 hours ago, august948 said:

I hope not, but there are three signs taped to the stop signs at the beginning of that short piece of road that say "beyond this point".  Since they already have the end fenced off, I don't know why they'd put the signs there if they weren't going to take the rest of it.  I would think they would have given notice to the businesses there, though.

Complete tangent here...is the Nook taking over the old Calhoun's space?

I think I recall renderings from earlier in this thread that showed the street only taking about as much as they have blocked off. from the standpoint of access for emergency services, and even from the simpler aspect of having an address on the street, I think the street has to stay, at least in some fashion. 

we've been working on it for a while now, COH permitting is not being easy for us, we were planning on being open for this semester, but now we should be open in the summer.

Edited by samagon
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/28/2022 at 1:30 PM, samagon said:

I think I recall renderings from earlier in this thread that showed the street only taking about as much as they have blocked off. from the standpoint of access for emergency services, and even from the simpler aspect of having an address on the street, I think the street has to stay, at least in some fashion. 

they do have the full street blocked at the moment, but one of the workers told us that this is only temporary, and they will be bringing back, and better because they will have metered parking, so more more students parking on day 1 of class and then not moving for the rest of the semester.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the updates Hindesky. The new law school is such an improvement, and I like that its closer to the other buildings. I also noticed that they have cut a diagonal off the med school to the corner of MLK and OST to the train. They've already put in the sidewalk and lighting. I hated to see that area developed but it sure does look nice.

• Like 4