• 1 month later...

By coincidence I went by this brand new building, turns out it is the Judy Cook building, an alumni of UH.

"Finally, the Judy Cook Building in Third Ward will house the College of Education’s ACES Institute. This institute focuses on connecting our students and faculty with Third Ward community partners to help improve residents’ quality of life. The building will open very soon."

https://uh.edu/president/communications/fall-address/2022/

ZEE5cYa.jpg

7j0mtkQ.jpg

vMkXx9W.jpg

7vhrHCZ.png

SYxTyUg.png

• Like 9

Yep. And technically alumni actually only refers to men. Multiple Judies Cook would be alumnae.

But I'm fine with removing that distinction. It's a dumb thing to gender and just makes life harder.

Singular vs. plural is a meaningful distinction though. 

Edited by Texasota

4 hours ago, Texasota said:

Yep. And technically alumni actually only refers to men. Multiple Judies Cook would be alumnae.

But I'm fine with removing that distinction. It's a dumb thing to gender and just makes life harder.

Singular vs. plural is a meaningful distinction though. 

And, as with it's modern descendants, in Latin you use the masculine form, alumni, to refer to mixed groups of men and women.  I always wonder if people who get up in arms about gender usage in English have their heads explode when they find out that in much of the wider world languages can have distinctly patriarchal patterns deeply embedded.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, august948 said:

I always wonder if people who get up in arms about gender usage in English have their heads explode when they find out that in much of the wider world languages can have distinctly patriarchal patterns deeply embedded.

There have been plenty of newspaper articles in the last year about backlash against the term "Latinx" in the Hispanic community. 

I don't speak anything well enough to have an opinion on it.  Unless you count gibberish.  That I'm fluent in.

12 minutes ago, editor said:

There have been plenty of newspaper articles in the last year about backlash against the term "Latinx" in the Hispanic community. 

I don't speak anything well enough to have an opinion on it.  Unless you count gibberish.  That I'm fluent in.

I believe Latinx is an American English term.  What I'm talking about are things like word gender, where each noun is one of two or three genders (masculine, feminine, or neuter).  As such, the typical convention in Latin based languages is to use the masculine form for plurals where males are part of a mixed group.  For instance, in Spanish you would use the masculine form "ninos" to refer to a group of boys or a group of boys and girls, but if, and only if, the group is entirely girls would you use "ninas".

35 minutes ago, editor said:

That said, I know plenty of people who will not accept anything but. This seems to have been a tempest Bill Maher has attempted to stir up, and he's not what I would call "Latin"...

I'm a huge proponent of de-gendering all words.

I have an ottoperson in my living room. I don't go to Hermann park, I go to Personpersonn park, etc. /s

anyway, last week I was walking by what will be the Hub, it looks like they have covered the basement area.

Edited by samagon
  • Haha 4

14 hours ago, toxtethogrady said:

That said, I know plenty of people who will not accept anything but. This seems to have been a tempest Bill Maher has attempted to stir up, and he's not what I would call "Latin"...

I think many ethnic and racial classifications are sloppy and pointless. In my home during the 2010 census, including when my wife was alive, there were one "anglo", three children from central Asia form Siberian Russia, one "hispanic" who is ethnically half Lebanese hence half Asian (me). Our house was labeled Hispanic household though I was outnumbered 4 to 1. Now I am sometimes labelled a "Latino" having been born in Havana of Cuban parents, though I spent 67 of my 70 years in the Midwest or Texas.  I once tried explaining to a fellow Chinese scientist that here we call them "Mongloid" and I am called a "Caucasian", having to do with the Caucuses mountains. He thought our labels were weird which I agree. His labels weren't any better though. 

22 hours ago, august948 said:

And, as with it's modern descendants, in Latin you use the masculine form, alumni, to refer to mixed groups of men and women.  I always wonder if people who get up in arms about gender usage in English have their heads explode when they find out that in much of the wider world languages can have distinctly patriarchal patterns deeply embedded.

I have wondered the same thing. As you pointed out, nouns are gendered in every Romance language. I can't imagine that changing any time soon to reflect latter-day gender identity politics, but that probably gets into a debate of linguistic prescriptivists vs. descriptivists. Who knows what languages will look like in several hundred years - consider the differences between Chaucer's 14th-century English and that which is spoken today. 

1 hour ago, mkultra25 said:

I have wondered the same thing. As you pointed out, nouns are gendered in every Romance language. I can't imagine that changing any time soon to reflect latter-day gender identity politics, but that probably gets into a debate of linguistic prescriptivists vs. descriptivists. Who knows what languages will look like in several hundred years - consider the differences between Chaucer's 14th-century English and that which is spoken today. 

In several hundred years the most commonly spoken languages will be English derivatives.

On 3/23/2023 at 2:19 PM, hindesky said:

ftgL8kz.png

I am a graduate from Hilton College and am really hoping if UH is going go to modern with the all glass facade on the new hotel wing, then they need to reclad the old wing and the college itself. Does not look good to have that cement like facade and then this big massive modern glass facade. The whole complex needs to be the same design look or looks like put lip stick on a pig.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

spacer.png

spacer.png

^^^ mighty congratulations to all of the HAIF UH COUGARS upon this remarkable forum!  may your journey into the BIG XII CONFERENCE be filled with joy... love... happiness... and as many victories as you can fathom.  although, this will be our last season (TEXAS LONGHORNS) within the BIG XII, as we confidently approach the magnificent SEC CONFERENCE (2024) we shall undoubtedly harbor many many many glorious memories.  therefore, WE SALUTE YOU.  have big fun...  

• Like 8

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

"The University of Houston plans to re-open Agnes Arnold Hall for the fall semester, which had been closed since March after two separate incidents of students who died by suicide last school year. The building will now have temporary fencing around its verandas, stairwells and walkways. The school said it plans to install more permanent, vertical cabling in the areas next year."

https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/articles/news/houston/2023/08/17/459815/university-of-houstons-agnes-arnold-hall-to-re-open-with-temporary-fencing-after-student-deaths-last-school-year/

1MIlJ8p.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/18/2023 at 11:11 AM, hindesky said:

"The University of Houston plans to re-open Agnes Arnold Hall for the fall semester, which had been closed since March after two separate incidents of students who died by suicide last school year. The building will now have temporary fencing around its verandas, stairwells and walkways. The school said it plans to install more permanent, vertical cabling in the areas next year."

https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/articles/news/houston/2023/08/17/459815/university-of-houstons-agnes-arnold-hall-to-re-open-with-temporary-fencing-after-student-deaths-last-school-year/

1MIlJ8p.png

The only thing pleasant about that building was the breeze and feeling of openness. Rare for a pseudo brutalist midcentury bunker. Now they’ve made it look like a jail. 

• Like 3