4 hours ago, samagon said:

students are definitely back on campus! 

the activity was awesome to see today.

Interesting.  My son is going to be taking all online courses at UH again this semester and tells me the students and profs seem to prefer it that way.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, hindesky said:

Med school.

7lJp1ie.jpg

Hilton addition.

jMqASJ2.jpg

QTmrSwZ.jpg

Law school.

yhat1VW.jpg

snhyo0C.jpg

Trees serve a great purpose and are beautiful but we won't be able to enjoy the beauty of the building because of the trees in front of the medical school. I wish they could have arranged them differently or have smaller ones.

• Like 1
  • Confused 6

4 hours ago, texan said:

UH gets quite a bit of love in the newly passed TRB (now called capital construction assistance projects) bill.

Medical research facility: $59,897,111

Hobby School of Public Affairs Building: $40,000,000

IDEA Lab: $52,409,972

https://capitol.texas.gov/tlodocs/873/billtext/pdf/SB00052F.pdf#navpanes=0

Is this medical research facility the college of medicine building under construction now or is this a new building yet to be built. If it is a new building, I haven't heard any news of it.

6 minutes ago, Stew said:

Is this medical research facility the college of medicine building under construction now or is this a new building yet to be built. If it is a new building, I haven't heard any news of it.

Maybe it is The Health and Biomedical Sciences Building 2. https://uh.edu/facilities-services/projects/in-design/HBSB2/

Edited by Houston19514

Here's something interesting from UH's website regarding their lobbying priorities:

Medical Research Facility at TMC3

Fund debt service to construct facilities for medical and health-related innovations at the proposed TMC3 facility at the Texas Medical Center in Houston. These facilities will enable and promote entrepreneurship, including a close partnership between basic scientists, engineers, technologists, data experts, business disruptors and health care professionals.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, KinkaidAlum said:

This is from memory and I am officially old so it's not reliable, but I think UH built the building but several floors were not built out. Could this be funding to actually build out different labs in shell space? 

I know they already built out some floors in Health Science building 2 to start the college of medicine for 2 years until the medical school building is complete. The new medical school building will be ready Fall 2022.

• Like 1

That could be part of the answer. Medical classroom space is not the same as advanced biomedical research lab space. I bet the hospital will have patient rooms, doctor/professor offices, and classroom space and the BioMed Building will have advanced labs. Labs can cost tens of millions to build out. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, KinkaidAlum said:

That could be part of the answer. Medical classroom space is not the same as advanced biomedical research lab space. I bet the hospital will have patient rooms, doctor/professor offices, and classroom space and the BioMed Building will have advanced labs. Labs can cost tens of millions to build out. 

Whoah... I don't think UH is building a hospital. Are they?

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

Here's something interesting from UH's website regarding their lobbying priorities:

Fund debt service to construct facilities for medical and health-related innovations at the proposed TMC3 facility at the Texas Medical Center in Houston. These facilities will enable and promote entrepreneurship, including a close partnership between basic scientists, engineers, technologists, data experts, business disruptors and health care professionals.

The UH new building may be part of the new TMC3 which is the massive research campus near the Texas Medical Center. All the other Houston medical schools are part of it so I suppose UH will be also.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/article/TMC3-a-massive-biomedical-research-campus-at-16423937.php#photo-21414206

Edited by Stew
  • Like 1

Sorry, didn't mean to imply a full service hospital. However, it is my understanding that with a heavy focus on producing primary care physicians that the new facility will include patient care services. Most faculty will be primary care physicians who will run practices out of the new building. So there will be waiting rooms, exam rooms, and patient care rooms at a minimum. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/19/2021 at 12:58 PM, Houston19514 said:

In the UH President's Fall Address, Renu Khator mentioned that the medical research facility will be built in the Texas Medical Center or next to the new college of medicine building on campus. 

https://uh.edu/president/communications/fall-address/2021/

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...