- Centennial Master Plan

Future Initiatives: 

- Create a strong first impression

- Celebrate the heart and life of the University

- Build a walkable, welcoming, memorable campus

- Connect people, places and disciplines

- Design a sustainable, resilient campus

Building Updates (added or removed)

- The HUB (formerly “Auxiliary Retail Center”)

- John M. O’Quinn Law Building

- College of Medicine

- New Room Tower for Conrad N. Hilton College of Hotel and Restaurant Management

and Purchases or Boundary Updates (added or removed)

- None

Landscape, Art or Misc. Updates (added or removed)

- Color Field Temporary Art Exhibition

Notable Footprints:

College of Medicine district 

- Moody replacement

- 2 Buildings by stadium (garage and athletic center?)

- The Hub (replacement for the satellite)  

- 3 buildings north of the loop road.

Any renderings yet on the Moody rebuild and the Hub?

Law Center has officially topped off. It's also 38 days ahead of schedule, I guess they're pushing for that fall 2021 opening rather than fall 2022 😆.

Source: https://www.law.uh.edu/news/summer2021/0604ceremony.asp

The last beams were placed on the University of Houston Law Center's new state-of-the-art John M. O'Quinn Law Building during a recent "topping off" ceremony.

“I am so pleased that the contractors have made so much progress in light of the pandemic,” Baynes said. “In fact, they're 38 days ahead of schedule which is absolutely amazing. We thank them for their hard work.

Shepley Bulfinch served as the architecture firm for The John M. O'Quinn Law Building, and Austin Commercial is responsible for the construction of the facility. The building is expected to be open for the Fall 2022 semester.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLWn8OJpZVw&t=66s

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, TheSirDingle said:

Law Center has officially topped off. It's also 38 days ahead of schedule, I guess they're pushing for that fall 2021 opening rather than fall 2022 😆.

Source: https://www.law.uh.edu/news/summer2021/0604ceremony.asp

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLWn8OJpZVw&t=66s

There is now way they finish this for Fall '21. Possibly Spring '22 but I doubt that too.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

who was flying their drone yesterday evening over by the new law building?

just before sunset there was a drone hovering around the new law building for a good 10 minutes.

anyone here have some new photos of the new law building going up in the midst of a great sunset they want to share?

On 6/29/2021 at 10:37 AM, samagon said:

who was flying their drone yesterday evening over by the new law building?

just before sunset there was a drone hovering around the new law building for a good 10 minutes.

anyone here have some new photos of the new law building going up in the midst of a great sunset they want to share?

This is probably that drone flyover. https://fb.watch/v/rllPGAOv/

Below are more recent images. 

1.png

2.png

3.png

• Like 8

On 7/4/2021 at 10:49 AM, Stew said:

This is probably that drone flyover. https://fb.watch/v/rllPGAOv/

Below are more recent images. 

1.png

2.png

3.png

I am a passionate UH Alumni and try to keep track of all things UH from my die hard sports following to building developments on campus, but I have seen nothing on what UH plans to do with the old law building once the new one is completed. While they did give them a nice addition with a radio and television studio for projects and experience, the Media and broadcasting program could use a lot more room and consolidated classroom space. Maybe that be a good use for the old law building.

34 minutes ago, cougarpad said:

I am a passionate UH Alumni and try to keep track of all things UH from my die hard sports following to building developments on campus, but I have seen nothing on what UH plans to do with the old law building once the new one is completed. While they did give them a nice addition with a radio and television studio for projects and experience, the Media and broadcasting program could use a lot more room and consolidated classroom space. Maybe that be a good use for the old law building.

The new building would be located adjacent to the current 50-year-old Bates Law Building. In addition to its technological obsolescence, the Bate building never fully recovered from the severe flooding of Tropical Storm Allison in 2001, and more recently from Hurricanes Ike and Harvey.

More than half the building is underground, exposing operational space to recurring water damage during even moderately heavy rainfall. About half of the library space is unusable because of flooding that inflicted about $40 million is losses to its collection.

https://www.virtualbx.com/construction-preview/houston-uh-campaigns-for-90m-law-school-building/

• Like 8

I remember when the Subway reopened there at the Law School…

I ate many a decent sandwich, I also remember the last time I ate there.  

One of the workers making the sandwiches motioned for her manager to come over, manager comes over, she motions towards the loaf of bread.  The manager asks “did he see it?”.  The worker answers “no he did not!”  Mind you this is my sandwich!  I asked “what was wrong with the bread?”  They both look up at me and just stare through me with utter contempt.  I asked again “was something wrong with the bread?”  (I was being 100% polite, I wasn’t angry, just concerned). Again, they didn’t answer me but just continued to stare through me as if I weren’t there.  They did this another two times before I decided I wouldn’t eat that loaf of bread!  So I decided to play it safe and walk away, and not eat the: roach wing/rat dropping/drop of human blood/booger (who knows!)!  

The real kicker is the girl behind me blissfully accepted the same loaf even though she witnessed everything and even commented to me about it!

A new law school building is greatly needed!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, arche_757 said:

The real kicker is the girl behind me blissfully accepted the same loaf even though she witnessed everything and even commented to me about it!

To be fair, I think we all did worse for free/cheap food in law school.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

18 hours ago, JBTX said:

To be fair, I think we all did worse for free/cheap food in law school.

Hold on, just how many attorneys are in here? And more specifically, people who went to UH Law Center?

I guess I shouldn't be surprised, if Reddit has taught me anything it's that we attorneys are masters at efficiently wasting time on the internet while in the office.  

• Like 1

On 7/6/2021 at 1:40 PM, hindesky said:

The new building would be located adjacent to the current 50-year-old Bates Law Building. In addition to its technological obsolescence, the Bate building never fully recovered from the severe flooding of Tropical Storm Allison in 2001, and more recently from Hurricanes Ike and Harvey.

More than half the building is underground, exposing operational space to recurring water damage during even moderately heavy rainfall. About half of the library space is unusable because of flooding that inflicted about $40 million is losses to its collection.

https://www.virtualbx.com/construction-preview/houston-uh-campaigns-for-90m-law-school-building/

Thanks for the info. I am aware of the real need for the new law school and the new specs and amenities that are coming with it. I was just wondering what UH is going to do with the old law building once the new one is done. Are they just simply going to demolish the old law school?

4 minutes ago, cougarpad said:

Thanks for the info. I am aware of the real need for the new law school and the new specs and amenities that are coming with it. I was just wondering what UH is going to do with the old law building once the new one is done. Are they just simply going to demolish the old law school?

I'm guessing, but I would think they would demolish it and build another parking garage since it's a money pit for constant repairs.

• Like 5

I see that UH owns the warehouses south of Wholesale Electric, has there been any mention of future developments in this area? I wonder if they are waiting to buy out the Wholesale Electric property as well.

uh-property.JPG

Edited by robalob
  • Like 5

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...