Woah that new garage is going to be massive. Also like what they're doing with classrooms/studios on the older garage; looking pretty good. 
looking into the future this campus is going to be unrecognizable. Especially when they build the law center, moody redevelopment, tech annex demo/construction, etc. Going to be an insane next decade for UH. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, TheSirDingle said:

Woah that new garage is going to be massive. Also like what they're doing with classrooms/studios on the older garage; looking pretty good. 
looking into the future this campus is going to be unrecognizable. Especially when they build the law center, moody redevelopment, tech annex demo/construction, etc. Going to be an insane next decade for UH. 

That older garage you're talking about is brand new, just opened for the fall semester. They just haven't finished the buildings on the south side yet.

• Like 1

http://thedailycougar.com/2019/11/20/goodbye-satellite/

The UH System Board of Regents last Thursday approved to close the Satellite on April 30, 2020 and replace it with a new dining center...

Of course, students may not be surprised by the development, 
considering the flooding issues and the flurry of new dining options in the last few years — including the food trucks and delivery robots. Rosie Ashley, program director for Auxiliary Services, confirmed the Satellite is being shut down for these reasons...

The Auxiliary Retail Center will begin construction summer 2020 and will be completed by summer 2022, according to a UH System Board of Regents meeting on Nov. 14...

“The plan is to ultimately fill the Satellite in and put the new center there,” said Jim McShan, senior vice president and senior vice chancellor of administration and finance, at the meeting

Their vision for the eventual center, which the 
Auxiliary Services website refers to as a “Food Hall,” is grand and expansive...

Ashley said the design process is still in its early stages...The project has a budget of $35 million, approved by the Board of Regents

RIP Satellite. Looks like flooding finally took its toll.

Auxiliary Services website link  (Has quite a few retail plans for UH Main, such as the food truck park) :

https://uh.edu/af-auxiliary-services/uh-dining-vision-plan/retail-dining-vision/#plan22

• Like 3

From Vaughn FB....

Our project team at the University of Houston recently began structural precast erection on the Parking Garage 6 project - one day ahead of the milestone start date! Despite an incredibly wet fall, our team put in countless hours pumping water in the rain and working weekends to make up missed days. Thank you to our entire team, and congratulations!

FqPefrm.jpg

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/22/2019 at 4:21 PM, samagon said:

soil samples were being collected from the law parking lot yesterday morning.

Strange that I only found two obvious core samples in the whole parking lot. Seems like they would take a whole lot more but I'm no expert. Found a few surveyors wooden stakes for the new Law building. 

zLUVzmG.jpg

VyGqc4d.jpg

ONwccMZ.jpg

zzKUIge.jpg

UcX6yp0.jpg

Up52QPS.jpg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, hindesky said:

Saw this from the link @Urbannizer had on the Rotary International hotel, is this a new build?

8cWIxDo.png

https://www.dpr.com/projects/conrad-n-hilton-college-of-hotel-and-restaurant-management

Correct. It will be a renovation and several additions of the existing hotel. Was announced in March of last year.

• Like 4

On 5/28/2019 at 9:12 PM, ekdrm2d1 said:

ufftMNq.png

I went over and walked the site today. It was surprisingly pristine. I went in behind the big new sign announcing the site on MLK across from the park.

I went all of the way back to the feeder of the freeway on the far east side and then cut back north to the bayou and back to MacGregor Park. The ground was pretty much high and dry, and as far as standing water, I came across none. I did'nt see any presence of anyone living in the area, no litter, but I saw very little wild life. There was a stand of palm trees in the center of the property and I thought maybe U of H. had dumped them years ago, and they've grown. There were lots of toppled trees, that had rotted quite a bit. I didn't walk into the south end of the tract towards OST, and it looks a little denser and possibly a little lower lying. I just checked the one area today. Oh they have tagged a lot of trees with red and blue ribbons. I think these were to be torn out, by the size and types of threes that were tagged. Thought I'd pass along for those that were curious.

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Latest update for this site. I saw photographs of a pair of Eagles that have been living on the southeast corner of this tract amongst the dead trees for many years.

That would be the spur and OST corner for anyone who might be a birder or just curious about seeing Eagles in Houston. 

Actually, I saw the Eagles at Rice  Stadium back in 94. Sorry different Eagles. The best, was Pink Floyd, at Rice stadium, when a T.Storm was barreling down on the concert from the north. The lightning was really pretty amazing and brought a whole new meaning to special affects. Sorry I digressed.

The people that live in the area say that they see them regularly  early in the morning sitting up in the tops of the trees. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bobruss said:

Latest update for this site. I saw photographs of a pair of Eagles that have been living on the southeast corner of this tract amongst the dead trees for many years.

That would be the spur and OST corner for anyone who might be a birder or just curious about seeing Eagles in Houston. 

Actually, I saw the Eagles at Rice  Stadium back in 94. Sorry different Eagles. The best, was Pink Floyd, at Rice stadium, when a T.Storm was barreling down on the concert from the north. The lightning was really pretty amazing and brought a whole new meaning to special affects. Sorry I digressed.

The people that live in the area say that they see them regularly  early in the morning sitting up in the tops of the trees. 

If only we could get a couple of Eagles to live on the UH campus.

c8a6eb1dcde92c06233585888e689397--music-

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, bobruss said:

If eagles are nesting there, then the trees can't be cut. That happened in The Woodlands in a couple of places.

• Like 1

That was my concern. I haven't actually seen the live birds, but there are several photographs and eyewitnesses who say they've been there for a long time. Another woman said that they sometimes stayed in a tall pine tree in her yard and she loved that until she saw the side of the house and ground below their roosting area.

She said they had to power wash her wall and the dead carcasses of fish and entrails that they dropped were disgusting. She lives across O.S.T. from the area.

• Like 1

UH Law Center receives gift from local law firm, renames career services center 

A rendering of details of the new Law Center.

SHEPLEY BULFINCH

laura-gillespie-1*90xx1000-1333-0-0.png
By Laura Gillespie  – Reporter, Houston Business Journal 
5 hours ago

The University of Houston Law Center has received a significant gift from Houston-based law firm Porter Hedges LLP. 

The gift, for an undisclosed amount, will name the new law center’s career services office the Porter Hedges LLP Career Services Center, according to a press release. 

Porter Hedges has a number of Law Center alumni, including Partner Joshua Wolfshohl. The law firm was founded in 1981 and also has an office in Oklahoma City. 

"As a Houston-based firm, we have grown with the city over the last four decades and welcome an opportunity to give back to its premier law school," Wolfshohl said in the release. "We join the Law Center by investing in the students who will continue to leave their mark in Texas, across the country and around the world."

At the Law Center, the career services center connects students and employers, while also hosting career panels, networking events, workshops, mock interviews, job fairs, recruitment programs and an electronic job bank. 

“This donation to our school allows us to build a superior career services center attractive to both employers and students,” UH Law Center Dean Leonard Baynes said. “More importantly, it is an investment in our students, staff and administration who, along with the broader UH Law community, are working every day to make our school the premier law school in Texas.”

In November, the John M. O’Quinn Foundation gave an undisclosed amount to the Law Center. As a result, the new building will be named the John M. O’Quinn Law Building. 

The new building will stand on the northeast corner of the campus, between University Lofts and the existing law center. The building will cost $90 million and is scheduled to begin construction in summer 2020. It's being built partly because of the frequent water damage the old Law Center building suffered during heavy rainfall. Boston-based Shepley Bulfinch is the architect on the project, while Dallas-based Austin Commercial will serve as the builder. Both have Houston offices.

The John M. O’Quinn Foundation is “one of UH’s most generous financial benefactors,” a press release stated, and O’Quinn’s name is already on the O’Quinn Law Library, John M. O’Quinn Field at TDECU Stadium and the O’Quinn Great Hall in the UH Alumni Center. The foundation also gave $3.5 million to the new UH College of Medicine for startup costs and scholarships. 

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/12/2020 at 1:00 PM, hindesky said:

xWTqk5k.png

zgSOnW0.png

DavcSSH.png

U5vSkOm.png

Wow...the new garage looks massive compared to the existing garage.  Is that just a camera illusion?  In the right bottom corner it looks like they've built a retaining wall.  Is that area going to be for water detention?

• Like 1