• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

New HC coach of UH football Dana Holgorsen plans push for an operations building right by the new indoor practice facility. An early rendering of the facility from the thread in the second tweet. Coach Holgorsen is getting paid a base of 4 million, and has a coaching pool fund of 4.5 million both top 25 in the nation. 

It seems that there was already a plan to build the facility, given the date of the rendering. I think Coach Holgorsen is planning to configure the building to his liking, so that it best fits the program. 

Edited by TheSirDingle
  • Like 1

Rumblings of a big expansion of the Hilton on campus. It currently has 84 rooms. Expansion will add 68 rooms and 8 suites in a "new tower." Not sure if this will be added on to the current building (vertical expansion) or a new "tower" but if it is a vertical expansion, this might become the tallest on campus or at least rival the Moody twins.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, KinkaidAlum said:

Rumblings of a big expansion of the Hilton on campus. It currently has 84 rooms. Expansion will add 68 rooms and 8 suites in a "new tower." Not sure if this will be added on to the current building (vertical expansion) or a new "tower" but if it is a vertical expansion, this might become the tallest on campus or at least rival the Moody twins.

I would think that it would be a vertical expansion.  The Hilton is hemmed in by roads on two sides and a park and the Moody facilities on the others.  That said, the vertical expansion could be not on the current tower but of the 2 story parts used for conferences and to house classrooms.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, KinkaidAlum said:

http://www.uh.edu/facilities-planning-construction/fpc-projects/spotlight/uh-conrad-hilton/

• Like 4

So I can't figure out if the new Law building is considered an expansion or if it will be the new entire college. I would prefer if they built the new building and then connected it to the old one so they could use both. I know the new building is more floors but when taking note of the footprint of the old building it does not seem like the new building will be a large increase in square footage.

4 minutes ago, cougarpad said:

So I can't figure out if the new Law building is considered an expansion or if it will be the new entire college. I would prefer if they built the new building and then connected it to the old one so they could use both. I know the new building is more floors but when taking note of the footprint of the old building it does not seem like the new building will be a large increase in square footage.

Entirely new building. It's actually significantly smaller in square footage compared to the total they currently occupy.  But they say it will be much more efficient and usable space.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

Entirely new building. It's actually significantly smaller in square footage compared to the total they currently occupy.  But they say it will be much more efficient and usable space.

With the way that the Law College keeps growing it seems extremely short-sighted to not build with future growth on mind. I hope they don't regret not having the extra classroom space. I am not sure how many lecture halls the current building has but I always thought they would want and need more.

22 minutes ago, cougarpad said:

With the way that the Law College keeps growing it seems extremely short-sighted to not build with future growth on mind. I hope they don't regret not having the extra classroom space. I am not sure how many lecture halls the current building has but I always thought they would want and need more.

I can't find the numbers.  Can you define the way in which the Law college has been growing?

1 hour ago, cougarpad said:

If the university is going to drop several million on a new building I'm pretty sure they will take future growth into consideration. 

• Like 1

I would guess they'll eventually tear down the old school and do something with the space.  In the meantime they could use the old classrooms to accommodate overflow, but I would think they've already figured in what they need plus some to the new building.  The old space is a real rabbit warren and it could be that the higher square footage was wasted.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, TheSirDingle said:

Looks like they're gonna have to relocate Frontier Fiesta. 

Since this is the last garage in the recent construction boom on campus, it comes to wonder what they have in store for after 2019/2020.

They'll still be left with two large surface lots across from the Blaffer and School of Music, on both sides of Elgin.  Don't know how much land they own around the edges of campus, but most universities try to gobble that up as they can way in advance of development.  I guess the question is, with new facilities abounding around campus and a medical school in the works already, what else to they need?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, august948 said:

They'll still be left with two large surface lots across from the Blaffer and School of Music, on both sides of Elgin.  Don't know how much land they own around the edges of campus, but most universities try to gobble that up as they can way in advance of development.  I guess the question is, with new facilities abounding around campus and a medical school in the works already, what else to they need?

Wouldn't mind if they developed the land between Elgin st and 45 into something akin to a residential, and retail district. Also maybe finish filling in the south part of the campus to brays bayou. With almost 50k students attending the university, and a record of 10k freshman coming in. I'm sure they could easily support a few more dorms/apartments, or even a field of duplex's ( They're prime for colleges). The rundown land laying around Scott street could be useful for UH in the near future. 

Edited by TheSirDingle
  • Like 4

On 1/14/2019 at 9:34 AM, august948 said:

This morning I see they have 4 floors complete on this section.  I also noticed they've finished with the faculty lots across from the new garage and next to the shop facility.

They've got six sections done now and are working on the seventh.  Not sure how many in total but looks like the other garages are 10-12 sections or so.  Making fast progress.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...