• 2 weeks later...
On 12/12/2020 at 11:37 PM, apendido said:

Does anyone know what they are planning on doing with the two current buildings at the Law Center? Will they be torn down for a parking lot/garage?

I have not heard what they will do with the old law center. Half of the structure is below ground and floods all the time so I'm sure they will not re-purpose it. They will probably demolish it but there will be a gigantic hole there to backfill with dirt.

• Like 2

On 12/15/2020 at 9:25 AM, Stew said:

I have not heard what they will do with the old law center. Half of the structure is below ground and floods all the time so I'm sure they will not re-purpose it. They will probably demolish it but there will be a gigantic hole there to backfill with dirt.

Replacing it with a parking garage seems like the logical transition. Students use it while the new school is being built, and then tear it down when the new building is complete. 

• Like 2

On 12/16/2020 at 5:13 PM, Eastdwntwn said:

Replacing it with a parking garage seems like the logical transition. Students use it while the new school is being built, and then tear it down when the new building is complete. 

They have recently finished a new 5 level garage next to the law center so I doubt they make it a parking lot.

After demolishing the old law center, there will be a big hole in the ground. My guess is that they will make a small park with trees, a pond and ducks. Being disguised as a park and pond, its real purpose is to be a retention pond to help with flooding.

It would fit well with the campus green plans. Just my guess.

Edited by Stew
  • Like 6

They have recently finished a new 5 level garage next to the law center so I doubt they make it a parking lot.

After demolishing the old law center, there will be a big hole in the ground. My guess is that they will make a small park with trees, a pond and ducks. Being disguised as a park and pond, it's real purpose is to be a retention pond to help with flooding.

It would fit well with the campus green plans. Just my guess.

that's the best case scenario, worst case is another surface lot to replace the one that was removed to build the new law center :lol:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Stew said:

Did work stop on the medical school? I thought there would be vertical columns by now since it started before the law school.

I can't get too close but I'm assuming they are working on the foundation because it's so close to the bayou. Plus it has a large footprint even though it's not very tall.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, samagon said:

I'm not keeping track, but is this going to be more tower cranes on UH than in downtown?

Downtown has 7 right now, UH seems to finish a couple projects before they start many more. But downtown's tower cranes probably going to lose 2 or 3 fairly soon. I think the Sovereign and one of the Texas tower cranes come down next followed by the court house crane.

• Like 2

On 1/15/2019 at 6:46 AM, Urbannizer said:

Rumblings of a big expansion of the Hilton on campus. It currently has 84 rooms. Expansion will add 68 rooms and 8 suites in a "new tower." Not sure if this will be added on to the current building (vertical expansion) or a new "tower" but if it is a vertical expansion, this might become the tallest on campus or at least rival the Moody twins.

http://www.uh.edu/facilities-planning-construction/fpc-projects/spotlight/uh-conrad-hilton/

Details on the 8-story hotel tower addition.

yhNyg5T.png

• Like 6