On 9/24/2022 at 5:31 PM, hindesky said:

8zeBeCm.jpg

eYkYUVq.jpg

I see that they have torn away the ceiling with precise accuracy to leave the columns with rebar sticking out of the top of them.

Are they going to reuse the existing foundation and columns for the new building? This is interesting but I assume they would save money not buying concrete since construction material cost has gone way up.

Edited by Stew
  • Like 3

23 hours ago, Stew said:

I see that they have torn away the ceiling with precise accuracy to leave the columns with rebar sticking out of the top of them.

Are they going to reuse the existing foundation and columns for the new building? This is interesting but I assume they would save money not buying concrete since construction material cost has gone way up.

I'm no engineer, but the way this demo has progressed leads me to believe that this is just how the process works and we're seeing it in the middle stage right now.  I would also think that it would be safer to rebuild the foundation from scratch rather rely on existing structures not built for the purpose.

• Like 4

Cougar Grounds, the University of Houston’s student-run coffeehouse at the Conrad N. Hilton College of Global Hospitality Leadership, has moved to a new location that’s twice the size of the original. The move is part of a $30 million expansion and renovation of the University’s Hilton hotel that will see the addition of a new five-story, 70-room tower (currently scheduled to open in February 2023). The cafe serves coffee, pastries, and more to between 100 and 200 people per hour, according to a release.

https://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/food-news-roundup-fogo-de-chao-baybrook-clutch-city-cluckers-spring-superica-lunch/

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/29/2022 at 9:12 AM, august948 said:

I'm no engineer, but the way this demo has progressed leads me to believe that this is just how the process works and we're seeing it in the middle stage right now.  I would also think that it would be safer to rebuild the foundation from scratch rather rely on existing structures not built for the purpose.

It does appear they are using the existing foundation and columns since they have started building and is laying construction material on the existing foundation. If they were not going to use it, they would have destroyed the foundation and columns before construction. 

This is going to save a lot of $$ on expensive concrete and labor which is smart designing.

Screenshot_20221014_112940.jpg

Screenshot_20221014_113552.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stew said:

Nowhere in the article does it say that the Centennial Plaza will not come to fruition. . . The article is about them not replacing the College of Education with a new building once the Farish Hall is demolished to make way for the Centennial Plaza. 

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/31/2022 at 5:39 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

Image or video url links from Facebook and Instagram expire. Instead of hotlinking, it's best to save or upload photos or videos from those platforms to image hosting services. 

Makes sense. Thanks. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

"The University of Houston is expected to open its renovated on-campus hotel next week. 

The school’s Hilton College of Global Hospitality Leadership will reopen the Hilton-branded hotel that it spent more than $30 million renovating and expanding, the Houston Business Journal reported.

The UH Hilton, located at 4450 University Drive, is the only on-campus, full-service hotel in the country and will offer on-campus, real-world experience for students of the school’s hotel management program. About 70 percent of the hotel’s staff consists of students."

• Like 7