The Heights Restaurant And Bar Scene - More Coming

Freelander

They're going to have to hit the ground running this time because Town in City Brewing is off to a flying start.  My wife and I stopped in on Friday night after dinner and were very impressed.  We only had time for one each so we tried both of the IPA's and they were both good.  The feel of the place was very friendly, very neighborly.  And since it's walking distance from the house, it could be the local we've been looking for.  The crowd was on the younger side, 20's and 30's, but very Heights-esque with several dogs running around.  And at least for now they have parking access in that lot on the corner of Main and Cavalcade. 

I never ate at The EL.  After hearing that a few people got food poisoning from eating there, I was always afraid to try it.  I'll probably try the beer place when it opens, though. 

Glad to hear that Town & City is doing well.  We've been patiently waiting for them to open, and we plan to make it over there in the near future.

I ate at the El. I never pay attention to others and their opinions on any businesses in the neighborhood. I thought I'd give it a try because it was new and they had a good location and I like Mexican food. There are way too many crappy folks that like to put down businesses behind their keyboards.

I tried it and I knew that there were other choices close by that were cheaper and the food was better. Beer was nice and the decor was cool.

Fun fact: there was a lowrider bike at the entrance to give it an authentic Latino look. In the early to mid 80's, there used to be kids that would ride these bikes from their home to Stude Park.

That's weird, he did offer average Tex-Mex! 

If it were average Tex-Mex, life would have been fine.  Unfortunately, it was at Maggie Rita's / Pancho's level, if that.

Manky fish tacos are not part of "average."

• 1 month later...

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/09-29-15-everythings-finally-hunky-dory-as-restaurateurs-get-ready-to-open-three-highly-anticipated-eateries/

http://www.chron.com/entertainment/restaurants-bars/article/First-look-Hunky-Dory-restaurant-ready-to-wow-6536202.php

I peaked in the window at the Hunky Dory/Bernadine's building.  Hsu's design is stunning.  Also peaking in the Foreign Correspondents build out, they have some fun murals on the wall.  I hope it is more accessible in terms of an easy place to get in and out for a weeknight dinner without blowing out your budget for the week.  Hunky Dory and Bernadine's definitely look to be very pricey, which is understandable given the cash they put down on building out from the ground up.  But Foreign Correspondents is going in an existing space.  Hopefully that will allow them to have a more moderately priced menu.

Lee's Fried Chicken and Donuts is supposed to be doing a soft opening in the next few weeks.  8 Row Flint looks to be close to completing its build out but no word on an opening schedule.  Southern Goods, Ka Sushi and Black and White are all up and running.  

So, back to the title of this thread, is it untrue now that there is a lack of diversity? This thread was created in 2006 and I feel like the Heights area has come a veeeeeeeeeeeery long way. I live near Morningstar/Foreign Correspondence so I can't wait!

So, back to the title of this thread, is it untrue now that there is a lack of diversity? This thread was created in 2006 and I feel like the Heights area has come a veeeeeeeeeeeery long way. I live near Morningstar/Foreign Correspondence so I can't wait!

This thread has long been the unofficial restaurant rumor thread for Heights HAIF.  The title of the thread just adds to the charm given that the restaurant scene in the Heights has so radically changed since the thread was started in 2006. 

• Like 1

Has Witchcraft closed down? I drove by yesterday and it was closed, lights out. We stopped going when they decided to change their menu. 

bad mistake if you stopped going bc of the menu change - the revamped menu/format is awesome and the chef is the real deal. they're no longer open for lunch, though. they open at 4pm now.

The Delicious Concepts people that run Witchcraft seem to never ever give up no matter what! Based on the press the put out for their last change a month ago we had no ambition to ever go and it seems like they are not getting the uptick in customers they were hoping for.  Will they "revamp" the place again andfads try 4 different concepts in 3 years? Can't help thinking that being in such a small space next to a pay day lender and mattress store is helping.

Edited by bedmondson

bad mistake if you stopped going bc of the menu change - the revamped menu/format is awesome and the chef is the real deal. they're no longer open for lunch, though. they open at 4pm now.

No I don't think so. We tried it twice and were unhappy with it both times. The waiter, who was new, told us that they were looking for a 'certain type' of clientel since they had a new chef. Im sure he wasnt supposed to tell us that. The food did look nice on the plate. Lol

I guess we will wait for their next change. 

The Delicious Concepts people that run Witchcraft seem to never ever give up no matter what! Based on the press the put out for their last change a month ago we had no ambition to ever go and it seems like they doesn't seem like they are getting the uptick in customers they were hoping for.  Will they "revamp" the place try 4 different concepts in 3 years? Can't help thinking that being in such a small space next to a pay day lender and mattress store can't help.

I dont think its location next to those places mattered. I do think that the inconsistency of their food and drinks does. Its a nice small location. 

• 2 weeks later...

I dont think its location next to those places mattered. I do think that the inconsistency of their food and drinks does. Its a nice small location. 

Recently in the Houston Press :

Interestingly, Ken Bridges of Delicious Concepts announced this morning that Witchcraft Tavern & Provisions Co. will re-emerge as Republic Diner + Sojubang, “the area’s only kitchen and bar offering a Korean menu.” 

I liked the curries at their original place. The Witchcraft Tavern was handy for a high-class burger & craft beer before or after a visit to Kroger; also for the occasional happy hour, with interesting snacks at the bar. 

Never made it to the "new" place.  The revamped bus system has made access less convenient (while making many other places more convenient).  And the "no lunch" policy made it useless on the weekend.

Location might matter for a place with what appeared to be a trendy, pricey, mostly-appetizers menu. Perhaps more suited for those hitting another bar or restaurant nearby, or looking at some interesting shops or galleries. Bundled with a trip to Kroger, Ross or Tuesday Morning, not so much.  Hope the new plan works out. 

Meanwhile, the El Cantina Superior remains shuttered. Their site promises a "Relaunch" but there has been no sign of work.  (I think a Brewpub was mentioned.)  Too bad.  The location is great & they put a lot of work into the place. But, except for the period when the Liberty Kitchen people had their hands in, their Tex-Mex was definitely sub-par......

Edited by MaggieMay

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Something called "Black Dragon" has a TABC private club notice up at the old Chirps Chicken on W 20th.  I cannot get any further information on the TABC website search engine, but I have always had a hard time getting everything formatted just right to get a response.  So, no clue who is doing this or what it will be other than a place called Black Dragon that serves some alcohol.

• Like 1