The Heights Restaurant And Bar Scene - More Coming

Freelander

I was on 610 the other day and saw there was Chipotle between shepard and Ella now? 

BTW, I agree that Paper Co Coffee is a good place.  I'm trying to find ways to go there more, but saturday/sunday mornings are my go to coffee shop times and that is when the church is in session...

"Stella Sola" building leased out.  The last group from Yucatan Taco Stand leased for over a year and never did anything with it.  A new group has now leased this building.

With these openings, and Southern Goods on the next block East, it's good to see development reaching this end of 19th street. Unfortunately the blocks between Lawrence and Ashland are not very pedestrian friendly, so the two ends of 19th St feel isolated from each other.

I'd like to see Chase do something with that low-density bank drive-thru at Nicholson and 19th. Street-facing retail there could really help tie 19th together.

I'd like to see Chase do something with that low-density bank drive-thru at Nicholson and 19th. Street-facing retail there could really help tie 19th together.

Interesting, I was just driving down 19th yesterday and had the exact same thought.

Bank branches are getting smaller due to the proliferation of online banking and industry consolidation.  Several of the banks I work with have been trying to consolidate their real estate portfolios to reduce expenses 

I wonder if anyone has contacted Chase with a proposal to lease the land, in return for Chase getting an endcap space or pad site in a new development? 

I was talking to a guy who was a VP at a local credit union about how ridiculous it is that the city required a zillion spaces for banks when no one goes to the bank in person anymore.  He said that his branches in the burbs need every parking space and have lots of customers in the teller line all day long.  Maybe small credit unions get more face time with their customers than the monster banks like Chase.

I certainly agree that the Chase property is underutilized.  It is a sea of empty parking spaces and drive-up teller spots that are never used.  Between the Chase property and the old City waterworks, you could build just about anything. 

Q: A recent post on the Houston blog Swamplot said you'd been sighted at the Shiloh Club in the Heights, leading to heavy speculation that you're planning to open a restaurant there. Was that really you at the bar?

A: I was not there.

Q: Are you considering opening a restaurant in the area?

A: No. The way that I'm set up, I have to do a lot of business, and they're more smaller restaurants. Brenner's on the Bayou could be there. But that's probably around here the only (Landry's) restaurant that could be in the Heights. But the Heights is a great treasure. I'm glad they kept the building restrictions there.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/article/Houston-billionaire-plans-expansion-even-as-5917677.php

There is a TABC application notice up at 4706 N. Main.  Have not heard anything else and cannot tell anything from the business entity on the notice. 

Also, the rumor mill has officially thrown Treadshack (Down House, Hunky Dory, etc.) into the mix as a possible successor to the Boom Boom Room space.

Primo location.  The building will get a light remodel.  An improvement nevertheless.

Gatlin BBQ moving to 3510 Ella 

Gatlin’s BBQ is growing up. The family-owned business that has been a local barbecue success story since it opened in June 2010 has long since outgrown its tiny storefront at 1221 W. 19th St. Now it is eying a larger location for its honest, homey barbecue that comes with a huge side order of hospitality.

This week the Gatlin family intends to sign a lease to open a much larger barbecue restaurant at 3510 Ella Boulevard at 34th Street, said Greg Gatlin who owns the business with his parents, Mary and Henry Gatlin. The new store, at 4,200 square feet, is huge compared to the 700-square-foot store (not including the 1,000-square-foot pit room) that the family currently operates. The new restaurant is expected to open in May

http://blog.chron.com/foodchronicles/2014/12/gatlins-bbq-to-open-larger-restaurant/#29014101=0

Restaurant Death Watch Reprieve:  The El reopened on Wednesday.  Not enough time to do a total revamp, but maybe to think about addressing issues listed on Yelp, Reddit, Google, and the Houston Press.  They did seek outside expertise but no deal was executed AFAIK but maybe they will implement the free advice given.  Or maybe not. :rolleyes:

After months of negotiations and shopping around different partners, the deal was done two weeks ago.  It's official.

Liberty Kitchen will run things now.

LK is taking over The El? 

http://blog.chron.com/foodchronicles/2014/12/liberty-kitchen-owners-to-manage-and-operate-the-el-cantina-superior-in-the-heights/#29063101=0

That is correct.  Very interesting that the rival restaurant groups are willing to work together on a restaurant.  I have family in the restaurant biz.  The standard operating procedure is to let your rival fail hard and thin the herd.  

After months of negotiations and shopping around different partners, the deal was done two weeks ago.  It's official.

Liberty Kitchen will run things now.

I've eaten plenty of Pink's Pizza, Lola's debris, etc. - enough to know that they can be pretty uneven. IMHO that's why the El was not living up to its potential.

ren-and-stimpy-gif.gif

Also, Los Cucos is finally opening this weekend.  It is supposed to be a more upscale concept than the stuff they have in the burbs. 

I tried them this weekend and was pleasantly surprised. I had been to other Los Cucos restaurants near the outer burb areas but this one was very different.  The drinks were on point too! Great little place but its kind of pricey. 

http://houston.eater.com/2014/12/15/7396455/meet-commonwealth-tqlas-replacement-on-washington-ave#4360032

Not in the Heights proper, but a good article from Houston Eater on a couple restaurants coming to Washington Ave.  Also, Urban Eats is now open on Washington Ave (http://houston.eater.com/2014/12/3/7329125/urban-eats-on-washington-avenue-now-open).  It is supposed to be breakfast, lunch and dinner with a bar too.  Live music on weekends.  Looks good.

All of the above shows a definite trend along Washington Ave towards a transition away from a party spot to a restaurant corridor for grown ups.  

S3mh,

The unfortunate part of that is the party scene has been a lot more prevelant on White Oak lately.  I was just at Onion Creek Friday night and was discussing with one of the long time bartender's about how the scene had shifted dramatically in the past year.  (He was saying they have had to call the police and other bars more frequently lately to warn them about the drunken idiots causing problems). 

http://houston.eater.com/2014/12/15/7396455/meet-commonwealth-tqlas-replacement-on-washington-ave#4360032

Not in the Heights proper, but a good article from Houston Eater on a couple restaurants coming to Washington Ave. Also, Urban Eats is now open on Washington Ave (http://houston.eater.com/2014/12/3/7329125/urban-eats-on-washington-avenue-now-open). It is supposed to be breakfast, lunch and dinner with a bar too. Live music on weekends. Looks good.

All of the above shows a definite trend along Washington Ave towards a transition away from a party spot to a restaurant corridor for grown ups.

I'm perfectly happy with that

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/12-16-14-big-sexy-promises-it-will-worth-the-wait-for-donut-emporium-looks-for-new-chicken-space/

Bird House will close and possibly move to GOOF, mitigating the Heights Fried Chicken Glut of 2014. 

Hugs and Donuts now looking at mid January to open.  Link above has some good perspective on the plight of the little guy in the whole build out/permitting gambit in Houston.

Word on the street is Revival Market and Coltivare owners, Ryan Pera and Morgan Weber have more than their eyes set on a property for an upcoming concept. The duo are rumored to have purchased an abandoned building on the corner of Yale and West 11th Street. A former Citgo stationresides on the property located at 1039 Yale, littered in concert posters and street art. Pera and Weber's spokesperson couldn't confirm if plans for a third concept existed, but if sources are correct, the lot will transform into the pair's next restaurant, likely by 2016. 

The Revival Market duo have had a banner year with the opening of its rustic Italian restaurant Coltivare in January. Earning constant raves from local media, Best New Restaurant nomination fromBon Appétit and one of Garden & Gun's best dish of the South since, whatever Pera and Weber may have up their sleeves will be worth keeping an eye out for.

http://houston.eater.com/2014/12/29/7433043/coltivare-owners-ryan-pera-and-morgan-weber-may-possibly-have-plans#4363648