The Heights Restaurant And Bar Scene - More Coming

Freelander

http://blog.chron.com/foodchronicles/2015/02/heights-ice-house-in-the-works-from-revival-market-and-coltivare-partners/#30758101=0

I am a big fan of Coltivare and Revival, but have to give this one a "moo".  We are in a tex-mex surplus in the Heights.  I guess it could get interesting if they did a fusion taco-esque concept.  But if it is just straight tex-mex, it will have to really crush it to get me to pay the kind of prices I know they will be charging.  I would almost rather them open D&T II.  

EQ is in soft opening in the drab bungalow on Heights and 11th.  I will give them a week or two before trying.  I really hope it is good.  Nothing beats that patio for a morning coffee on a nice day. 

This will be as much about the food as it is the drinks.

...not least because in order to get a private club permit, they'll need to serve "complete meals".

If this weren't in the dry area, it might be feasible to do something similar to D&T.

Seems clear to me that this a bar that happens to serve food. They've clearly given a lot of thought to the drinks, with some interesting and unusual items (frozen cocktails, swigs, bracers and custom-finished bourbon) and less thought to the food (queso, guacamole and tacos).

That said, the original breakfast tacos at Revival, with the guajillo-braised beef, were outstanding, and I'd love to be able to eat that again.

I was hoping for an ice house type place at the recently demoed 927 Studewood property.  They appear to have purposely left the core building in tact and it now looks Cottoonwood-esque.  However this looks to be in a location that could use this type development more. I wonder how much longer the trailer homes next door will last?

I wonder how much longer the trailer homes next door will last?

I thought I saw an article somewhere about the trailer park where the owner said that they were going to keep the property and pass it on to their kids so they could build a house there.

I was hoping for an ice house type place at the recently demoed 927 Studewood property.  They appear to have purposely left the core building in tact and it now looks Cottoonwood-esque.  However this looks to be in a location that could use this type development more. I wonder how much longer the trailer homes next door will last?

they are currently red tagged which may be why the "core building" is still standing. 

http://houston.eater.com/2015/2/25/8109951/activity-outside-former-stella-sola-space

Following the breadcrumbs, the manager of "Kitchen Snapper" is the same name of the owner of a few international Mediterranean restaurants. Could be a coincidence.

Of the two principals listed for Kitchen Snapper, LLC, one has a name uncommon enough to get reasonable Google results, and appears to be owner/manager of three seafood restaurants in Mexico City.

http://r.lampuga.com.mx/

Guessing this will be a similar concept.

and how does a demo get red tagged? Did they some how tear it down improperly? And how would you 'correct' a red tagged demo?

Swamplot lists 927 Studewood as having a demo permit today.  The city does come out and inspect prior to issuing a demo permit and will leave a green tag if the permit is granted.  I do not know why this property would have trouble with a demo permit, but it looks like they are moving forward.  

I ate at Chicken Ranch, did one of the family packs for just Me/Wife/Toddler and it was a massive pile of food at a reasonable price.  The chicken was pretty good, one of the breasts was so big, it was likely more meat than a 5 piece from other chicken places.  Sides were good too.  

and how does a demo get red tagged? Did they some how tear it down improperly? And how would you 'correct' a red tagged demo?

Swamplot lists 927 Studewood as having a demo permit today.  The city does come out and inspect prior to issuing a demo permit and will leave a green tag if the permit is granted.  I do not know why this property would have trouble with a demo permit, but it looks like they are moving forward.  

If I remember to, I'll take a look at the red tag next time I wander by the Valero next door... but I suspice that the red tag might be a result of starting demo without the proper permits.  

It looks like the roof on 927 Studewood collapsed. 

Tried Equilibrium.  Coffee is better.  Triple berry tart is still there, but other pastries look to be from Angela's oven.  Very much in the midst of a soft opening.  Interior is brighter and very polished.  There is new furniture for the deck, which is nice.  But I did not notice any umbrellas. 

http://houston.eater.com/2015/2/25/8109951/activity-outside-former-stella-sola-space

Following the breadcrumbs, the manager of "Kitchen Snapper" is the same name of the owner of a few international Mediterranean restaurants. Could be a coincidence.

http://houston.eater.com/2015/3/5/8157409/new-seafood-restaurant-dives-into-studewood

• 2 weeks later...

Pho Binh?  They are always on a bunch of top restaurant lists for Houston.  Already have a few places to get pho nearby but I think this place would do well.

http://houston.eater.com/2015/3/17/8231019/vietnamese-mini-chain-rumored-to-replace-shuttered-heights-bistro

Samurai Noodle on Durham and I10 is a good ramen shop that is now open.