The Heights Restaurant And Bar Scene - More Coming

Freelander

http://www.chron.com/entertainment/restaurants-bars/article/Funky-Chicken-Bradley-s-Finer-Diner-closed-6745923.php

So far, The El, Piatto, Witchcraft and the two Bradley Ogden ventures are the only closings in the great restaurant boom of the ought 10s.  Java Java was more of a retirement.

I think Ogden seriously underestimated the Houston market and maybe his ability to operate outside his Larkcreek restaurant group.   Houstonians will not blindly flock to a big name chef's restaurant if the food is not up to par.  

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.chron.com/neighborhood/heights/business/article/Chicago-pizza-favorite-Connie-s-coming-to-6775099.php

My wife lamented that we eat too much Pink's pizza the other day.  i told her, patience my dear.  

Now, it is time for the folks living nearby to start telling everyone that there will be fist fights at 2 am and people going poopy in the alleys if this little gelato stand gets to serve a few pizzas. 

I do admire how Gelazzi has managed to open and now expand their business without, as far as I can tell, providing a single off street parking space. I wish other businesses could do the same.

Imagine: a zero-setback commercial building with no off-street parking. It's almost like living in a city.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, the urinating in yards really did happen when Gelazzi tried to become a bar.  For the TABC protest, neighbors had to take time out of their lives because the noise, urinating, parties.. was so incredibly awful.   Gelazzi would not negotiate with their neighbors to limit the negative behavior.  And as a result Gelazzi was denied a TABC license.  You can read the TABC docs.  I did just for fun because my neighbors had a copy.  Many people showed up to testify about the poor behavior they witnessed from patrons and the owners.  . 

Let's hope the people at Connie's Pizza are able to exercise enough control to make sure adequate restrooms are provided.  Right now they do not have enough restrooms or parking per City code to operate a restaurant.  I hope they will do the right thing and install restrooms the public can actually access.

Also, Gelazzi/Connie's Pizza is not functioning as a take out place. Pinks is a takeout place; no tables, no eat in.  However, people were eating pizza at Gelazzi, this weekend, both indoors and outdoors.  This reminds me of the crawfish place the City shut down because they had tables.

Remember that?

Unfortunately, the urinating in yards really did happen when Gelazzi tried to become a bar.  For the TABC protest, neighbors had to take time out of their lives because the noise, urinating, parties.. was so incredibly awful.   Gelazzi would not negotiate with their neighbors to limit the negative behavior.  And as a result Gelazzi was denied a TABC license.  You can read the TABC docs.  I did just for fun because my neighbors had a copy.  Many people showed up to testify about the poor behavior they witnessed from patrons and the owners.  . 

Let's hope the people at Connie's Pizza are able to exercise enough control to make sure adequate restrooms are provided.  Right now they do not have enough restrooms or parking per City code to operate a restaurant.  I hope they will do the right thing and install restrooms the public can actually access.

Also, Gelazzi/Connie's Pizza is not functioning as a take out place. Pinks is a takeout place; no tables, no eat in.  However, people were eating pizza at Gelazzi, this weekend, both indoors and outdoors.  This reminds me of the crawfish place the City shut down because they had tables.

Remember that?

Do you even live in the Heights?  I had a slice at Pinks with my kids just this past weekend.  They love sitting at the tables with the stools that spin around.  Gelazzi served ice cream.  They never served a drink.  Neighbors were upset with Coltivare and presumed that Gelazzi was subterfuge for a Washington Ave. bar.  It wasn't.  it was just a hard working couple who opened a little ice cream shop that is loved by the neighborhood that can't serve gelato made with liquor ('cause everyone knows that if you want to get rowdy drunk, you eat a bucket of 5% ABV gelato).  The crawfish place on 11th shut down last year because the crawfish season was over.  They are back open with lots of people gobbling up mudbugs and peeing all over people's porches all weekend.  They had tables too.  Better call the city and shut them down.  Maybe they can share the pad Funky Chicken left vacant with Connie's pizza so our neighborhood can stop being so damn walkable and full of great places to eat.

• Like 2

Heights' El Cantina Site Won't be a Brewpub After All

920x1240.jpg

Plans for the shuttered El Cantina Superior site near the White Oak dining and entertainment area have changed again. Rather than a brewpub that makes beer on site, the Heights space now is slated to open in mid-March as a casual restaurant called Ritual with an in-house butchershop and an "extensive" craft-beer lineup.

• Like 2

Remember that?

Time to block this fool. Life is too short.

There is some sort of presumably Asian (judging from condiments on the table and art work on the walls) counter service restaurant that looks pretty close to being ready to open at 502 E. 20th next to Prestigious nails.  I know nothing about it other than what I saw peaking through the window the other day.

Do you even live in the Heights?  I had a slice at Pinks with my kids just this past weekend.  They love sitting at the tables with the stools that spin around.  Gelazzi served ice cream.  They never served a drink.  Neighbors were upset with Coltivare and presumed that Gelazzi was subterfuge for a Washington Ave. bar.  It wasn't.  it was just a hard working couple who opened a little ice cream shop that is loved by the neighborhood that can't serve gelato made with liquor ('cause everyone knows that if you want to get rowdy drunk, you eat a bucket of 5% ABV gelato).  The crawfish place on 11th shut down last year because the crawfish season was over.  They are back open with lots of people gobbling up mudbugs and peeing all over people's porches all weekend.  They had tables too.  Better call the city and shut them down.  Maybe they can share the pad Funky Chicken left vacant with Connie's pizza so our neighborhood can stop being so damn walkable and full of great places to eat.

Thanks for the reality check.  

I was wondering--which Gelazzi are they talking about?  I thought they just served frozen treats.  (Delicious frozen treats.)  

So, I was not hallucinating....

Remember that?

WTH! This post is comical ^^^^. All I see at Gelazzi are families or couples w/kids, etc. Those good folks had an X on their backs before they even opened. Sad to see how some folks can try to ruin other people’s hard work by spreading rumors and lies. 

White Oak isn’t my cup of tea on the weekends but during the week we like to grab a gelato. 

P.S. I met the owners when they opened. Very nice folks.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The spot where 18 hands gallery on 19th just closed has a TABC private club notice up.  The business entity has a d/b/a of "We Olive", which is also the name of a wine bar/specialty olive oil retailer in Austin that looks to be set up to franchise the concept.  Just tracing the bread crumbs at this point and not confirmed.  Proprietors are from the neighborhood.  With rents going through the roof, I can understand the trend of going with "it worked in Austin" versus taking a chance on a new concept.  But the way new places like Southern Goods and the Bernadines/Hunky Dory compound are printing money, I wonder whether the bigger risk is transplanting a ready-made concept.

I also wonder what is going on with Alli's pizzeria.  They are just phoning it in.  They have sucked me in with the kid friendly stuff.  But there is no way they can keep it going once Il Cane Rosso and Mellow Mushroom open.  

• Like 1

It's Nam Eatery, a Vietnamese restaurant at 502 E 20th St, either Ste B or Ste C.

I went there last night for some Pho.  The lady next to me had the shaking beef which she like very much.  I enjoyed the place. 

Has anyone noticed the Church's on 27th and Yale has closed? I was talking to a business owner there on Yale, who is also a longtime friend having grown up with him in Sunset Heights, who said the clinic next door is closing at the end of the month and both buildings will be demolished for a new Sunset Heights Whole Foods Market.

He is certainly not one to make things up. He recently received a healthy offer for his own business, which takes up half a block of Yale, and rejected it outright. Laughed it off, saying he's too young to retire. I've done some digging around and I see nothing on the internet that confirms or even mentions this apparent future for the east side of Yale between East 27th & 28th.

I suppose we'll know when and if the clinic closes, that something is truly up. Anyone with access to who ownership knowledge of the old Church's property is, or the clinic next door, notice any recent changes?

Edit to add: address for Church's is 2702 Yale.

Edited by Purpledevil

• 2 weeks later...

Now that the title of this thread has been disproven in recent years, I now wonder to what extent we may be seeing some oversaturation.  I hear about all these new and cool things coming to the Heights and love it but am wondering if they're all sustainable at this point.  Then last night on a rare Tuesday when I didn't have to watch the kids, I went out, and the neighborhood restaurants (at least the white oak ones) were crazy busy.  On a Tuesday.  I am always happy to see that much engagement and support for our local eateries, but on the same note I miss being able to walk to your local restaurant and actually find a table to sit at.  So I guess the answer is, no we're not oversaturated.  Yet.

• Like 1

So many of the new restaurants have hit it out of the park.  Starting with Coltivare, then Southern Goods and the new Treadsack trio, people are coming from all over to dine in the Heights.  So, I do not think the new restaurants run any risk of exceeding demand from the neighborhood because many of the tables are full of people from all over Houston. And there are still a bunch on the way:

Rice Box concept

60 Pioneers

mellow Mushroom

Cane Rosso

Bernie's Burger Bus

Ritual (or whatever it will be called when Ken Bridge figures out what to do with the ill fated "El")

And there is the potential for two full service restaurants at Heights Mercantile, smaller counter service concepts at Yale and 12th, Yale and 14th (old bakery building), and the Studewood development, and possibly a full service restaurant at the old post office building.  We could have a dozen new restaurants in a year from now. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...