The Heights Restaurant And Bar Scene - More Coming

Freelander

Revival Market put in more seating this weekend.  I will start my own speculation that they might start doing some dinner service once they get a booze permit.  Maybe that will give them the chance to get a menu ready for a new concept at the gas station.

Also, Foreign Correspondents has landed at the Braun soon to be remodeled strip center on N. Main just up the street from Spanish Flowers.  The framing is up at W 18th for the other two restaurants.  

These prices at these restaurants are just ridiculous. Ive lived here a long time and its comical what some folks think is good food. How are you going to open a Mexican restaurant that doesnt serve REAL Mexican food? Putting a car on a building and hanging up colorful lights doesnt do it. The food folks. Its the food.SMH. I'll just keep on making a trip to the other side of 45 or East Houston for some authentic Mexican Food. 

These prices at these restaurants are just ridiculous. Ive lived here a long time and its comical what some folks think is good food. How are you going to open a Mexican restaurant that doesnt serve REAL Mexican food? Putting a car on a building and hanging up colorful lights doesnt do it. The food folks. Its the food.SMH. I'll just keep on making a trip to the other side of 45 or East Houston for some authentic Mexican Food. 

Rents go up, so do the prices.  That's why the most interesting restaurants are rarely found in the nicest neighborhoods.

I'm sure we'll see more places close due to rent pressure or demolition this year. 

Rents go up, so do the prices.  That's why the most interesting restaurants are rarely found in the nicest neighborhoods.

I'm sure we'll see more places close due to rent pressure or demolition this year. 

I agree with this, but if you are going to put out a product in a city that is saturated with plenty of delicious 'authetintic' foods, it better be at least close to it. Just my opinion.

Since the Liberty Oyster crew took over, The El Cantino Real Superior food has improved considerably.  As has the service.  Of course it's their spin on Mexican food--but it's tasty.  

(What is REAL Mexican food?  Tex-Mex?  Or from some region of Mexico?  Which region? High-brow or low-brow?  Seafood? The city boasts fine examples of all those subtypes & they all get my money in turn. El Superior is, at last, a good addition to the neighborhood.)

Since the Liberty Oyster crew took over, The El Cantino Real Superior food has improved considerably.  As has the service.  Of course it's their spin on Mexican food--but it's tasty.  

(What is REAL Mexican food?  Tex-Mex?  Or from some region of Mexico?  Which region? High-brow or low-brow?  Seafood? The city boasts fine examples of all those subtypes & they all get my money in turn. El Superior is, at last, a good addition to the neighborhoo

I'm sure it will be. The decor and colors are beautiful.  <_< Food is OK at best and yes they are getting your money. Im just saying if you explore a little, there are many hidden gems around the area.....for so much less $$.

What is real Mexican food? Depends, if your in Mexico, its there. Youre in Texas, so there goes your answer.  

There is a liquor licenses permit on the window at the former Citgo station.  I would assume this confirms the rumor.

Also 927 Studewood is being demolished today.  Future Glass Wall expansion?

While I'd love to be proven wrong, the most likely short-term outcome for 927 Studewood is parking for Glass Wall.  They currently make use of the lot of the former Stella Sola, which, if anyone ever leases that space, they'd lose.

If I remember correctly the property sold for $1,000,000 which would make it a pretty expensive parking lot! But either way a parking lot is better that than what it was.

Was it $1M JUST for 927 Studewood?  That address is listed as 6250 s.f. of land, which would make $1M about 2.5x market value.

The other retail shoe is dropping in Houston and in the Heights in particular.  700+ multifamily units are under construction in the Heights with another @500 planned.  This lot will almost certainly be developed into some sort of retail development.  One of the members of the LLC that holds the land has a commercial leasing background.  That just could not be a coincidence.  And I see no evidence that Glass Wall owns any interest or the folks that own their building have any interest in that property. 

1201 Omar appears to be included and is 12,500 s.f.   That comes to about 3 lots.

OK, that makes more sense at $1M.  

This stretch of Studewood is quietly becoming one of the highest concentrations of bars and restaurants in the Greater Heights. In the 3/4 mile stretch from From White Oak to 11½, there are 14 (I think: 4 each at White Oak and at 11th, plus Antidote, Sonoma, Premium Draught, Glass Wall, Red, Piatto, Los Cucos and Good Dog. That doesn't count Premium Draught or Someburger). That's comparable to the similar-size stretch from Yale to Studewood on White Oak (I counted 17).

The other retail shoe is dropping in Houston and in the Heights in particular.  700+ multifamily units are under construction in the Heights with another @500 planned.  This lot will almost certainly be developed into some sort of retail development.  One of the members of the LLC that holds the land has a commercial leasing background.  That just could not be a coincidence.  And I see no evidence that Glass Wall owns any interest or the folks that own their building have any interest in that property. 

HCAD lists 933 Studewood as the mailing address. While that's the address of Glass Wall, Glass Wall is not the only business at that address.

HCAD lists 933 Studewood as the mailing address. While that's the address of Glass Wall, Glass Wall is not the only business at that address.

I believe Glass Wall is just a tenant.  It looks like the owners of 933 Studewood have some people in common with the owners of 927 Studewood.  Glass Wall has its parking minimum met.  The owners of 927 Studewood would have to charge Glass Wall a crushing rent premium just to break even if they paid $1 mil for the property.  927 Studewood is actually a bigger lot than 933 when you combine it with the Omar lots. 

This property sold for $80 sq ft?   I thought land went for around $50 sq ft in The Heights?  

I would have to assume that both the Omar and Studewood lots sold for 1 mil.  I believe that they were marketed as one property.  Both properties total 18,750 sq ft.  That would be @$53 per sq ft for the entire property. 

I'm sure it will be. The decor and colors are beautiful.  <_< Food is OK at best and yes they are getting your money. Im just saying if you explore a little, there are many hidden gems around the area.....for so much less $$.

What is real Mexican food? Depends, if your in Mexico, its there. Youre in Texas, so there goes your answer.  

Since new management took over at El Superior, I've determined that it's worth my money.  On occasion. 

I've lived in Houston for many years & do plenty of exploring.  

Looks like Haif might be wagging the Swamplot tail today:

http://swamplot.com/former-heights-blvd-home-of-waldos-and-boulevard-coffee-about-to-reach-equilibrium/2015-01-20/

Good catch HAG.

I have been doing some window peeking and they have chopped the main part of the coffee shop in half so that there is now a big room on the south side of the building that can be closed off as meeting space. Choice of colors for the exterior is a bit horrific.  Rusty, doo-doo, purplie-brown trim with a blueish gray on the rest of the exterior.  I cannot even say "it looks like a _______" because no one would ever pick such dreary colors for a bungalow.  

The meeting room concept is interesting.  I am always seeing posts on next door, HKG etc. asking for recommendations for a meeting space in the Heights.  I just wonder whether they will have enough room if the place is popular to handle both walk up customers and a group that takes up meeting space.  

Crockpotandgravel - yes, but their press release is new.

FOR OFFICAL RELEASE | JANUARY 19, 2015 In Feburary 2015, the Equilibrium Social House will open its doors to the ever popular Heights neighborhood, providing not only great coffee, assorted high-end teas and baked goods and desserts, but also a community and social environment that many will hopefully call their home away from home. The coffee shop concept’s new home will be at 1030 Heights Blvd, formerly the residence of Waldo’s & Boulevard Coffee. Located directly on Heights Blvd, EQ Height’s mission is to become a daily necessity, offering “Quality Product, Customer Service, Interactive environment and an exceptional coffee experience” to its customers. Those that frequented the previous Heights coffee spot will be surprised by an assortment of inviting building updates and “social friendly” additions including a completely new counter & serving area, new furniture, some of which was hand-crafted by local Heights area artisans, and the option for private meeting rooms. And of course there’s the huge outdoor patio that is unique to any other coffee shop in the area. You and your dog(s) will be more than happy to spend countless mornings sipping on EQ’s amazing Americanos or Mocha Lattes. Gary Drabek, who is a former principle of Waldo Café and Boulevard Coffee and current owner of the property, is happy to see the building continue to be used as a local café and coffee spot where the neighborhood can continue to “hang out” and relax. Kevin Blasini, the owner of EQ Social House, brings over 25 years of experience in customer service and legal expertise, which he is using to develop the idea of EQ. His love for coffee, community, and learning is what drives him towards the goal of providing the neighborhood the right blend of refreshment, nourishment, community and inspiration. EQ Social House values the importance of independence versus chain ownership and this allows EQ to customize a unique blend of products, balancing local sourcing and preparation with benefits of global reach. Official opening date is yet to be announced. Updates on the Social House’s progress can be found on Facebook and Instagram, and the new website at www.eqheights.com will launch soon. Facebook: /eqheights Twitter: @eqheights Instragram: @eqheights Media and press, please contact Neue Creative at 832.868.6636 or info@neuecreative.com.

• 3 weeks later...