The Heights Restaurant And Bar Scene - More Coming

Freelander

There has been a lot of fuss in the neighborhood about that issue recently.  Gelazzi got grandfathered on parking.  Neighbors got upset about that and about the TABC application.  Gelazzi just wants to serve gelato made with booze, but someone claimed that they were opening a bar.  Ruckus with the city ensued.  I think Boil House claimed to be take out, but set up a bunch of picnic tables. 

The real parking problem is mostly the streets and partly the patrons.  There are boneheads out there who will actually park right in front of someone's driveway or so close to the driveway that it is impossible to get out.  With minimal parking enforcement, this happens all the time.  But the real issue is that the streets are only 18' with open drainage ditches.  And the streets that are curbed and guttered are not wide enough for parking on both sides.  But the City sits on their hands when people ask for parking to be limited to one side and won't be improving any streets until the year 2047 when a few pennies left from the drainage fee trickle down to our neighborhood streets (pun intended).

If the streets feeding into the commercial corridors were curbed and guttered for a few blocks on each side and had parking limited to only one side of the street, there would be plenty of room for parking for restaurant patrons. 

Of course, I have no sympathy for people living near Coltivare, etc. who are just upset that people park on their street.  But, I have seen these streets get so clogged up that emergency vehicles could not get through and residents cannot get out of their driveways. 

I have a passionate hatred for blanket parking minimums. They are a pox on our city, and, together with our minimum setback requirements (albeit now relaxed somewhat), have contributed to making most of the inner loop look like low-density suburbs. We can't have walkable urban neighborhoods if we also require huge parking lots and 25-ft setbacks. Those regulations incentivize unattractive strip-mall and big-box development.

There is no earthly reason to require, say, Whole Foods and Home Depot to have the same number of parking spaces per 1000 s.f. And requiring bars to have 14 spaces per 1000 s.f. is basically subsidizing drunk driving. 

I also have very little patience for people who complain against the Yale St. Walmart as being too suburban, but at the same time place those mini-boulders in the right-of-way in front of their house to keep strangers from parking there. 

Here's my modest proposal. All blocks are by default free parking, but if 50% or more of the homeowners on a block agree, allow residents to opt for one of the following options, on a shall-issue basis (i.e. unlike current ordinance, no requirement that x% of cars during y% of the day be non-residents):

1 - Resident-only parking. Residents must pay for the signage.

2 - Metered parking. Residents pay for the meter station, but keep, say, 70% of the revenue, distributed pro-rata based on frontage. 

I live pretty close to 19th St. There are a couple of times a year when my street fills up with parked cars, but most of the time, I'm happy to have free parking on my block for myself and my guests.  If I lived near White Oak, and it was a daily occurrence, I might think differently.

why should residents get free use of the public street, or be paid for others use of it? 

If someone is blocking your driveway... call a tow truck.  (they will be more than happy to tow the person).  I think a lot of this is people whining because they don't know how to drive/backout of their driveways.  (which to be fair can be difficult with as narrow our entrances can be).  This happens to me all the time, and sometimes because of traffic I have to wait upwards of 30-45 seconds (traffic nightmare!!!!!!) before I can safely back out of my driveway.  Inner Loop Problems.

Edited by SilverJK

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/06-27-14-steakhouse-from-houston-meat-masters-fizzles-chef-plans-new-orleans-style-cafe-instead/

The Killen/Craig steakhouse in Shady Acres is not going to happen.  Craig is going to move forward on his own project at the same site next to Hubcap.

Meanwhile, the old Stella Sola site which was first eyed by Ronnie Killen for a high end steak house is still empty.  It was announced a year ago that Yucatan Taco Stand was going to replace the Killen venture as a tenant.  The interior has been taken down to the studs.  But no sign of any build out.  That prime restaurant location has now been vacant for over two years.  

Yeah, this makes no sense. One has to assume that the property owner has some unrealistic price expectations.

That.  And that the layout of the place it terrible and is too large overall.  I know restaurateurs that know the building well and they won't touch it.  Vacancy for that long in the Heights tells you something. 

That.  And that the layout of the place it terrible and is too large overall.  I know restaurateurs that know the building well and they won't touch it.  Vacancy for that long in the Heights tells you something. 

Killen was quite vocal about being driven off by terms from the landlord.  No idea what is happening with Yucatan.  Stella Sola's lease was up for renewal when they quit.  They were in the middle of a change in their executive chef and probably seeing a peak in popularity when they decided to throw in the towel instead of trying to move forward with a steep new rent bill. 

The layout is odd, but I liked it whenever I went to Stella Sola.  It was a big place, but felt like a couple of small private rooms.  But I can see how it would be a difficult fit for most restaurant concepts that needs faster table turnover than a high end place. 

Parking minimums may also be an issue. Since Stella Sola closed, CoH increased the parking requirements for restaurants of this size from 8 to 10 per 1000 s.f. This means that any new tenant will have to find 20+ additional parking spaces. That basically means 6000-7000 square feet of land, which doesn't exist sufficient close to this building to fulfill the requirement.

This is why we can't have nice things, CoH.

• Like 1

Parking minimums may also be an issue. Since Stella Sola closed, CoH increased the parking requirements for restaurants of this size from 8 to 10 per 1000 s.f. This means that any new tenant will have to find 20+ additional parking spaces. That basically means 6000-7000 square feet of land, which doesn't exist sufficient close to this building to fulfill the requirement.

This is why we can't have nice things, CoH.

I heard that the landlords would not give Killen parking for his staff because they needed to keep some spaces reserved for the office tenants.  They wanted to make the staff park offsite down the street somewhere.  Probably one of many straws on the camel's back in that deal.

However, I am pretty sure that the new tenant would be grandfathered on parking if they did not increase the sq ft. 

Here's my modest proposal. All blocks are by default free parking, but if 50% or more of the homeowners on a block agree, allow residents to opt for one of the following options, on a shall-issue basis (i.e. unlike current ordinance, no requirement that x% of cars during y% of the day be non-residents):

2 - Metered parking. Residents pay for the meter station, but keep, say, 70% of the revenue, distributed pro-rata based on frontage. 

I live pretty close to 19th St. There are a couple of times a year when my street fills up with parked cars, but most of the time, I'm happy to have free parking on my block for myself and my guests.  If I lived near White Oak, and it was a daily occurrence, I might think differently.

No. They are public streets paid for by all taxpayers. Leave all blocks as free parking. The few that have been switched to resident only parking (like behind Anvil) should be switched back.

No. They are public streets paid for by all taxpayers. Leave all blocks as free parking. The few that have been switched to resident only parking (like behind Anvil) should be switched back.

would two smaller restaurants need the same parking requirements of 1 large one?  If not maybe they could engineer a Haymerchant/Underbelly type layout.

Potentially. Less than 3000 s.f. it's 8 spaces per 1000 s.f., and less than 4500 s.f. it's 9 spaces per 1000 s.f.

However, I am pretty sure that the new tenant would be grandfathered on parking if they did not increase the sq ft. 

As long as they need a building permit (which they will, since the interior was gutted), they'll need to re-approve the parking plan.

Potentially. Less than 3000 s.f. it's 8 spaces per 1000 s.f., and less than 4500 s.f. it's 9 spaces per 1000 s.f.

Seems like a viable solution then... perhaps a dual business Bakery and French Restaurant, (or bakery and indian restaurant like Pondicheri).   Someone make this happen. = ]

The El Cantina Superior is open.  Have not been.  Heard typical soft opening stories.  Some things are great.  Service extremely slow.  Some things are terrible.

Word on the street is that Someburger is finally closing to make way for parking for patrons of 1111 Studewood restaurants.  End of an era.  I really wish someone would do like they did with Mytiburger.  Buy out the business, spruce it up a bit and re-open.  Of course, in this case, you would need a new location.  Half the fun of Someburger was the old walk up burger stand.  But the other half was the great burgers made like they used to at diners all over the country.

Mmm...Mytiburger, it's Myti good! Love the one on W.43rd, not so much the one on Kempwood.

Definitely the end of an era if Someburger does indeed meet its demise. This is the one I grew up with, but ate a few at the Patton/Airline location over the years that it was still open. I guess after all these years, it's safe to "let the cat out of the bag" for those not in the know, so to speak...

A "brown bag special" was something completely different at Someburger on E. 11th back when I was in high school, than what it ended up becoming at your local Sonic drive-in a few years later.

:o

As long as Big Burger V stays afloat, all is well in my little world.

• Like 1

Lots of interesting info to be had in the TABC tax data

Cedar Creek has almost 3X more alcohol sales ($305k in the most recent month) than the next highest in 77008 (Down House, at $121k).

Heights General Store narrowly outsold Torchy's ($39.9 vs $37.7).

People don't tend to have wine with their Mac & Cheese (Jus' Mac did jus' $2539 in monthly alcohol sales).

Yucatan Taco Stand apparently holds a license for 1001 Studewood (the Stella Sola building).

Word on the street is that Someburger is finally closing to make way for parking for patrons of 1111 Studewood restaurants.  End of an era.  I really wish someone would do like they did with Mytiburger.  Buy out the business, spruce it up a bit and re-open.  Of course, in this case, you would need a new location.  Half the fun of Someburger was the old walk up burger stand.  But the other half was the great burgers made like they used to at diners all over the country.

I saw a couple of tweets yesterday that indicated that contrary to rumor, Someburger isn't closing. Very much hoping that's true, although I wouldn't be surprised to see them go as more and more deep-pocketed entities like 1111 Studewood, to quote their website, "introduce the urban lifestyle to this popular community", thus ensuring that many of the quirky, longstanding community fixtures that attracted homebuyers in the first place are shunted aside in favor of redevelopment. Irony, thy name is gentrification. 

• Like 1

http://blog.chron.com/foodchronicles/2014/07/martinez-sedillo-to-challenge-houston-fried-chicken-icons-at-the-chicken-ranch/#24935101=0

New fried chicken restaurant coming to N. Main from Goru and Gun folks.  Looks like they will beat the Liberty Kitchen folks to the punch.  Their fried chicken and donuts concept that was supposed to go in the building just to the west of Liberty Kitchen was put on hold in favor of opening a Liberty Kitchen in Austin.  No location has been disclosed, but there is rumor that the old Blockbuster is going to get converted into a restaurant.  Not sure whether the fried chicken place or something else will go in there.

Edited by s3mh

A long time Heights restaurateur told me that commercial developments are waiting in the wings for the repaving on north Main and of a recent change of ownership of the strip center on Main. There was also more interesting gossip that I will not post. :D

http://blog.chron.com/foodchronicles/2014/07/martinez-sedillo-to-challenge-houston-fried-chicken-icons-at-the-chicken-ranch/#24935101=0

No location has been disclosed, but there is rumor that the old Blockbuster is going to get converted into a restaurant. Not sure whether the fried chicken place or something else will go in there.

Ironically enough, I know the owner of this building, and the various other properties he owns along Calvacade and Robbie. Not too long before Blockbuster finally pulled up their stakes, I asked him what he thought he was going to do with it next. He laughed and said, "Hell (purpledevil), I might just reopen the store!"

That'd be a superb building for a small, start up restaurant. I haven't stopped by and seen them in a few months, and I think I should. :D

You know, curiousity and all, lol. If it turns out to be legitimate and he's ok with me spilling the beans, you all will be the first to know.

Maryam's Café is open in the old Crickets location on 19th st.  It is supposed to be a bit like a Persian café, but the menu is mostly domestic American dishes.  I have not been, but am intrigued.  Friends went for breakfast and liked it a lot.  Owner is usually on site and very sweet and friendly. 

Meanwhile, the El Cantina Superior is getting slaughtered on Yelp and other forums.  It is still very early, but people have told some pretty terrible tales of food and service in the early days of the restaurant. 

Skinny Rita's will open very soon.  Menu is up on their website:  www.srgrille.com  Cactus tortillas and other healthy items without calling it "fresh Mex" (thank goodness).  I am very interested in trying them out once they are up and running.  Looks like they have enough of an original concept to avoid getting lost in the forest of Tex Mex restaurants (new and old) in the neighborhood.

Excited to try Maryam's and Skinny Rita's.

Unfortunately I can confirm that the service and food are severely sub-par at The El.  The atmosphere is wonderful, and my wife and I had been looking forward to trying the restaurant during this "soft opening" process.  However, bland/overcooked food, poor drinks, and slow service are hard to overlook.  On Nextdoor, experiences have ranged from similar complaints to ours to food poisoning for an entire family.

Hopefully things will change, but that is going to have to include some significant changes in staff and in the kitchen.

Meanwhile, the El Cantina Superior is getting slaughtered on Yelp and other forums.  It is still very early, but people have told some pretty terrible tales of food and service in the early days of the restaurant. 

The Heights restaurateur I know told me his clients have said the same thing.  Doing Mexican food in this town is really competitive.  There are too many choices in Houston and even close to the Heights for good established Mexican food joints.

On a side note.  It will be interesting to see what establishments move into the strip center north of Spanish Flowers once Braun redoes it.  They have a good track record of turning commercial space around.

http://blog.chron.com/foodchronicles/2014/07/heights-restaurant-suddenly-closes/#25241101=0

City Oven is gone.  Never went there.  Didn't know anyone who did.  

Did go to Maryam's Cafe.  The food is ok.  The juice is good.  They do a funny presentation with a little umbrella and colorful sugar sprinkles around the rim of the glass for the juice.  The folks running the place are very nice.  There is definitely a bit of a cultural disconnect between how they are running the cafe and in what most Houstonians would be comfortable with in a restaurant.  The menu is just a couple of pages of a print out with only one copy by the cash register with only a little bit of info on the chalk boards above the front counter.  I saw a couple of people walking by peak in and turn away.  The decor and set up is a bit odd. 

The sandwiches are pretty western, with a little touch of Persian influence, but not much.  The tea service seems to be the one thing that is pretty authentic, but I did not have any.  They also have some interesting homemade ice cream flavors.

I really feel like they would be a big hit if they did more Persian dishes.  The Heights is saturated with Tex Mex, comfort food and Italian.  Something unique would really be a hit if well done.  But I also feel like Jerry Seinfeld with Babu and The Dream Cafe.  Not really my place to say what they should do to succeed.  Although, I hope they do.  The title of this thread is still relevant, although for an entirely different reason.  The neighborhood is filling up with great restaurants, but could use some more diverse offerings.

Zelko Bistro closed Did not see that coming.  Always liked it.  Jamie Zelko came to the Heights when few other restaurants were interested in the neighborhood.  The restaurant business can be very cruel possibly moving.  Landlord has put the property up for lease, but they are still open in the mean time. 

Edited by s3mh