The Heights Restaurant And Bar Scene - More Coming

Freelander

Went to the Bird House on 11th across from Buchanan's for lunch. In addition to the fried chicken they also have a chicken fried steak that was mighty tasty. They told me they are planning to do crawfish again for next season. The Boil House and Bird House are the same folks.

Thanks for the tip, JCR. I'm always on the lookout for a new CFS to try out, and after previous conversations, I know there are a couple of HAIFers thrilled with the information in your post. Can you give me a cross street on 11th? Is it on East or West 11th? I don't know where Buchanan's is. :(

Thanks for the tip, JCR. I'm always on the lookout for a new CFS to try out, and after previous conversations, I know there are a couple of HAIFers thrilled with the information in your post. Can you give me a cross street on 11th? Is it on East or West 11th? I don't know where Buchanan's is. :(

606 E. 11th, between Studewood and Heights. Closest cross street is Oxford. 

I haven't been there yet but have been meaning to try it this week. 

• Like 1

Other CFS I can recommend are from Glass Wall and Franks Americana Revival in River Oaks.  At Franks, it is on both the lunch and dinner menus.

As for the Birdhouse check their facebook and twitter.  They only make a certain quantity of food and that's it.  They run out like Gatlins BBQ does.

• Like 1

Went to the Bird House on 11th across from Buchanan's for lunch.  In addition to the fried chicken they also have a chicken fried steak that was mighty tasty.  They told me they are planning to do crawfish again for next season.  The Boil House and Bird House are the same folks.

I went and tried this and it was pretty damn good. I think they are a drive through but you can easily park on Oxford and walk there. Not a big place but great for a quick bite.

That chicken is the truth.  Very crunchy, and the underlying meat is well seasoned.  (I was a little underwhelmed by the red beans and rice, though.)

I'm assuming they brine before they fry, which would explain why they only have a finite amount before they sell out.

Went to the Birdhouse at 11:30 today based on reviews above. Parking was very small and full so thought drive thru was the answer. One car ahead of me; great. It took 20 minutes to take that car's order because the order taker was too busy taking orders from walk-ups, maybe 6 people in line inside the restaurant. When I finally got to place an order, I simply asked "I waited 20 minutes to place an order, how long will it take to get the food?" The order taker took offense at my 20 minute wait statement, argued that point for 5 minutes and then stated "it is lunch time you know and I'm the only front person so you just have to wait your turn". Then she stated "it will be at least 20 - 25 minutes to get your food out due to the lunch hour rush". I stated that of course everyone knows that 11:30 is the lunch hour and I would have thought that of all businesses, a restaurant would plan and staff accordingly for said lunch hour rush." She appeared confused by my statement so I gave her a quick Thank you and drove off.  Might be symptomatic of start up pains so I'll try again on an off hour but just wanted to warn everyone that if you are pressed for time at lunch hour, you should consider an alternative until they get their act together.   I'm hoping the Birdhouse ownership reads this quasi review and does some remedial customer service training. 

...I'm not sure what you were expecting...

Went to the Birdhouse at 11:30 today based on reviews above. Parking was very small and full so thought drive thru was the answer. One car ahead of me; great. It took 20 minutes to take that car's order because the order taker was too busy taking orders from walk-ups, maybe 6 people in line inside the restaurant. When I finally got to place an order, I simply asked "I waited 20 minutes to place an order, how long will it take to get the food?" The order taker took offense at my 20 minute wait statement, argued that point for 5 minutes and then stated "it is lunch time you know and I'm the only front person so you just have to wait your turn". Then she stated "it will be at least 20 - 25 minutes to get your food out due to the lunch hour rush". I stated that of course everyone knows that 11:30 is the lunch hour and I would have thought that of all businesses, a restaurant would plan and staff accordingly for said lunch hour rush." She appeared confused by my statement so I gave her a quick Thank you and drove off.  Might be symptomatic of start up pains so I'll try again on an off hour but just wanted to warn everyone that if you are pressed for time at lunch hour, you should consider an alternative until they get their act together.   I'm hoping the Birdhouse ownership reads this quasi review and does some remedial customer service training. 

Is it too much to ask not to wait 45 minutes to get an order of fried chicken? 

Chicken can take a little bit longer to cook properly (re: no blood).  Combine this with a busy lunch rush and the fact that they are probably cooking food to order and not making it all beforehand and keeping it under heat lamps a la Popeye's, AND the store is understaffed at lunch?? It kind of makes sense.  Still, I sympathize with your plight and probably would have just gone elsewhere.  Making any kind of comment like that probably added an extra five minutes to your wait time, lol.

Edited by de la rosa

I'm hoping the Birdhouse ownership reads this and gives the girl up front a raise. Im sure they are working on how to staff for what times and days. No reason to b!tch about it because they couldnt cook chicken like the fast-food chain down the street. The chicken was damn good when I went. I'll be going back for sure.

• Like 1

I just got back from the Birdhouse and being the only customer there, I got my food in 5 minutes.  This was my 2nd visit and first time for chicken as I had CFS the first time, both were excellent.  There were also more choices in sides and specials today. 

I mentioned to the young lady that I had read here on HAIF the incident with the late morning customer.  She said he was extremely rude and that they were very busy at the time.  I showed her this thread on her phone and she got a kick out of it and read it to the staff in back.

Guess what people?  The food is made to order.  If you want fast food under heat lamps there are plenty of other choices elsewhere.

And as always, I just find it easier to park on Oxford and walk over to the place.

Is it too much to ask not to wait 45 minutes to get an order of fried chicken? 

I digress but the situation is similar at Chilosos. The order taking and payment system are a mess however the food is great and the prices good. I save Chilosos for the weekend when I'm not in a hurry.  

Edited by west20th

This is why I avoid drive thrus - particularly if it's not some sort of mass production place.  Go ahead and walk inside.  Your order will most likely be taken more quickly, since it's easier to get people to move to the side than to do the same with cars.  If it's going to be a while, you'll get a better sense of that earlier, and can exercise the options to either go elsewhere or perhaps grab a nice glass of iced tea and read some of the material that is likely around for that very purpose.  Your order will more likely be correct, since there won't be the possibly questionable acoustics of the speaker system.  Specials are less likely to be posted outdoors, likewise, if they're out of something, you'll learn of that earlier.  And you'll be better for air quality than sitting there idling for even five minutes.

Table 19 on the other side of the street on W 19th closed and the property changed hands.  That is probably the only other spot in the Heights other than the old Stella Sola location that would not need an extensive build out.  But, folks in the restaurant biz tend to be incredibly overly optimistic when it comes to opening dates.

http://houston.eater.com/2014/9/25/6845481/southern-goods-heights-january-open

It will be the old Table 19 location.  Shooting for January opening.  

I digress but the situation is similar at Chilosos. The order taking and payment system are a mess however the food is great and the prices good. I save Chilosos for the weekend when I'm not in a hurry.  

I enjoy Chilosos, but they really stick it to you on mexican Coke prices.  I think they charge $3 for one of those glass bottles.  You can get the same coke for $1.75 at a bodega off N. Main a few blocks away, lol.

http://swamplot.com/heights-french-restaurant-sale-sucre-has-been-locked-out-of-its-white-oak-spot-for-a-week-and-a-half/2014-10-03/

Not sure whether this is the end, but hard to imagine that this restaurant will be able to survive a lockout.  2/3rds of what I got there was wonderful and 1/3rd was not much better than what I put together on a Wednesday night.  Every time I went, it felt like they were still in the middle of a soft opening and still figuring things out.  I am a bit sad to see this restaurant go as the owners were pioneers on White Oak.  But this is Houston and standards are just too high for a restaurant that it is not willing to dot all the "I"s and cross all the "T"s to be able to survive.  

http://swamplot.com/heights-french-restaurant-sale-sucre-has-been-locked-out-of-its-white-oak-spot-for-a-week-and-a-half/2014-10-03/

Not sure whether this is the end, but hard to imagine that this restaurant will be able to survive a lockout.  2/3rds of what I got there was wonderful and 1/3rd was not much better than what I put together on a Wednesday night.  Every time I went, it felt like they were still in the middle of a soft opening and still figuring things out.  I am a bit sad to see this restaurant go as the owners were pioneers on White Oak.  But this is Houston and standards are just too high for a restaurant that it is not willing to dot all the "I"s and cross all the "T"s to be able to survive.  

I honestly couldn't be happier.  Place has terrible management which treated customers terribly.  Karma..

I was generally unimpressed with the savory items I tasted. Held on longer than I expected.

Chicken Ranch opens Sunday in the spot on N. Main that used to be Bellissimo. 

A 2nd Cup coffee will be going brick and mortar in the storefront next to Andy's at 1111 E. 11th.  I think they are finalizing lease terms. 

Los Cucos Signature is opening as soon as final city permits come in.  They are built out and staffed up.

Sale Sucre told the Leader that they have closed the White Oak location and are looking to reopen in the Heights in a new location with a different name. 

Foreign Correspondents/Hunky Dory is moving a lot of dirt and in full swing for construction finally.

Not in the Heights, but if you are a coffee nerd, you should head over to Paper Co. Coffee in the 1st Ward.  They are roasting in house and make great coffee (easily on par with Catalina, Boomtown, etc.).  They are in a repurposed warehouse on Elder across the street from the old Jefferson Hospital/Elder St. Artist Lofts.  You take Dart from Houston Ave and follow it around to Elder.  The entrance to the coffee shop is in the back.  The building also houses an art gallery and church.  I think they are intending to have a café with food eventually, but are currently just doing pop up dinners.  It is a really nice space to relax and have your favorite caffeine fix.  So far, it has not been infested with hipsters setting up office with their laptops everywhere. 

Met a friend at Skinny Rita's last night.  I had already had dinner but wanted to catch up on things.  She's already there and has her food.  Chips came with 3 different salsas.  These were really good.  She had two appetizers.  Chicken flautas and a crab cake.  I sampled the flautas and they were excellent.  Guacamole on top and greens.  Almost like a flautas salad.  This joint does a healthier style Mexican food.  They advertise fresh, no GMO, etc.  The menu is pretty extensive. 

The build out is really nice.  I remember this when is was Rico's Triangle for the 3AM hangover breakfast.  I never did go when it was Frida's.  The bartender gave us a tour and the patio out back is nice.  Took the stairs up to see the rooftop patio area too.  With the nice weather we've been having my friend wished we had eaten up on the roof area.  Next time.