The Heights Restaurant And Bar Scene - More Coming

Freelander

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Boulevard Coffee is awaiting final city inspections and looks to open this month. 

Town in City Brewing finally has approved plans and will break ground after a year of back and forth with the City.

The El on Studewood and White Oak is finally building out with a big cinderblock addition to the old gas station. 

With 700+ units of high end apartments going in a block away, this location could make some serious money as a restaurant in the right hands.  I think it would get grandfathered on parking if they keep the building. 

It's 1200 s.f., and currently has 13 parking spaces, so they already meet the parking minimums.

Surprisingly large amount of parking.  Shepherd will gradually transition from being lined with parking lots full of used cars to being lined with parking lots intermittently full of used cars.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I drove down Main St yesterday and saw conctruction at the old Frida place. Anyone know whats happening there? Another restaurant?

There's a sign up now that says Skinny Rita's Grille. So maybe a bar/mexican restaurant? They added lots of patio space and a second floor patio

There is a TABC notice up at the SW corner of Harvard and White Oak (same building as T-shirt shop).  Workers were painting the exterior on Saturday.  The notice was for "Il Circolo di Italia, Inc.".  I have heard of Circolo di Italia in other parts.  It is basically an Italian version of something like L'Alliance Francaise.  People can take language and culture classes.  But, I have also heard from some people who talked with the owner.  They say it is going to be a gelato shop that will also serve some alcohol infused gelato.  They say it will be open next month if all goes according to plans. 

• 3 weeks later...

There is a TABC notice up at the SW corner of Harvard and White Oak (same building as T-shirt shop).  Workers were painting the exterior on Saturday.  The notice was for "Il Circolo di Italia, Inc.".  I have heard of Circolo di Italia in other parts.  It is basically an Italian version of something like L'Alliance Francaise.  People can take language and culture classes.  But, I have also heard from some people who talked with the owner.  They say it is going to be a gelato shop that will also serve some alcohol infused gelato.  They say it will be open next month if all goes according to plans. 

There are now signs up in the window for "Gelazzi", promising a preview during the White Oak Blvd street closure on April 6.  www.gelazzi.com

Looks like some sort of franchise concept as there appears to be a location in Colorado with the same graphic design/concept etc. 

There are now signs up in the window for "Gelazzi", promising a preview during the White Oak Blvd street closure on April 6.  www.gelazzi.com

Looks like some sort of franchise concept as there appears to be a location in Colorado with the same graphic design/concept etc. 

Apparently it's been in the works for a while.

Here's a story from three years ago about the imminent expansion into Houston as the first franchisee-owned store.  Apparently they plan to get into overnight gelato delivery.

New sign up for the Boil House on the south side of 11th near Oxford.

http://swamplot.com/crawfish-restaurant-boil-house-gets-ready-to-open-on-11th-st-in-the-heights/2014-03-31/

Not very helpful post from Swamplot.  Drive by pic + Tex SOS.  I am curious as to how they are going to get enough parking spaces over there.  I want to say that I heard a while back about a Cajun catering or takeout place opening in the Heights.  That would get them to a doable level of parking spaces versus a sit down restaurant. But that is just a guess.

Let's math this. According to HCAD that building is 1800 square feet. At ten parking spaces per 100 square feet, that's 18 spaces. 10% discount for bike parking gets them to 16 spaces.

At roughly 160 square feet per parking space, that's 2,560 square feet for spaces alone. Maybe an additional 640 square feet for drive.

BUT! I'm pretty sure that that requirement only applies to dining area space. So let's say maybe half the building is dining area, that takes you down to 8 spaces, so 1,280 square feet plus 320 square feet for drive.

Edited by Texasota