The Heights Restaurant And Bar Scene - More Coming

Freelander

I drove down Main St yesterday and saw conctruction at the old Frida place. Anyone know whats happening there? Another restaurant?

There's a sign up now that says Skinny Rita's Grille. So maybe a bar/mexican restaurant? They added lots of patio space and a second floor patio

There is a TABC notice up at the SW corner of Harvard and White Oak (same building as T-shirt shop).  Workers were painting the exterior on Saturday.  The notice was for "Il Circolo di Italia, Inc.".  I have heard of Circolo di Italia in other parts.  It is basically an Italian version of something like L'Alliance Francaise.  People can take language and culture classes.  But, I have also heard from some people who talked with the owner.  They say it is going to be a gelato shop that will also serve some alcohol infused gelato.  They say it will be open next month if all goes according to plans. 

• 3 weeks later...

There is a TABC notice up at the SW corner of Harvard and White Oak (same building as T-shirt shop).  Workers were painting the exterior on Saturday.  The notice was for "Il Circolo di Italia, Inc.".  I have heard of Circolo di Italia in other parts.  It is basically an Italian version of something like L'Alliance Francaise.  People can take language and culture classes.  But, I have also heard from some people who talked with the owner.  They say it is going to be a gelato shop that will also serve some alcohol infused gelato.  They say it will be open next month if all goes according to plans. 

There are now signs up in the window for "Gelazzi", promising a preview during the White Oak Blvd street closure on April 6.  www.gelazzi.com

Looks like some sort of franchise concept as there appears to be a location in Colorado with the same graphic design/concept etc. 

There are now signs up in the window for "Gelazzi", promising a preview during the White Oak Blvd street closure on April 6.  www.gelazzi.com

Looks like some sort of franchise concept as there appears to be a location in Colorado with the same graphic design/concept etc. 

Apparently it's been in the works for a while.

Here's a story from three years ago about the imminent expansion into Houston as the first franchisee-owned store.  Apparently they plan to get into overnight gelato delivery.

New sign up for the Boil House on the south side of 11th near Oxford.

http://swamplot.com/crawfish-restaurant-boil-house-gets-ready-to-open-on-11th-st-in-the-heights/2014-03-31/

Not very helpful post from Swamplot.  Drive by pic + Tex SOS.  I am curious as to how they are going to get enough parking spaces over there.  I want to say that I heard a while back about a Cajun catering or takeout place opening in the Heights.  That would get them to a doable level of parking spaces versus a sit down restaurant. But that is just a guess.

Let's math this. According to HCAD that building is 1800 square feet. At ten parking spaces per 100 square feet, that's 18 spaces. 10% discount for bike parking gets them to 16 spaces.

At roughly 160 square feet per parking space, that's 2,560 square feet for spaces alone. Maybe an additional 640 square feet for drive.

BUT! I'm pretty sure that that requirement only applies to dining area space. So let's say maybe half the building is dining area, that takes you down to 8 spaces, so 1,280 square feet plus 320 square feet for drive.

Edited by Texasota

Let's math this. According to HCAD that building is 1800 square feet. At ten parking spaces per 100 square feet, that's 18 spaces. 10% discount for bike parking gets them to 16 spaces.

At roughly 160 square feet per parking space, that's 2,560 square feet for spaces alone. Maybe an additional 640 square feet for drive.

BUT! I'm pretty sure that that requirement only applies to dining area space. So let's say maybe half the building is dining area, that takes you down to 8 spaces, so 1,280 square feet plus 320 square feet for drive.

The permit on the door says that they are renovating for a take out restaurant.  That means they only need 4 spaces per 100.  That would be doable.  Unless they are buying up and demoing the property next door, there is no way they can get 16 spaces.  Take out Cajun is actually a great idea for the neighborhood.  Poboys, etouffe, gumbo, etc. all transport well and are quick to prepare.  There really aren't very many good options for quick and easy takeout in the Heights. 

Can they sell as "to go" but have picnic tables setup that people just happen to utilize anyway?

I only saw take out on the building permit.  I do not know whether they are committed to take out when it comes to parking.  But given the lack of space for parking, I would bet that they would have to go with take out restaurant to meet parking minimums.

The ordinance actually defines "Take-out restaurant" as a restaurant that "does not provide seating for on-premises consumption of food or beverages . . . ."  In practice, think places like Pink's and Pizza L'Vino.  There are a few chairs inside.  You could eat there if you wanted to, but probably wouldn't.

Smoothie King is the next tenant next to Fat Cat, IF my crappy eyesight isn't failing me. Guess every hood needs one.

Oh good. Wash that high fat ice cream down with a healthy smoothie to relieve the guilt. At least it's not a mattress store. 

• 2 weeks later...

Not to hijack your question, but did want to mention two other things that have been on my mind:

1.) Is it just me, or is Heights General Store, and to a lesser extent the restaurant above, missing the mark? High prices and limited/typical selection are killing this place it seems. Haven't been back to the restaurant after getting a tough, overpriced steak, but I don't hold grudges too long and will re - visit for a cocktail. Which sort of spurs my secondary questions - do the dry restrictions prevent selling beer ala convenience store even if run like a club, because if I could get a sixes of high quality brew from HGS, it would be ON.

2.) In an unrelated and not so long winded query, has anything else become of the Longhorn auto dealer restaurant speculation on N Shep? Wouldn't mind a culinary fill - in on the soon to be demolished car wash in 19th either...

Dying for info.

1.) Is it just me, or is Heights General Store, and to a lesser extent the restaurant above, missing the mark? High prices and limited/typical selection are killing this place it seems. Haven't been back to the restaurant after getting a tough, overpriced steak, but I don't hold grudges too long and will re - visit for a cocktail. Which sort of spurs my secondary questions - do the dry restrictions prevent selling beer ala convenience store even if run like a club, because if I could get a sixes of high quality brew from HGS, it would be ON.

I haven't eaten at the upstairs restaurant, just the downstairs deli counter. I thought it was pretty good. 

The Houston Press had a piece on the restaurant last week asking some similar questions:

http://www.houstonpress.com/2014-04-17/restaurants/heights-general-store/

agree with everyone on the prices at HGS - overall we thought the food was decent but unnecessarily overpriced. it was also odd how empty the place was on a thursday night a few weeks after opening... did not view it as a great sign.

on an unrelated note, verts doner kebap which opened recently on yale on the walmart site, is freaking awesome. it's delicious, quick, pretty cool and not terribly unhealthy. i highly recommend it.

The private club exemption only applies to sales of alcohol for consumption on-premise, and the club must also serve food to qualify.  There are a number of other hoops to be jumped through (see here), like how the membership records must be maintained, and how alcoholic beverages are purchased and accounted for, which is why a lot of places opt to remain BYOB.

The private club exemption only applies to sales of alcohol for consumption on-premise, and the club must also serve food to qualify.  There are a number of other hoops to be jumped through (see here), like how the membership records must be maintained, and how alcoholic beverages are purchased and accounted for, which is why a lot of places opt to remain BYOB.

Meaning that there is zero way around for a retail sales exemption? .....darn.