The Heights Restaurant And Bar Scene - More Coming

Freelander

Went to good dog a little while ago.  I had a good meal.  The chili from the chillin' dog is now served on its own in a cup or bowl.  The menu can be found on their twitter feed.  https://twitter.com/GoodDogHouston  There is more than just hot dogs. This is a very good addition to the 'hood.

• 4 weeks later...

Fat Cat opens this weekend.  Boulevard Coffee, Mam's House of Ice Snowballs and Coltivare look to be very close to finishing their respective buildouts.  Htown StEats food truck is looking for space in the Heights for a doughnut shop.  That could be very interesting.

Looking forward to getting some ice cream this weekend.  

With density and disposable income come restaurants and retail, and a lot of residential units are being added near 19th St. Hopefully over time, we'll see continuous walkable retail from Yale to Durham (Downhouse to Foreign Correspondents). This would require development/redevelopment of the following (for starters):

- Sand Dollar at 19th and Yale

- Former water storage and pumping station at Nicholson

- Chase drive-up bank at Nicholson (this is a staggeringly poor use of valuable land)

- Car Wash at Lawrence

Awesome!   Looking forward to this one.  I went to Key West a few years back and there was a desert bar called "better than sex" which was a very adult "sexy atmosphere" desert bar.  Although it sounds kitchy and cliche', there was a wait out the door every night I was there and it was a pretty cool place.  (my wife and I went  after a night out and managed to get a table somehow).  Since then I've thought that would be something that would go over really well in The Heights where people love eating and drinking but not the "party atmosphere as much".

has anyone tried heights general store yet? would love to hear other reviews.  we went last thursday and really enjoyed the food but were shocked to see it practically empty 8pm on thursday night, particualrly with torchy's packed next door. now granted, although the food was good the decor was a little bland and the prices seemed fairly expensive.

it was just odd that with all the press it had received recently that it would be so dead on a prime night out.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to Fat Cat the other weekend.  A line of 8-10 people materialized as soon as I drove up with one lone hipster kid working the counter.  I almost drove off when two other helpers quickly emerged from in back and got everyone's orders taken in no time.  Took us longer to decide what to get than for the line to go down.  The ice cream is great and there are a ton of different things to get (novelties, shakes, sundaes, soft serve etc.).  They have rotating seasonal flavors and permanent standard flavors.  I am going to gain 10 lbs this summer.  Great addition to the neighborhood.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Boulevard Coffee is awaiting final city inspections and looks to open this month. 

Town in City Brewing finally has approved plans and will break ground after a year of back and forth with the City.

The El on Studewood and White Oak is finally building out with a big cinderblock addition to the old gas station. 

With 700+ units of high end apartments going in a block away, this location could make some serious money as a restaurant in the right hands.  I think it would get grandfathered on parking if they keep the building. 

It's 1200 s.f., and currently has 13 parking spaces, so they already meet the parking minimums.

Surprisingly large amount of parking.  Shepherd will gradually transition from being lined with parking lots full of used cars to being lined with parking lots intermittently full of used cars.

• 2 weeks later...