The Heights Restaurant And Bar Scene - More Coming

Freelander

Let's math this. According to HCAD that building is 1800 square feet. At ten parking spaces per 100 square feet, that's 18 spaces. 10% discount for bike parking gets them to 16 spaces.

At roughly 160 square feet per parking space, that's 2,560 square feet for spaces alone. Maybe an additional 640 square feet for drive.

BUT! I'm pretty sure that that requirement only applies to dining area space. So let's say maybe half the building is dining area, that takes you down to 8 spaces, so 1,280 square feet plus 320 square feet for drive.

The permit on the door says that they are renovating for a take out restaurant.  That means they only need 4 spaces per 100.  That would be doable.  Unless they are buying up and demoing the property next door, there is no way they can get 16 spaces.  Take out Cajun is actually a great idea for the neighborhood.  Poboys, etouffe, gumbo, etc. all transport well and are quick to prepare.  There really aren't very many good options for quick and easy takeout in the Heights. 

Can they sell as "to go" but have picnic tables setup that people just happen to utilize anyway?

I only saw take out on the building permit.  I do not know whether they are committed to take out when it comes to parking.  But given the lack of space for parking, I would bet that they would have to go with take out restaurant to meet parking minimums.

The ordinance actually defines "Take-out restaurant" as a restaurant that "does not provide seating for on-premises consumption of food or beverages . . . ."  In practice, think places like Pink's and Pizza L'Vino.  There are a few chairs inside.  You could eat there if you wanted to, but probably wouldn't.

Smoothie King is the next tenant next to Fat Cat, IF my crappy eyesight isn't failing me. Guess every hood needs one.

Oh good. Wash that high fat ice cream down with a healthy smoothie to relieve the guilt. At least it's not a mattress store. 

• 2 weeks later...

Not to hijack your question, but did want to mention two other things that have been on my mind:

1.) Is it just me, or is Heights General Store, and to a lesser extent the restaurant above, missing the mark? High prices and limited/typical selection are killing this place it seems. Haven't been back to the restaurant after getting a tough, overpriced steak, but I don't hold grudges too long and will re - visit for a cocktail. Which sort of spurs my secondary questions - do the dry restrictions prevent selling beer ala convenience store even if run like a club, because if I could get a sixes of high quality brew from HGS, it would be ON.

2.) In an unrelated and not so long winded query, has anything else become of the Longhorn auto dealer restaurant speculation on N Shep? Wouldn't mind a culinary fill - in on the soon to be demolished car wash in 19th either...

Dying for info.

1.) Is it just me, or is Heights General Store, and to a lesser extent the restaurant above, missing the mark? High prices and limited/typical selection are killing this place it seems. Haven't been back to the restaurant after getting a tough, overpriced steak, but I don't hold grudges too long and will re - visit for a cocktail. Which sort of spurs my secondary questions - do the dry restrictions prevent selling beer ala convenience store even if run like a club, because if I could get a sixes of high quality brew from HGS, it would be ON.

I haven't eaten at the upstairs restaurant, just the downstairs deli counter. I thought it was pretty good. 

The Houston Press had a piece on the restaurant last week asking some similar questions:

http://www.houstonpress.com/2014-04-17/restaurants/heights-general-store/

agree with everyone on the prices at HGS - overall we thought the food was decent but unnecessarily overpriced. it was also odd how empty the place was on a thursday night a few weeks after opening... did not view it as a great sign.

on an unrelated note, verts doner kebap which opened recently on yale on the walmart site, is freaking awesome. it's delicious, quick, pretty cool and not terribly unhealthy. i highly recommend it.

The private club exemption only applies to sales of alcohol for consumption on-premise, and the club must also serve food to qualify.  There are a number of other hoops to be jumped through (see here), like how the membership records must be maintained, and how alcoholic beverages are purchased and accounted for, which is why a lot of places opt to remain BYOB.

The private club exemption only applies to sales of alcohol for consumption on-premise, and the club must also serve food to qualify.  There are a number of other hoops to be jumped through (see here), like how the membership records must be maintained, and how alcoholic beverages are purchased and accounted for, which is why a lot of places opt to remain BYOB.

Meaning that there is zero way around for a retail sales exemption? .....darn.

• 2 weeks later...

For sake of conversation, can anyone she'd light on the purpose of the rest of the building that houses Krafsmen Cafe? I've always thought it was a great building,, despite not knowing what it is/was. Best options for repurposing?

For sake of conversation, can anyone she'd light on the purpose of the rest of the building that houses Krafsmen Cafe? I've always thought it was a great building,, despite not knowing what it is/was. Best options for repurposing?

Kraftsmen also has a wholesale baking business, though I'm not sure that occupies the entirety of the rest of the building.

Kraftsmen also has a wholesale baking business, though I'm not sure that occupies the entirety of the rest of the building.

There is an antique store called Installations that has a good portion of the west end of the building.

• 2 weeks later...

Not Heights, but for those of us in Shady Acres/Timbergrove area The Warehouse Bar and Chill just opened recently. On 11th between Ella and Seamist. Craft beers and full bar, but they need to have more than just one white and red wine.  New American bar food.  A good addition to the hood'.

I went to Boil House over the weekend.  Pretty solid crawfish, they were really nice/friendly and even gave us a piece of King Cake to try while we were eating our crawfish.  Will definitely be going again.

I also went to Mighty Mini Pies on Main Street Friday (I think that is the name) and got two mini pies.  They were tasty (kinda sad I didnt' go before now)

Gelazzi is open on White Oak and Harvard.  I have not been yet, but saw that they did a nice job fixing up the space behind the building.  There are lots of tables with umbrellas in the space behind the building.  A nice spot to enjoy some gelato.  They should be able to print money being just a block from Donovan park. 

• 2 weeks later...

So, Maryam's Café is supposed to open in the old Cricket's Creamery space on July 1, 2014.  www.maryamscafe.com

The space looks to have been gutted, but I have not seen any signs of a build out yet.  July 1 is a bit ambitious, but I hope it is good. 

So, Maryam's Café is supposed to open in the old Cricket's Creamery space on July 1, 2014.  www.maryamscafe.com

The space looks to have been gutted, but I have not seen any signs of a build out yet.  July 1 is a bit ambitious, but I hope it is good. 

Judging from the website, it doesn't appear that Scott Tycer's involved with this place anymore. I'm still curious as to why Cricket's shut down rather abruptly not too long after he acquired it. 

My understanding is that Tycer/Kraftsmen had some sort of partnership interest with the person who bought Crickets from John, but did not own it outright and was not running it.  I do not know why they closed up so soon after taking over, but the transition from the funky old Cricket's with John's vegetarian dishes and fun soda fountain concoctions to the new neutered version of Cricket's seemed to just alienate the former clientele and do little to attract new customers.  The interior had bare walls with no art or pictures.  It was like eating in the back of a warehouse.  The food wasn't bad.  But you could get a better meal at just about any other place in the Heights.