The Heights Restaurant And Bar Scene - More Coming

Freelander

Hugs and Donuts completed a soft opening and will finally have their grand opening soon. 

It is impressive to look at the list of restaurants currently underway in the Heights:

Southern Goods

Hunky Dory

Foreign Correspondents

Bernadine's

Ka Sushi

Pho Binh

Ollie's Fried Chicken

Black and White

Revival Ice House/Taco Stand

Cane Russo

And if you stretch the boundaries a bit you can add the Indian place opening at the old Mozelle's location. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

...given the neighborhood's "little Austin" nickname.

Is this a real nickname people are using? I really hope  not.

Aside from Torchy's, are there other Austin imports in the Heights?  (Washington Avenue doesn't count.)

The Creeks are hill-country-inspired, I suppose.

• 1 month later...

Chirps Chicken is closing.  Property is up for lease. 

Saw this last week. 

I wouldn't mind seeing the whole building come down and something more dense go up in its place, but given our parking requirements we probably don't deserve anything more interesting than a Chipotle.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Town in City's tap room is now open Wed-Sun.

Southern Goods is having a soft opening this weekend with limited hours (looks like mostly barbcue for lunch)

Ka Sushi and Black and White are built out, staffing up and should be open before the end of the month.

Build outs are well underway at the Revival ice house concept, the Treadsack trio (Foreign Correspondents, Bernadine's and Hunky Dory) and Lee's Fried Chicken and Donuts.  Alabama Furniture is getting the boot to make way for the new Braun development that looks to have Bernie's Burger Bus as a tenant.

Shepherd is looking good!

They need to plant some dam trees in Sheppard. These new developments are nice but it is the opposite of green and the opposite of lush. I am amazed they can spend so much money on these developments without a landscape plan!

• Like 1

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/morning_call/2015/08/exclusive-more-pizza-headed-to-the-heights.html#g7

Mellow Mushroom coming to a soon to be repurposed tote the note shop.  

I couldn't resist Googling Mellow Mushroom after reading the HBJ description of "an Atlanta-based hippy pizza chain". I envisioned a place where psilocybe cubensis had once been the most popular pizza topping (inevitably leading to an unofficial motto of "our pizza will make you puke, but you won't care"), and judging from the pics at http://mellowmushroom.com/about/roots, I wasn't too far off.

Of course, like many other establishments, it appears to have evolved into just another hipster haven pushing craft beer, its original brand comfortably diluted and sanitized for consumption by those who wouldn't know the difference between a cow patty and Shinola. Oh, the humanity!

• Like 2

I used to go to Mellow Mushroom after little league games in the 1970s.  The hippie thing was just a marketing gimmick to get people to try some different and odd concoctions on pizzas back when there were very few options for really good pizza.  It will be nice to have something other than Pinks for pizza night. 

• Like 1

No surprise that the el is getting reshuffled again.

We ate there.  Once. 

Mediocre food (at best), served not necessarily hot, or even warm, at a pace that would have been OK had the place been jammed (as in, "who do I have to take hostage to get my order?" slow).  It wasn't busy - not by any standard - and certainly wasn't "Superior."  I'm usually willing to give a new place a second chance, but the Director of Domestic Bliss was even less impressed than I was (or perhaps more so, since the fish tacos seemed to be a bit "off").

This is a big deal for beer nerd types. Not sure where all the money is coming from but to be able to pull in a brewer that is currently working with production similar to Saint Arnold is impressive. I would hope that means they are going all out and from the sounds of the press release they are. Along with the multi-million renovation of Fitzgeralds nextdoor it seems this intersection is getting its revitalization revitalized. haha.