The Heights Restaurant And Bar Scene - More Coming

Freelander

A big name restaurant team stepping into the Heights. Arthur Ave Italian American from the Helen Greek people going in at 1111 Studewood. Should be awesome. 

http://www.houstonpress.com/restaurants/team-behind-helen-greek-food-and-wine-gear-up-for-arthur-ave-italian-american-restaurant-in-the-heights-8299192

Los Cucos located in the same building seems to have gotten pretty popular in the last few months. Seemed to be struggling in the beginning but now they are busy on early Monday nights even.

• 3 weeks later...

Cane Rosso is ready to open.  Staffed up, built out and TABC permitted.  But the city can't get around to doing the final water line inspection, so the opening is delayed indefinitely.  This happens way too often with the City.  Lots of favors and red carpet treatment for big developers.  Small operators get every variance denied and inspections drag on for months.  Cane Rosso has asked for help.  Please contact CM Cohen and ask her to contact Public Works to get this business open.  

Lot of pizza in the Heights: Pink's, Alli's, Cane Rosso, Mellow Mushroom, and now Pi.

Plus Collina's, Coltivare, and the pies Gelazzi are selling. And I wouldn't be surprised if the new red sauce joint going in on Studewood and 11-1/2 served pizza as well.

• Like 1

There is also Nundini.

I have a feeling that Alli's will transform into part of the new bar on the first floor.  That place will clear out when Mellow and Cane open.

Colitvare is not really a pizza place, even though the pizza is amazing.  It takes too much work to get a table there to put it on your list for pizza.  I would bet the same will be true for the new Italian place next to Los Cucos. 

I actually think that the Heights needs some good pizza places.  Pink's is just take out.  Collina's is pretty moo when it comes to pizza.  I would rather eat something else when going to Coltivare, Nundini or any other high(er) end place. 

2 hours ago, Angostura said:

Lot of pizza in the Heights: Pink's, Alli's, Cane Rosso, Mellow Mushroom, and now Pi.

Plus Collina's, Coltivare, and the pies Gelazzi are selling. And I wouldn't be surprised if the new red sauce joint going in on Studewood and 11-1/2 served pizza as well.

+ Chicago Beef. Use to be the only place around to get deep dish.

3 hours ago, bedmondson said:

+ Chicago Beef. Use to be the only place around to get deep dish.

Chicago Italian Beef's deep-dish pizza is really good. And their thin-crust hand-tossed pizza is no slouch either. 

I've been curious about the pizza Gelazzi sells (apparently it's some sort of small-scale franchise agreement with another out-of-town entity?), but the last time I was in the area and in the mood for pizza, I found out that it takes about 45 minutes to prepare once you place your order, and I wasn't able to wait that long that day.

I've had the deep dish pizza from Gelazzi a couple of times.  It's made by Connies', which is a Chicago pizzeria.  It's really good, but in my opinion not as good as the offerings from Lou Malnati's and Giordano's  in the Windy City. Gelazzi will take phone orders.

Houstonians familiar with King's Biergarten & Restaurant in Pearland will tell you they go there as much for the lively experience as for the Austrian/German food.

Owners Johann "Hans" Sitter and his son, Philipp Sitter, have managed to create a playful establishment that combines theater with live music and spaetzli (dumplings), liters of beer and Liptauer cheese spread.

The family is now ready to grow and will debut King's Bierhaus at 2044 East T.C. Jester.

After five great years serving the Pearland community, my father and I are excited to embark on our first expansion project in the Houston Heights to better serve our loyal fans in Central Houston," Phillip says. "We looked at several neighborhoods inside the Loop, but we landed on The Heights because we feel our concept -- which will include a large outdoor area -- will be best received there. Once we did our due diligence, we knew we had found the perfect location for our new concept."

Philipp's father, Johann, emigrated to Texas from Austria in 1994. In 2009, he converted a carwash into a quaint, 45-seat restaurant with just eight employees. Two years later, King's Biergarten is now a 350-seat beer garden, entertainment venue and eatery with 60 employees.

For a city whose restaurateurs routinely open second and third locations in quick succession, Johann has taken a conservative route. Instead of immediately expanding his restaurant to Houston's Inner Loop, he's waited until now, when a 15,000-patron month is common at his Pearland site.

Look for the second location to open sometime this winter.

http://www.chron.com/neighborhood/pearland/business/article/Pearland-Kings-Biergarten-houston-heights-bierhaus-7735953.php#photo-10106726

920x920.jpg

1024x1024.jpg1024x1024.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Bistro Zelko is officially out of business.  She is going to open a cafe in the new park in Bellaire that used to be Teas Nursery.  Jamie lives in the Heights and previously said that she would try to find a new location in the neighborhood if she lost the lease.  It might be a while with the new cafe project, but it would be nice to have her come back to the neighborhood with something new.  The landlord claims to have someone lined up to take over the space.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 7/25/2016 at 5:09 PM, s3mh said:

http://www.chron.com/entertainment/restaurants-bars/article/First-look-Arthur-Ave-Italian-American-8411958.php#photo-10643302

Pretty quick turnaround given how a few others are slogging along.  July 29 opening.

2nd gen spaces are generally quicker to open, but this is a pleasant surprise.

It's going to be packed. Especially since, as delicious as Helen is, this place looks a lot more approachable. And pretty much every kid loves red sauce.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In late July the Salsas Mexican Grill replace the previous Peppers located on Durham and 21st St.  Anyone been?  North of I10, Shepherd seems to get the restaurants while Durham doesn't get any love.

On Sunday, August 28, 2016 at 9:05 PM, s3mh said:

TABC notice for Fusion Taco at 4706 N Main. 

I'm with In the Know Houston. We've been following their expansion since the spring. We finally received a firm confirmation from a source  regarding the expansion and location. However, when we reached out to the owners for additional details, they never responded. We're still waiting... two months now and counting.

Edited by IntheKnowHouston
Spelling error
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...