I realize it's a non-issue right now but I keep thinking about it now and then...still.

When I read other media or hear other media people outside of Texas, there is the tendency to call the Houston NFL team..."Texas."

Nick Canepa, a fine sportswriter for the San Diego Union-Tribune, did.

"Texas" or "Texans" are one and the same when these folks are being overloaded with too much in a hectic day, or Texas is just one of those places it seems.

My buddy in San Diego when I lived there also referred to NFL Houston as "Texas."

My mom, a Buccaneer fan here in the Tampa Bay area (a former Houstonian herself) even referred to the Texans as the "Titans" when she meant to say the former (I plan to watch the upcoming Texans vs Bucs preseason game at her place).

To Bob McNair...people have a problem with the name, however minor...but it is constant.

I dig the Texans' uniforms...really cool design, no matter what negatives Richard "Green Bay Packers uniforms are neat" Justice had to say.

Those "Texans" unis would do a name "Houston Lonestars" justice, wouldn't they?

Too many references to Houston as "Texas" kinda gets me thinking or confused with the college teams around, if you ask me.

Changing names shouldn't be that impossible for pro sports teams if they did it for the Washington Bullets, Tennessee Oilers and what not.

The Houston Lonestars. I like it. It fits the uniforms they have.

The Texans' system seems solid, especially when we see the reserves actually still making plays and putting up yards and points.

It's preseason, to be sure...but I llike the fact that the system is functioning so far.

David Carr had trouble with the Rams' new look defense but it's amazing how the Houston reserves got to shredding. The system is so far, so good, Mr. Kubes.

Carr will be good in the system I think. And he and the starters are about to put in 3/4 time in the imminent preseason games.

Interesting to see how he comes along this year with benefit of change.

While I don't agree the team needs to change its name, I don't like the name and haven't from the beginning. At least our uniforms, logo, and stadium are top notch.

When they were deciding a name, Houston Texans was the only one I liked. I still do, actually:)

Imagine how jacked up things would have been if we were called the Houston Stallions (which I think was in 2nd place). How would horses compete with Cowboys? :P

We can also tell how successful the name is because of how much revenue the Texans are making. McNair's team is still one of the top 5 highest grossing teams in the NFL, and top 10 in all American sports.

At first, I hated the Texans name. I thought it was unoriginal, unimaginative, and a little too redneck for my own personal taste. I was all for the Apollos because it stayed with the Houston/Space theme like all the other pro teams in Houston and I thought it sounded a little more sophisticated than "Texans". But once the first season began back in 2002, it grew on me very rapidly. I think its because the word "Texans" itself sounds tough when people say it which is always a plus in football, plus the name looks good in print. I also immediately liked the logo, uniform, and graphics that came along with it.

I think I have heard some announcers say "Texas" when they should have said "Houston" a few times over the years. I think if the Texans ever establish themselves as a force to be reckoned with in the NFL and if they ever become a popular team on a national level, there won't be any doubt about the name. People just need to hear it more. The team is only in their 5th season and haven't done anything to make a positive name for themselves.

They passed on a golden opportunity to gain national attention by drafting Bush. Even if Bush never lived up to the hype, those idiot sports annoucers would be featuring the Texans much more in the preseason highlights and paying much more attention to the Texans with Bush. Of coarse, if the Texans continued to be a losing team with Bush, the attention would quickly die down, but the Texans would at least be in the national spotlight right now.

Instead, they will have to gain national attention the old fashion way - by earning it the hard way and winning games.

Edited by Coaster

This topic raises an interesting point.

When I first heard the new Houston team name as "Texans", I thought it was a great idea. It could be appealing to everyone in the state, well beyond Houston, even taking a bite out of the Cowboy's traditional base.

That still stands, but what I hadn't thought about was the downside.

Referring to the team as only the "Texans" (as many do), the relationship to Houston gets lost. The team gets associated with the entire state ( + ) including, perhaps, Dallas ( - ) !

All in all, the name is positive, but I think Houston may have missed an opportunity to create a team name that is unique to only Houston.

Like Coaster, I thought the name Apollos was a good choice back in 2000 or so when the name was being pondered.

I also had Challengers up there as well.

It turns out the Texans' uniforms and design are really cool...so by now I think Lonestars would be an appropriate and great name for the visual theme.

It turns out the Texans' uniforms and design are really cool...so by now I think Lonestars would be an appropriate and great name for the visual theme.

LoneStars would be a great name for a Houston team except for the NFL or NHL. Think about Dallas's logo for both those organizations....

In the news...

Kubiak and Rick Smith (newly GM) is looking at Broncos quarterback, Bradlee Van Pelt and wide reciever/kick returner, Charlie Adams.

The Broncos thinking about waving those two after Sunday's night game against the Texans. Futhermore, Ron Dayne (broncos runningback) also might get cut, cause he didn't practiced for 10 days due to an injury and Texans have an eye on him as well.

Edited by houstonsemipro

In the news...

Kubiak and Rick Smith (newly GM) is looking at Broncos quarterback, Bradlee Van Pelt and wide reciever/kick returner, Charlie Adams.

The Broncos thinking about waving those two after Sunday's night game against the Texans. Futhermore, Ron Dayne (broncos runningback) also might get cut, cause he didn't practiced for 10 days due to an injury and Texans have an eye on him as well.

???

How many RBs and QBs do we currently have on the Texans? And what role would they play with the Texans if they were to join? I thought we already found our backups.

I'm guessing Kubiak, and other coaches is not satisfied. Domanick Davis is still not healthly, and the only to is Morceny and Lundy. Antwann Smith can not handle 30 carries a game by himself. He's 34 years old for christ sake. So, Ron Dayne will fit, cause he know the system well.

For Bradlee Van Pelt. I think, this my opinion. But, I think Kubiak is not comfortable with David Carr, because why the hell he still bringing in quarterbacks?

As for Charlie Adams. Kubiak is still looking for a kick returner, and another wide out for a threat. Charlie Adams is both, but he has a knee injury.

Edited by houstonsemipro

The Houston Texans announce they have released the following players:

Wide receiver Derick Armstrong

Guard Mike Brisiel

Defensive end John Chick

Strong safety Anthony Floyd

Linebacker Barrett Green

Tight end Patrick Hape

Cornerback Earthwind Moreland

Wide receiver Donovan Morgan

Linebacker Saleem Rasheed

Running back Damien Rhodes

Defensive tackle Devarick Scandrett

Wide receiver Kendrick Starling

Strong safety Ramon Walker

Teams are allowed to have 75 players on their roster on Tuesday, Aug. 29. The final roster cuts are due to the NFL on Saturday, September 2, with a maximum of 53 players. Teams can establish a practice squad on Sunday, September 3.

Broncos don't wear blue trousers though for their road whites.

In blue, yeah, there's quite a bit of heavy similarity. The Denver design is really the new stuff whereas the Texans' unis still have a conservative stripe to offset the nouveaux swoosh.

I think the Texans' red jersey look is awful though. Discard, discard.

And a cool alternative look for the Texans' white uniform is blue shoulders, red stripe, blue numbers with white trousers (or blue).

Blue home uniforms should be the same blue because the "Battle Red" jerseys are awful (unless they offset decently with blue trousers).

Richard Justice is kinda annoying because while I don't mind him being hard on David Carr...stay off the uniforms, bud. Just because it's a Houston team doesn't mean he has to belittle the Texans' unis as he did a few months ago. He said the Green Bay Packers have a nice classic look, for crying out loud. I'm a degreed graphic designer...the Cheeseheads' team have the most awful uniform, in my opinion. Traditional sentiment is not always a clear value when judging uniforms.

(I don't think David Carr had a horrible game against the Broncos. He picked it up in the second and third quarters moving the team even if he had no touchdown tosses and popped that terrible pick.)

The Tennessee Titans don't have bad looking uniforms...provided they wear white trousers with the white jerseys. Or make the helmets blue. Look how unbalanced their white road look is when they wear blue trousers with white jerseys. In graphic design, the dominant color should not be too heavy, up or down, against white. And when the Titans wear the alternative Columbia blue...look how goofy the uniform is: white helmet, light baby-blue shirts and dark blue pants. Terrible sense of design whoever assembles that grid-iron wardrobe.

I'm going to my first Texans game tonight! Even though it's pre-season. I would like some advice as to where to park I might not make it to the stadium until 6:00 or 6:30. I do not have a parking pass. I heard I might be able to park north of the stadium and walk in through that hotel parking lot. Thanks for any insight.

I'm going to my first Texans game tonight! Even though it's pre-season. I would like some advice as to where to park I might not make it to the stadium until 6:00 or 6:30. I do not have a parking pass. I heard I might be able to park north of the stadium and walk in through that hotel parking lot. Thanks for any insight.

No parking pass....no parking. Park at your favorite Midtown or Downtown watering hole, have a couple of cheap beers, then ride the Red line to the stadium. Works like a charm, and much cheaper than anything near Reliant, even if you can find parking.

The Houston Texans are worth an estimated $1.043 billion, the fourth most valuable franchise in the National Football League, according to Forbes.com.

In the special report, The Business of Football, Forbes ranks the Washington Redskins as the NFL's most valuable franchise, worth $1.423 billion. The New England Patriots and Dallas Cowboys, the second and third most valuable teams, were valued at $1.176 billion and $1.173 billion, respectively. The magazine puts the Texans' value at $1.043 billion -- up 10 percent from its value of $946 million last year, when the team ranked fifth. The Minnesota Vikings were ranked as the least valuable team at $720 million.

Across the NFL, football team values rose an average of about 10 percent during the past year to $898 million, 212 percent more than when Forbes began calculating team values eight years ago. Looking at it this way: Football team values have increased 11 times more than the S&P 500 since 1998. In 2005, the average NFL team posted $30.8 million in operating income -- earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization-- versus $5.3 million in 1997.

The magazine estimates the Texans took in $222 million in revenue last season and earned $57.6 million before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization. Robert McNair paid $700 million to buy the franchise in 1999.

Link... http://houston.bizjournals.com/houston/sto...ml?surround=lfn

The Houston Texans are worth an estimated $1.043 billion, the fourth most valuable franchise in the National Football League, according to Forbes.com.

In the special report, The Business of Football, Forbes ranks the Washington Redskins as the NFL's most valuable franchise, worth $1.423 billion. The New England Patriots and Dallas Cowboys, the second and third most valuable teams, were valued at $1.176 billion and $1.173 billion, respectively. The magazine puts the Texans' value at $1.043 billion -- up 10 percent from its value of $946 million last year, when the team ranked fifth. The Minnesota Vikings were ranked as the least valuable team at $720 million.

Across the NFL, football team values rose an average of about 10 percent during the past year to $898 million, 212 percent more than when Forbes began calculating team values eight years ago. Looking at it this way: Football team values have increased 11 times more than the S&P 500 since 1998. In 2005, the average NFL team posted $30.8 million in operating income -- earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization-- versus $5.3 million in 1997.

The magazine estimates the Texans took in $222 million in revenue last season and earned $57.6 million before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization. Robert McNair paid $700 million to buy the franchise in 1999.

Link... http://houston.bizjournals.com/houston/sto...ml?surround=lfn

Yo Semipro, is it fair to say that the Texans could be ranked 1st or 2nd most valuable team in the NFL if they pose a .500 record this season? The fact that they had the worst record in the NFL, yet still remained in the top 5 in value's pretty impressive.

By the way, this report should shut up anyone who thought we didn't pick up Bush because we couldn't afford 'em.

Lastly, it's beautiful how Sports Illustrated set themselves up for failure AGAIN by underestimating a Houston team. All the Texans have to do is go on a 4-game winning streak at the beginning of the season to give football fans ANOTHER reason why not to listen to 'em. Stephan A. Smith, and Sprotscenter said the same thing. I guess they have no faith in the Texan's changes.

Can't wait to hear how the Texans' improvements "shock" the league. Haven't they been watching the pre-season?