Mathis the dumbass, cause he had an motorcycle accident during offseason. Now he's causing the Texans to look at other wide receivers to take his spot.

Texans do know how to pick the dumb ones.

Was he really a threat at wide receiver. I know we will miss him on returns, but it is not like he is Johnson or moulds at WR.

Mathis the dumbass, cause he had an motorcycle accident during offseason. Now he's causing the Texans to look at other wide receivers to take his spot.

Texans do know how to pick the dumb ones.

Mathis can play though. The only dude to return two kickoff returns for touchdowns last season.

Maybe the Texans will get better because of this. I'm sure Mathis will come back in full form before week 7. Until then, maybe this will give some of the WR an opportunity to step up. Hell, so long as the kickoff returner doesn't fumble or run backwards, it doesn't really matter what he does so long as Carr and the offense does their job, right?

• 1 month later...

Well, here we are ladies and gentlemen in the 2006 season. Can the Texans bounce back from the depressing season from last year? Or it will be a repeat? I say they wouldn't go 2-14 again, at lease I HOPE NOT!

Gary Kubiak, the new Texans head coach been to 6 Super Bowls in his coaching career, an win 3 of them with 49ers and Broncos. So he knows how to form a championship team.

My prediction for this season. Yes, my prediction AGAIN... I give the Texans 6-8 wins. No playoffs. Maybe, just maybe next year in '07 they may make it to the playoffs.

For the players such as, David Carr. If Carr have a bad season this year like last year, he could pack his things up, cause Coach Kubiak will not talorate it. They will trade Carr for a better quarterback, or release him and just draft a top rated quarterback from college. So, Carr you better have an understanding season this year. As for the verterns. They need to step up and make plays this season, step up and be leaders for once. Be more vocal on the slidelines.

In conclusion, the Texans need to win at lease 6 or more wins to get on the right path for next year. If they lose less then 6 games, they will find themselves going backwards instead of going forward. Let's see what y'all have to say about this upcoming season.

Let's see what y'all have to say about this upcoming season.

I got one. I think the Texans will go 8-8. Maybe one or two games away from the playoffs depending on how the other teams do. The Colts got weaker this offseason, and the Titans will have a rookie starting for them (though he's a badass Longhorn), so we're not the only team in the AFC South trying to adjust.

Prior to last season, I remember Bob McNair expecting big things with the talent they had. If that's true, they did poorly because of bad coaching throughout the season. Now we have a remarkable coaching staff (on paper) and new draftees/free agents improving every spot we were weak in. Our worst position, defensive end, now includes the #1 DE avainable in the draft.

...And they'll only improve as the season goes along. Their only Pro-Bowler is injured and will be back in Week 5 or 6. When that time comes, we got ourselves a good punt-returner.

I'm expecting an exceptional defense (unless Williams doesn't come through), but we're gonna find just how talented Carr/Johnson are. They've got blocking now. If their any good, we should have one of the best offenses in the country, and we should see playoffs within the next 2 seasons...

The Texans are real good this year. I have seen some of their videos from Training Camp and they look great. Carr said the Mario can take any snap counts. He said the team would try to trick him, but it never worked ONCE. He also said that Mario is making Peek look better and his side of the ball is causing trouble.

DeMeco Ryans is one good rookie. He has better instincts than A.J. Hawk. His forty time is only 0.4 behind Hawk. If Ryans can get a little faster, he can be better than, or as good as Hawk. Ryan is even telling Orr where to line up in some plays. He is real good.

Article from the AP about Super Mario Williams

HOUSTON (AP) - Beads of sweat poured off Mario Williams' head and a small blade of grass sat perched just below his left eye as he mentioned the Houston heat not once or twice - but about seven times.

The Houston Texans' No. 1 draft pick got rave reviews after his first practice of training camp on Friday, but knows that the tempo and climate of practice will take some getting used to.

"It's hot," he said of the 90-degree temperature mixed with stifling humidity. "But it's probably not as hot as it's going to be. Just being out here and getting a taste of it and just trying to get your body back in football shape is pretty tough."

Williams, a defensive end who starred at North Carolina State, said college two-a-days don't even compare to the difficulty of Friday's session.

"The tempo is very high and the coaches keep it high," he said. "If it's down they get on us constantly. In college it wasn't that hard. This is a different level with the tempo and the enthusiasm and intensity."

Williams fit in well with his teammates and didn't seem to be the victim of much rookie hazing. Veteran Robaire Smith handed him his shoulder pads to lug back to the locker room after practice, but a Texans staff member carried them away as Williams met with reporters.

New Texans coach Gary Kubiak was impressed with Williams on Friday and loves his attitude. Williams made his way into the backfield a couple of times in the short time the team ran full-squad drills.

"I know one thing, if you run that ball his way there's a lot of havoc going on over there - there's a lot of guys going backward," Kubiak said. "And that's what he's here for. He's a tremendous young talent, and it's going to be about consistency with him as a pro."

On the flip side, we made a good choice in not signing Reggie Bush. He is still not signed with the Saints, and he is on holdout. This kid just wants to much money. Even more than Mario. I wouldn't be surprised if he goes on holdout this whole season, and enters the 2007 draft. A short snippet from a CBS Sportsline article:
I might be a total blockhead. OK, I am a total blockhead, but the news emerging this week that Bush could hold out the entire upcoming season, a rumor that crashed into cyberspace just as New Orleans Saints training camp nears, reeks of an agent ploy to put pressure on the team. Maybe the agent did not leak it directly. Maybe the agent did not leak it at all. There is just something about this that smells of attempted manipulation and high-intensity spin.

Bush pledged to donate 25 percent of his jersey royalties to Katrina-related

If Bush's people indeed are responsible for the threat becoming public, they are kidding, right? Contemplate holding out? For the season? Do they realize what team drafted him? Do they understand what city he is in? Do they comprehend that such threats -- as empty as they may be -- make Bush resemble a millionaire prince complaining to housekeepers that his tea is too tepid?

If a long holdout did occur, it would be one of those let-them-eat-cake moments in sports. Bush already possesses his $5 million in endorsements, will make tens of millions in salary and holds out for a few extra million. Some New Orleans residents are still stuck in homes without electricity and running water. If they have homes, that is. They would be holding out for the refrigerator to work. Let them eat cake.

More here: Reggie Bush Holdout

So, with all this, I expect the Texans to go 9-7 or 10-6 this year. The playoffs is not out of the question. This team is doing quite well.

Edited by Trae

Trae, don't count the chickens before they hatch. Alot of people predicted that the Texans had a good team last season, and enter in the post-season. Did they? No. So, I'm telling you Trae let's not rush things just because they look good in training camp, or even preseason. When they win their first 2-3 games that's when you'll say they have a good team probably to make it to the playoffs.

Have you seen the Texans 2006 schedule? The first 4 to 5 games will be a great test. We're talking about the Eagles, followed by the Colts, Redskins, then the Dolphins. Bye week is Week 5, and Week 6 is the big rivalary, Dallas.

The Texans got their hands full in the first 4-6 weeks.

Last season, I didn't remember the Eagles nor Dolphins doing extremely well. They seem real good this year. It just has a different feeling than last year. This year can be a 7-9 to 10-6 season.

Jerek at the Houston Texans Message Boards said it best about today's Training Camp:

WR 1 on 1 w/ CB. Andre Johnson was positively killing everyone, including D-Rob. He and Carr look very sharp, very in sync right now. Mind you this was just route running with no pass rush, but Johnson was using anyone and everyone and not really breaking a sweat. He looks very upbeat and I noticed a lot of the players with a, forgive me the corniness, but a spring in their step, despite the pretty stifling heat. AJ caught every ball thrown to him that I noticed. As Coach C pointed out, Moulds did not practice -- disappointing since I really wanted to see him in action -- but Walther looks pretty good. Buchanon was still getting beat a lot but he looks a lot better, a lot more physical, and Hoke seemed to like his progress. McKinzie is fast but really just too small; he easily kept up with people but would get outjumped for the ball. I think Hoke is trying to get into them about physical hits and it seems like they were catching on. Walther and Armstrong look good and as expected; they are big, run pretty good routes and have great hands, but don't get much separation, which may be an issue against DBs that are taller than 5'9".

My only real concern right now is that our DBs are small and somewhat inexperienced. All of them. Hopefully pressure up front will force bad throws and generate INTs, but our DBs are easily the weakest aspect of our D right now. But ... now that we're no longer going to be asking them to cover WRs for 4+ seconds per play ... I think that is going to make them look much better. Buchanon seems encouraged by the new rush and is playing up a lot more than he used to.

11 on 11. Carr was finding open receivers and throwing a lot of great passes. There were however a very few times he was pressured and threw a hurried pass or took off running where I might have liked to see him wait it out and let the play develop a little more. He was typically able to get rid of the ball pretty quickly. There were a lot of PA bootlegs and rollouts and these were executed beautifully and successfully. On the play Coach C mentioned, Carr PA'd and rolled right and hit AJ in stride for a good 40+ yards ... was poetry to watch. Carr for the most part looked pretty sharp and very upbeat today. I love our offensive playcalling; we are using a lot of 3 WR and sending more people out on routes in any formation. Carr to AJ on the quick slant sent shivers down my spine, and it looks like they are practicing that as a go-to play; saw it a good few times in the short 11 session. Wiegert was starting at RT most of the time IIRC on first team.

D-line vs O-line 1 on 1. Peek is a beast. He looks fast and very strong. He probably still plays a little emotionally and is prone to overpursue, but now that he is on the D-line, that's put to better use. I still don't know about his move repertoire (I'm not expert enough to really analyze him technique-wise) but for the most part he was getting by people with one quick move and charging through. Spencer is large; very large, but looked a little lost at times. He looked okay and I suspect he has a future with this team. I didn't notice Wand very much; not to say he didn't get their reps, just didn't happen to notice them very much. Mario looked good but he still looks like he's thinking too much; but hey, plenty of time to work on that, and it's just the nature of being a rookie any way. He is a physical specimen and absolutely steamrolled his blocker several times. Winston seems to have good footwork but he's not hitting the block quick enough and got beat inside several times.

D-line. I don't know if our D-line is just that good or if our O-line is just not that good, but our D-line was just dominating a lot of the time. Again I'm not expert enough to analyze them on fine points of technique, but the O-line was getting used by our first team D-line. I'm overjoyed that we have a real defensive line and a real pass rush this year. Peek looked like he was getting a lot of the firstteam reps at weakside DE.

D-Rob rolled an ankle, but he looks like he'll be able to walk it off. He sat out the rest of practice but looked like he was okay, just a tweak that'll take a day or two.

Chris Taylor is going to be good, I think. He is fast and he's a hard worker, and he makes good decisions. I like Antowain Smith too, as a short yardage power back. He's huge and he doesn't dance like friggin Jonathon Wells did; he takes the hole and goes. I think he is going to be hard to bring down. Domanick Davis looks good but just a half step shy of his full speed, but he didn't take a lot of reps. I hope we can avoid overusing him this year and let him bang out his 1,200 yards.

I didn't really watch DeMeco Ryans, but he played mostly on the second team today. I'ma watch him tomorrow and check him out in more detail.

I am really excited, after today's practice. It was hot as sin outside and for the most part, the players genuinely looked good, focused, and upbeat. There is a lot of rookie and offseason rust to be cleaned up and the team is going to need time to really gel and learn to play well together, but there is a lot to look forward to. The offensive and defensive playcalling looks incredible. I'm not exaggerating when I say I don't remember one off tackle right play all day. I was going back and forth between the different teams a lot, but we are looking good right now and good for only the second day of camp.

Edited by Trae

Yes. Trae. I've mention Eagles and Dolphins. If the Texans lose their first 2-3 games, people will be talking again about the team and for not picking Vince Young, or Reggie Bush. I could see it right now.

I hate to start up the arguement again, but Young or Bush couldn't do anything to improve the Texans. QB and RB were not the positions that the Texans were poor in. Their blocking was horrible. How would Young improve the team if they had the same style blocking from last season?

You'll right, DJ. I've even mention it before. Young and Bush will not help the team if the blocking scheme is still the same.

Furthermore, did y'all hear the news about Saints finally deal the contract with Bush offering him $60 million for six years? I hate to say this but, the Saints are really stupid for offering Bush that much. I would never offer him that amount of money. The highest I would offered him around $40-$50million probably, and that's too damn much.

Edited by houstonsemipro

I've heard the Texans have problems in runningbacks, cornerbacks and linebackers, that's what Channel 11 News stated. Futhermore, Wali Rainer (linebacker) is out for the season with a broken ankle. They looking at Demco Ryans (rookie) and Sam Cowart to step up.

It's going to be alot of fowns this season.

Edited by houstonsemipro

You'll right, DJ. I've even mention it before. Young and Bush will not help the team if the blocking scheme is still the same.

Furthermore, did y'all hear the news about Saints finally deal the contract with Bush offering him $60 million for six years? I hate to say this but, the Saints are really stupid for offering Bush that much. I would never offer him that amount of money. The highest I would offered him around $40-$50million probably, and that's too damn much.

To be honest, that's one of the things I don't understand about American football. How does a rookie deserve a contract of over $30 million if he's never played a game before in NFL? Say Reggie gets injured on opening day; how exactly does he improve the team? The Saints didn't have a strong team last season, and their best positions, like the Texans, were QB and RB. Now, they draft a star RB, and get Drew Brees, a QB. I'm expecting the Texans to have a better season than the Saints. If not, something's wrong.

In trms of Wali, it's bad news, but not devestating. Demeco Ryans is the main dude to watch. If he becomes a star, we're in great shape. I hear the Texans just traded for another backup QB, which they were looking for. They sound like an intact team. Let's hope no more starters get injured anytime soon

To be honest, that's one of the things I don't understand about American football. How does a rookie deserve a contract of over $30 million if he's never played a game before in NFL?

Me too. I've never understand why a grown man gets millions to play a kid's game in a tax-payer supported luxury stadium while those same taxpayers delicate flower when someone wants a little of those taxes to give teachers a pay hike.

I hope your Texans do well. Will they actually be PLAYING football this year?