I would 214, I really would. The problem is, I happen to be a semi Cowboy fan so I can't. >:)

That's interesting. Most people either love them or hate them. At any rate, your stock just went up with me. Well, I'm still a Houston Oilers Fan. "Luv Ya Blue" When I was a kid, I never knew who to root for when the Cowboys played "Bum" Phillips, Earl Campbell, Billy White Shoes, and the gang. . .ahh the good ol' days.

Because they were getting ready for the Maverick's game! :D By the way, since you appear to be quite knowledgeable regarding the 2005 NFL season, can you please remind all of us the following: At what point during last year's season were the Texans eliminated from playoff contention?

Very early on, and I am glad you bring it up. You suggest that Dallas is a great sports town because a few of it's team owners (apparently NOT including Tom Hicks) have been successful. Yet, it is the FANS that make a city a sports town. The 2-14 Texans outdrew the Cowboys by over 7,000 per game, even though the Cowboys were not eliminated until 4 hours before the end of the season. I lived in Dallas during the Mavericks stellar runs of the 80s and early 90s, and it was not uncommon for their to be more Rockets fans at the games than Maverick fans.

Boston is a great sports town because they rooted for the team even though they lost for 86 years. Aggies are great fans, who set records for attendance while the team is stinking up the place. Chicago fans cheer when the temperature at Soldier Field is announced as 9 degrees...and roar when the wind chill is below 0! The Astros outdrew the Rangers even when the team was 15-30 last year. The Texans put 70,000 in the seats for a terrible team.

The mark of a great sports town is not who the team owner is. It is who the fans are. Dallas fans only show up when the team is winning. That, my friend, is not the definition of a sports town.

Very early on, and I am glad you bring it up. You suggest that Dallas is a great sports town because a few of it's team owners (apparently NOT including Tom Hicks) have been successful. Yet, it is the FANS that make a city a sports town. The 2-14 Texans outdrew the Cowboys by over 7,000 per game, even though the Cowboys were not eliminated until 4 hours before the end of the season. I lived in Dallas during the Mavericks stellar runs of the 80s and early 90s, and it was not uncommon for their to be more Rockets fans at the games than Maverick fans.

Boston is a great sports town because they rooted for the team even though they lost for 86 years. Aggies are great fans, who set records for attendance while the team is stinking up the place. Chicago fans cheer when the temperature at Soldier Field is announced as 9 degrees...and roar when the wind chill is below 0! The Astros outdrew the Rangers even when the team was 15-30 last year. The Texans put 70,000 in the seats for a terrible team.

The mark of a great sports town is not who the team owner is. It is who the fans are. Dallas fans only show up when the team is winning. That, my friend, is not the definition of a sports town.

I'd love to know your source for this information? At any rate, your statements are misleading. Let's take a closer look shall we?

Texas Stadium seating capacity = 65,595 (source)

Reliant Stadium seating capacity = 69,500 (source)

So, the Texans have an opportunity to seat more people for their home games, off the top, due to the 3,905 seat edge in seating capacity that Reliant holds over Texas Stadium. (I don't know how you arrived at 70,000 when the stadium's capacity is just 69,500 - unless you rounded up)

. . .and just so you know, the Dallas Cowboys hold the NFL attendance record for consecutive sell-outs at 160 games. (source)

Edited by 713 To 214

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/attendance

Ever heard of "Standing Room Only"? That's right. The 2-14 Texans averaged 799 SRO fans for every game. And, they done it every year that the team has been here, all losing seasons.

The Cowboys, on the other hand, with Bill Parcells as head coach, only fill 95% of their stadium, which seats 4,000 fewer people.

I noticed that your "record" of 160 selouts included 81 AWAY games. How does that show Dallas to be a sports town? I also noticed it ended in 1999, about the time the team stopped winning as much. Thanks for proving my point.

First off, I won't even deduct cool points. I'll simply make your blood boil right back by saying that the Dallas Stars are the only team to win a championship in Dallas. But give credit to Irving and soon Arlington for being satisfied with hosting other cities' championship franchises...like say, the Cowboys B)

Ah-ha, 214! Ain't got a response to this one yet?

After getting really mad about this Friday night when I first heard, I've had some time to think about it, and now it all becomes clear. I don't know if anyone else has made the connection, but what do Terrell Davis, Olandis Gary, and Clinton Portis have in common? All were 1000yd rushers for Denver that were NOT picked in the first round. Terrell was a 6th round pick. Under Shanahan, Kubiak has coached in a system where they succeeded without spending valuable picks on running backs. I guess we should have seen it coming.

After getting really mad about this Friday night when I first heard, I've had some time to think about it, and now it all becomes clear. I don't know if anyone else has made the connection, but what do Terrell Davis, Olandis Gary, and Clinton Portis have in common? All were 1000yd rushers for Denver that were NOT picked in the first round. Terrell was a 6th round pick. Under Shanahan, Kubiak has coached in a system where they succeeded without spending valuable picks on running backs. I guess we should have seen it coming.

That is exactly what I was trying to point out in my initial post. Kubiak knows what he's doing, his record shows it.

<------------- instantly loses all respect for Gary, and you showed such promise ! :P

TJ, I'm only a semi fan from my LA days. I had some friends in the early nineties who were from Dallas, and they eventually sucked me in during the Super Bowl days. Yes, I was a bandwagon jumper but my loyalty has slowly waned. Especially after listening to 713 to 214's comments.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/attendance

Ever heard of "Standing Room Only"? That's right. The 2-14 Texans averaged 799 SRO fans for every game. And, they done it every year that the team has been here, all losing seasons.

The Cowboys, on the other hand, with Bill Parcells as head coach, only fill 95% of their stadium, which seats 4,000 fewer people.

I noticed that your "record" of 160 selouts included 81 AWAY games. How does that show Dallas to be a sports town? I also noticed it ended in 1999, about the time the team stopped winning as much. Thanks for proving my point.

Very interesting info Red. Also very interesting that 713 has no REAL response to your last two post's.

TJ, I'm only a semi fan from my LA days. I had some friends in the early nineties who were from Dallas, and they eventually sucked me in during the Super Bowl days. Yes, I was a bandwagon jumper but my loyalty has slowly waned. Especially after listening to 713 to 214's comments.

We'll have to perfrom an exorcism on you. DEMON BE GONE ! :D

Dallas fans only show up when the team is winning. That, my friend, is not the definition of a sports town.

At least with respect to football, Dallas fans don't show up when they're losing OR winning. I spend a lot of time in real football towns (and grew up in one), and that was the first big thing I noticed when moving to Dallas, there were no Cowboy fans nor hardly any support for them. It quickly became apparent that a big problem was nobody I met was from Dallas. On my block of the 8 neighbors I've met not one is even from Texas. They all retain their favorite teams from wherever they're from. Houston may be better about that but it certainly has some of the same problems in creating a "sports town" name for themselves. (e.g. huge pop. influx from other areas).

Jason

Yes, I just read it, DJ. Antowain Smith will be a good back up for Davis. Who is Reggie Bush? lol

I feel sorry for the Saints, actually. The only two positions where I thought they didn't have problems were QB and RB. I wouldn't have drafted Bush if I were them.

I think the Texans are complete as a team in terms of talent, but all they need is to build up their chemistry this training camp, and we could see a playoff team. So long as Williams and the new defense players are as good on the field as they are on paper, I also think next season will be a big year in terms of picking up some more offensive talents via free agency and the 1st round .

I agree with you, DJ. The Texans have talent on paper, now its time to produce it on the gridron.

Yo, what's the deal with ticket sales? Are tickets already available for the games?

And what do you think about Houston's new coaching staff? I remember Mike Sherman from Green Bay (I like his coaching skills), but who's the defensive coordinator, and does he have a storied past?

I'm glad we've got Antonwain Smith A.K.A. A-Train.

DJ, the defensice coordinator Richard Smith was hired as the defensive coordinator of the Texans on Feb. 2, 2006 after spending the 2005 season as the defensive coordinator of the Miami Dolphins.

In his stint with the Dolphins, Smith

Sold Out for the 5th straight year. Waiting list is at 6,000...and growing. Apparently, only about 10 people cancelled their tickets after the draft.

I'd love to see an NFL game live someday, but I'm guessing it won't be this year <_< Can't wait to check out the Dynamo and Astros either. By the way, guess I should make the announcement now: I'm back in Houston May 16th...for good! No more Houston Texans games with a Korean telecast for me B)

I have faith in Houston's defense, but I gotta admit that I'm a bit nervous about what Houston's offense will do this season. I think this is a particularly a make it/break it year for David Carr. Also, if the Texans' defense gives up more than, say, 20 points in more than seven games this season, I'll consider the draft a failure.

DJ, its going to be some bad days for the Texans, not only them, but for all of the NFL Teams. It will be bad days, so be prepared for it. I'm also kinda surprised to see the tickets as been sold out for the entire 2006 season. I tell ya one thing, they better do something are the fans will be very very disappointed.

I also agree that this year will be make it/break it for Carr. I have faith in Carr, and I beleive that he could take this team to the playoffs, even the Super Bowl.

Also, WELCOME BACK HOME, DJ!

DJ, its going to be some bad days for the Texans, not only them, but for all of the NFL Teams. It will be bad days, so be prepared for it. I'm also kinda surprised to see the tickets as been sold out for the entire 2006 season. I tell ya one thing, they better do something are the fans will be very very disappointed.

I also agree that this year will be make it/break it for Carr. I have faith in Carr, and I beleive that he could take this team to the playoffs, even the Super Bowl.

Also, WELCOME BACK HOME, DJ!

:) Thanks, SemiPro-Bowler!! Can't wait to come back home! (5 dayz away!) You have any idea how much I miss Tex-Mex food, yo?!

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/3854376.html

Also, I just read this article on the GM. Why isn't Dan Reeves a candidate?

:) Thanks, SemiPro-Bowler!! Can't wait to come back home! (5 dayz away!) You have any idea how much I miss Tex-Mex food, yo?!

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/3854376.html

Also, I just read this article on the GM. Why isn't Dan Reeves a candidate?

5 days and counting...I'm thinking a "welcome home DJ" thread is in order!

:D

• 2 weeks later...
5 days and counting...I'm thinking a "welcome home DJ" thread is in order!

:D

Once again, thank you very much, nmainguy! And HAIF as well! :) Great to be home!

I just stumbled onto this and was like "hmmm..."

http://msn.foxsports.com/fantasy/story/5495694

Look at where Domanick Davis and Reggie Bush are ranked. Does that raise anyone's eyebrow, and is anyone not convinced that the Texans will be a better team with Mario Williams than if we drafted Reggie Bush?