MFAH_01.jpg

^^^ as you may attest from above, the ORIGINAL DESIGN of the exterior glass tubing... called for it to be TRANSLUCENT... throughout the ($450mm) edifice itself.  this particular design element... if they would have held on to it... would have undoubtedly created a much more BEAUTIFUL and SOFTER exterior appearance overall.  however, someone came up with the brilliant idea of FROSTING the glass tubing.  whereby, this in itself, is creating a very COLD STORAGE overall FREEZER affect throughout.  everyone, is acutely aware that our fair city of houston can be HOT and quite HUMID at times.  therefore,  the very last thing that we want from our state-of-the-art, ultra modern MUSEUM OF FINE ART, is for it to resemble a COLD STORAGE FREEZER / YETI COOLER.  i find myself REALLY PRAYING for the OVERALL BEAUTY of this particular... and much anticipated edifice to some day come shining through...    

L_Main_White_Expanded_F_Tundra_35.jpg

Edited by monarch
  • Haha 1

Frosted glass is translucent. Those aren’t mutually exclusive terms. The glass being installed isn’t as translucent as what is shown on the model because it’s a completely different material. I rather like the way the building is coming together, but I may have some bias since I’m helping build it. To each his own, though. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, rgarza said:

Frosted glass is translucent. Those aren’t mutually exclusive terms. The glass being installed isn’t as translucent as what is shown on the model because it’s a completely different material. I rather like the way the building is coming together, but I may have some bias since I’m helping build it. To each his own, though. 

Yes, I think the building is stunning overall. It is already visually striking from a distance. But I have also seen the building up close, from the same perspective as your photo, and the glass tubes appear clunky and inelegant to me. Perhaps I should reserve judgement until all the finishing touches are complete. For instance, I presume there will be some sort of cladding at the bottom of the tubes to conceal the metal framework.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, rgarza said:

^^^ props to you @rgarza for harboring the enthusiasm/courage... to pronounce that you are hereby helping to construct the newest addition to the MUSEUM OF FINE ART HOUSTON.  your "bias" is duly noted, and perfectly acceptable.  nonetheless, THANK YOU for highlighting my overall point, that i was trying to make with the aforementioned initial rendering illustration.  whatever the "material" (S) being utilized for the REALLY TRANSLUCENT exterior cladding within the rendering... it presents a much more BEAUTIFUL, SOFTER, and WATER like overall affect upon the edifice itself, which is much more representative of the BEAUTIFUL MUSEUM DISTRICT of HOUSTON.  heck, even HELEN KELLER could see that there is definitely a difference in the overall appearance.      

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

The model apparently was more representational than a precise replication of the plan.  The tubes being installed are very much what was described from the beginning (and shown in the renderings).

2cd43b_5845a79939a34cddbe340210156d3c72~

^^^ @Houston19514 here's an extra set of HIGH POWERED EYES FOR YOU since your normal SPIN MACHINE is currently running off the charts.  who really cares about just how "representational" the model was within the illustration?  just like "pictures don't lie"... models are not supposed to lie.  they are supposed to be representative of what the desired object is supposed to emulate.  although, no one or nothing has to be absolutely perfect upon this particular scenario (designing a state-of-the-art edifice)... the differences in the overall appearances of the model vs the edifice under construction... is absolutely OVER POWERING!      

• Like 1

You guys know that this building will be internally lit right? Rather than being solely lit by exterior sunlight? So the appearance of the exterior glass is guaranteed to change, and will likely shift throughout the day? 

Now it's entirely possible that this cladding scheme just won't work, but the final effect will not be clear until the building is actually finished.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

On 4/20/2020 at 3:54 PM, monarch said:

^^^ @Houston19514 here's an extra set of HIGH POWERED EYES FOR YOU since your normal SPIN MACHINE is currently running off the charts.  who really cares about just how "representational" the model was within the illustration?  just like "pictures don't lie"... models are not supposed to lie.  they are supposed to be representative of what the desired object is supposed to emulate.  although, no one or nothing has to be absolutely perfect upon this particular scenario (designing a state-of-the-art edifice)... the differences in the overall appearances of the model vs the edifice under construction... is absolutely OVER POWERING!      

No spin here. Just trying to stick to the facts.  Contrary to your claim, the plans for the glass tube exterior of the new museum building were not revised.  Yes, the pictures of the model appear to show a different material.  But guess what?   The pictures of the model also don’t match the renderings or the architect’s descriptions of the glass tubes.  

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

No spin here. Just trying to stick to the facts.  Contrary to your claim, the plans for the glass tube exterior of the new museum, building were not revised.  Yes, the pictures of the model appear to show a different material.  But guess what?   The pictures of the model also don’t match the renderings or the architect’s descriptions of the glass tubes.  

Also I doubt that they will make the sidewalks out of cardboard like the model. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, jmitch94 said:

Also I doubt that they will make the sidewalks out of cardboard like the model. 

I think that in most architectural models, more effort is expended to make the building being modeled look like the final building than to make the trees in the model look like actual trees or the streets and sidewalks look like actual streets and sidewalks. People already know what the pavement looks like so the modeler doesn't put much time into the pavement; the point of the model is to show what the building will look like. Granted it will not be exact and there will be some leeway; how much leeway there should be is debatable.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Friday, May 1st was the last day we were scheduled to be able to use the north crane, so they probably started tear-down Friday evening and completed on Saturday. The remaining tower crane is scheduled to come down on May 15th, although that is subject to change depending on how much crane work we have left to do in two weeks. This project is nearing completion! (at least as far as major exterior construction goes)

• Like 6

As a person who only ever gets excited for whispers about trains (and buses too) this place thrills me. 

Might I have some critiques, sure. But frankly the thing is worthy of critique. It's cool in a whole lotta ways. It's possessed of a rather more severe grandeur than in the renderings. 

• Like 8

On 5/4/2020 at 11:14 AM, slcowart416 said:

That one missing piece of glass tubing on the north wall (facing church & Glassell School) has been driving me crazy for weeks!

Unfortunately, it’s gonna have to drive you crazy for a while longer lol. The replacement glass is literally on a slow boat from China. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 2

On 5/7/2020 at 12:31 PM, rgarza said:

Unfortunately, it’s gonna have to drive you crazy for a while longer lol. The replacement glass is literally on a slow boat from China. 

I hope that slow boat from China is bringing lots of spares.:P💸:huh:

mt7fnKz.jpg

9B8J5vf.jpg

• Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

@hindesky it sure is. Hopefully, those replacements should be arriving within the next few weeks. The bad news is that almost no elevation has the same dimensions as far as height is concerned so each piece has to be custom ordered and made as the qc man finds them. Makes for a very slow replacement process. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1