6 hours ago, Luminare said:

I will say, I'm holding judgement on the exterior for now. I was a bit put off by how wide these tubes initially looked. I really thought they were going to be a lot more slender. Right now they feel a bit...fat. Lets wait to see the full build out.

That was my initial reaction as well. The building renderings suggest more slender tubes. But, the renderings are also from a different perspective than the photos of the actual installed tubes.

• Like 2

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 9:33 PM, jmitch94 said:

The roof is very Frank Gehry looking and I like it. 

It is indeed. People viewing this museum by helicopter will feel their knees wobble and their jaws drop. People visiting it on the ground will have to rely on photographs for the full effect.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

It is indeed. People viewing this museum by helicopter will feel their knees wobble and their jaws drop. People visiting it on the ground will have to rely on photographs for the full effect.

Lets just wait till we see the interiors of those spaces. At that maybe we can throw ropes from those helicopters to pull people up 'action hero' style.

6 hours ago, bobruss said:

No, those people on the ground will be able to walk up a flight of stairs to the top of the Glassell and get pretty much the view.

Shhhh, its like the best kept secret of that area. I go up there 8pm-ish and theres barely that many people, while theres still a bunch of people milling around and looking at the statutes below. 

But that will be a fantastic place to see it. It looked like they had a decent part of the portion facing montrose up already, might try to snap a pic today or tomorrow.

• Like 7

14 hours ago, X.R. said:

Shhhh, its like the best kept secret of that area. I go up there 8pm-ish and theres barely that many people, while theres still a bunch of people milling around and looking at the statutes below. 

But that will be a fantastic place to see it. It looked like they had a decent part of the portion facing montrose up already, might try to snap a pic today or tomorrow.

Being up there is one of my favorite places in the city to relax. My house is only a 10-minute walk from there and I bought the house in Montrose two years ago when Glassell was still under construction, so this public space has been a particularly great amenity for me - wasn’t even a selling point when we bought!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, bobruss said:

The views up there are spectacular, but I won't tell a soul.

I often take dates up there and it always amazes them with the views. Great pace to talk and stare off into the distance.  Funny story I once took a date there after going to a wine bar but didn't realize that you cant walk up there after a certain hour so I tried to bribe the guard but he stayed true to his mission. She liked the gesture. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jmitch94 said:

I often take dates up there and it always amazes them with the views. Great pace to talk and stare off into the distance.  Funny story I once took a date there after going to a wine bar but didn't realize that you cant walk up there after a certain hour so I tried to bribe the guard but he stayed true to his mission. She liked the gesture. 

"Oh yeah? Closed, you say? Well... let's see if Abe Lincoln makes you say otherwise!" (side wink at girlfriend)

"Umm, sorry, the roof really is closed."

• Haha 2

I know some were upset with the scale of the tubes compared to what they had seen in the model, but I was looking at the model and those tubes in scale are just about exactly the same as the ones in real life. I also think that once the whole building is clad and you have floor to rooftop tubes they won't look so wide. I know through experience that anytime you look at something that is unfinished, it many times looks wrong or you don't get the effect that was intended until it's finished. If that makes sense.

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, bobruss said:

I know some were upset with the scale of the tubes compared to what they had seen in the model, but I was looking at the model and those tubes in scale are just about exactly the same as the ones in real life. I also think that once the whole building is clad and you have floor to rooftop tubes they won't look so wide. I know through experience that anytime you look at something that is unfinished, it many times looks wrong or you don't get the effect that was intended until it's finished. If that makes sense.

Typical with anything design wise. The whole process one continuously doubts oneself until it all suddenly clicks and comes together. Every render/visualization I ever construct for a building is exactly this. Somehow it just comes together at a point. I'm still trying to figure it all out. Its a headache yet beautiful process.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, DarklyMoron said:

While obviously different materials, I'm seeing a kindred spirit in CAMH's cladding.

CAMH_exterior.jpg

Yeah, it also reminds me of the metal-sided townhomes in 4th Ward and elsewhere. I'm trying to withhold judgment on this. I am a person who likes permanent materials, like stone. I know, I know, stone isn't permanent.

• Like 2

I'm not sure if anyone has posted this before but if they have I apologize. 

This is a link to the MFAH new campus. It's an overview of the project and I found it informative and fun to watch.

I hope you enjoy.

https://www.mfah.org/blogs/futuremfah/watch-a-glimpse-of-the-futuremfah

Edited by bobruss
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...