Drove by the corner of Main and Binz today and noticed they have started installing the outer shell. It appears to be some sort of acrylic individual half round column like panels that might be eight to ten feet tall. They probably stick out from the supports 9". It's going to be a very interesting undulating surface of glowing white light. Someone needs to get by tomorrow and take some pictures so everyone will see what I'm trying to describe. My description probably isn't very clear.

• Like 6

54 minutes ago, bobruss said:

Drove by the corner of Main and Binz today and noticed they have started installing the outer shell. It appears to be some sort of acrylic individual half round column like panels that might be eight to ten feet tall. They probably stick out from the supports 9". It's going to be a very interesting undulating surface of glowing white light. Someone needs to get by tomorrow and take some pictures so everyone will see what I'm trying to describe. My description probably isn't very clear.

Ill try to swing by if I can remember. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thats great. Thanks jmitch94, for all of the great photos! They've made progress since I first saw them installing the panels. I cant wait to see those lights turn on. I bet the first night they test them there will be a crowd..

It's going to be amazing. It will create a real buzz, because the landscape and overall master plan are going to make the whole campus connect and be a magnet for visitors,  that will drawn to the light! Are you ready?

• Like 6

44 minutes ago, bobruss said:

Thats great. Thanks jmitch94, for all of the great photos! They've made progress since I first saw them installing the panels. I cant wait to see those lights turn on. I bet the first night they test them there will be a crowd..

It's going to be amazing. It will create a real buzz, because the landscape and overall master plan are going to make the whole campus connect and be a magnet for visitors,  that will drawn to the light! Are you ready?

Y'all keep an eye out for any update videos/pictures from the museum or contractor. I saw a guy in a hard hat and vest behind the fence with what looked like a drone controller. 

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure the building will always be white. Let's save the colored lights for commercial and medical towers.

Museums should let the art stand for itself. They will have art sculptures and water features, on the outside of the building and it shouldn't have to compete with the building.

The white will not become boring its going to be beautiful.

• Like 7

On 7/6/2019 at 12:08 PM, bobruss said:

I'm pretty sure the building will always be white. Let's save the colored lights for commercial and medical towers.

Museums should let the art stand for itself. They will have art sculptures and water features, on the outside of the building and it shouldn't have to compete with the building.

The white will not become boring its going to be beautiful.

5 minutes ago, Naviguessor said:

Please let it be a static tone.  The changing color LED lights have become a design cliché, which is way overused in my opinion. 

Agree with both. Dynamic colors feels more commerical as its a type that needs as much attention as possible. A museum is already going to get that kind of attention. A museum wants to be more stately and calm. Plus its at a very prime spot in the district. Making it all kinds of crazy colors will just make it look like its trying too hard. "KISS" (Keep It Simple Stupid) isn't just for the military it also applies a lot to design.

EDIT: I will say, I'm holding judgement on the exterior for now. I was a bit put off by how wide these tubes initially looked. I really thought they were going to be a lot more slender. Right now they feel a bit...fat. Lets wait to see the full build out.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Naviguessor said:

Please let it be a static tone.  The changing color LED lights have become a design cliché, which is way overused in my opinion. 

amen to that!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it is just cheesy in my opinion...i always laugh when i see pools with changing lights...just looks cheap

and unfortunately the new lit/metal christmas trees along post oak will be changing colors...saw them out and testing them a couple of weeks ago!

i think plain white looks classy more than boring.

(edited to say that for events and holidays i do not mind a color element or multiple colors etc...but a static color as @Naviguessor said!) :)

Edited by gene
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, gene said:

amen to that!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it is just cheesy in my opinion...i always laugh when i see pools with changing lights...just looks cheap

and unfortunately the new lit/metal christmas trees along post oak will be changing colors...saw them out and testing them a couple of weeks ago!

i think plain white looks classy more than boring.

Yeah, but thats Post Oak. That screams I WANT ATTENTION. It matches for that area. We aren't a Dallas that is flashy (which I appreciate). However, I'm tolerant of having one area in town that has that flashy identity. Museum district should have a calmer and more stately vibe.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 2

I think it'll be white 95% of the time, kind of like The Post Oak diamonds. Then for major events or something they can be changed. The Post Oak went red for Rockets playoff wins.

The only changing LED colors I support are the arches on 59/69. It adds a lot to an otherwise barren "canal" on the highway. Of course it looks bad when some of the lights go out or don't change correctly.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I think white will get boring, but I agree totally flashy is not needed.  Perhaps keep all the tubes the same color, but have them change color once an hour (e.g, white from 9:00 to 10:00, blue from 10:00 to 11:00, green from 11:00 to 12:00, and so on).  

• Like 2

I always believed that the concept of the lit structure was to backlight the big Live Oaks around the property, which I thought was a very nice move as it respects the existing beauty of the area as well as provide a gentle light to the streetscape. I just don't think that this subtle effect would work with anything other than white.    

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Luminare said:

Yeah, but thats Post Oak. That screams I WANT ATTENTION. It matches for that area. We aren't a Dallas that is flashy (which I appreciate). However, I'm tolerant of having one area in town that has that flashy identity. Museum district should have a calmer and more stately vibe.

Couldn't agree more.

• Like 1

On 7/6/2019 at 10:26 AM, danielsonr said:

Yes. From Steven Holl Architects website, here is a photo of what appears to be a mock up of the lighting...

This will look great until the back lights start burning out. It doesn't appear to be designed for easy maintenance.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Angostura said:

This will look great until the back lights start burning out. It doesn't appear to be designed for easy maintenance.

I'm sure a nearly half billion dollar project like this will think of maintenance.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1