October 2020 is pretty far out, and a little disappointing to be honest. Its been fairly dry the last couple of months, so I thought they would be flying through that building. I assume that they are doing all of the landscaping and gardens for the museum too because there's no way just that building alone needs 1 year and a month to be completed.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, X.R. said:

October 2020 is pretty far out, and a little disappointing to be honest. Its been fairly dry the last couple of months, so I thought they would be flying through that building. I assume that they are doing all of the landscaping and gardens for the museum too because there's no way just that building alone needs 1 year and a month to be completed.

The finishes on a building like this take a long time because they have to be perfect. That's why homes and apartments have textured walls and ceilings to cover up shoddy craftsmanship where as a building like this would not be okay with that. Plus I drove by last night and yeah I can totally see why I will be over a year to completion. The interior is still just exposed beams.  

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, jmitch94 said:

The finishes on a building like this take a long time because they have to be perfect. That's why homes and apartments have textured walls and ceilings to cover up shoddy craftsmanship where as a building like this would not be okay with that. Plus I drove by last night and yeah I can totally see why I will be over a year to completion. The interior is still just exposed beams.  

Wait are we talking about the museum or the garage at Lyric?

If you mean the Museum...yeah its going to take a long time. One, its Steven Holl. Two, its a museum. Three, its going to be the crown jewel for this district. They can take as long as they need to get it right.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Luminare said:

Wait are we talking about the museum or the garage at Lyric?

If you mean the Museum...yeah its going to take a long time. One, its Steven Holl. Two, its a museum. Three, its going to be the crown jewel for this district. They can take as long as they need to get it right.

I'm referring to the building that this thread is dedicated to. You are absolutely right, this needs to be done right and will be one of Houston's signature buildings. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, X.R. said:

Also, if they are just giving it to MFAH in October 2020, it will probably be a few more months before the museum is open. We're probably looking at 2021.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

Also, if they are just giving it to MFAH in October 2020, it will probably be a few more months before the museum is open. We're probably looking at 2021.

That is exactly what the worker told me, they turn it over but the museum has to do their part before it will open. I asked if he knew the opening date and was told, no. Why rush perfection.

• Like 1

Rajnar Jartansson's The Visitor, is going away after this weekend and I highly recommend it if you like music and video. Its a beautifully presented work that you should take the time to see.

If you do like music, the director of the Glassel school and well known sculptor Joseph Havel, along with sculptor Steve Murphy, and I, Tin Night, will be performing in the arts district this Friday night at the Patio at the Pit Room from 8:00-11:00.. I hope that some of you will come out and hear our unique sound, and get there early and enjoy some of the incredible barbecue.

Hope to see some of you.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bobruss said:

Rajnar Jartansson's The Visitor, is going away after this weekend and I highly recommend it if you like music and video. Its a beautifully presented work that you should take the time to see.

If you do like music, the director of the Glassel school and well known sculptor Joseph Havel, along with sculptor Steve Murphy, and I, Tin Night, will be performing in the arts district this Friday night at the Patio at the Pit Room from 8:00-11:00.. I hope that some of you will come out and hear our unique sound, and get there early and enjoy some of the incredible barbecue.

Hope to see some of you.

Sounds cool! Anywhere I can hear yalls music online?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, slcowart416 said:

Are these panels made of glass or plastic?  I'm concerned that if they are plastic / resin type material, they will "yellow" over time and thus become ugly.

A McCarthy worker told me they were glass, my concern would be vandals.

• Like 4