1579771636-5e2966f47c747.png

^^^ @rgarza what part of china are these replacements items being shipped from?  shall they be immediately placed in quarantine... before being placed upon the exterior of our multimillion dollar museum?  what form of safety measures do your bosses have in place... to ensure that these particular items were not constructed in WUHAN, CHINA? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rgarza said:

We have been instructed not to lick these windows. It’s been pretty difficult for us dumb construction workers, but we’re managing. Seriously, though, I don’t know where in China they’re coming from, but I’m pretty sure any microbes on the glass will be long dead by the time they get here. Covid-19 can live up to 5 days on glass and metal surfaces and these replacements are taking weeks to get here. We’re fine. Just to be safe though, please do not lick this museum! I repeat, this is not a lickable museum!!

• Like 1

On 5/10/2020 at 7:10 AM, rgarza said:

We have been instructed not to lick these windows. It’s been pretty difficult for us dumb construction workers, but we’re managing. Seriously, though, I don’t know where in China they’re coming from, but I’m pretty sure any microbes on the glass will be long dead by the time they get here. Covid-19 can live up to 5 days on glass and metal surfaces and these replacements are taking weeks to get here. We’re fine. Just to be safe though, please do not lick this museum! I repeat, this is not a lickable museum!!

Aww man I was hoping there would be lickable wallpaper.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 4/20/2020 at 8:18 PM, zaphod said:

I mean, they could always improve on it with LED lighting. A nice warm white would look really good at night.

That’s the plan.. I think the design will really shine at night.

On 5/10/2020 at 2:23 PM, mkultra25 said:

Ugh, this makes me sad that day for night is no more.. best festival ever.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/13/2020 at 12:42 AM, cloud713 said:

That’s the plan.. I think the design will really shine at night.

Ugh, this makes me sad that day for night is no more.. best festival ever.

I can say, without any doubt at all, Aphex Twin at Day for Night was the best live show I have ever seen, and probably will ever see.

from the backdrop of downtown Houston, to the way he timed the music just right to slowly build, and just when the cold front blew in, he changed the tempo. what a show.

anyone who likes that kind of music and couldn't be at that event missed something very special in my opinion.

it is a tragedy (for Houston) that Day for Night couldn't make it as an event.

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...
17 hours ago, rgarza said:

Apparently, there was even talk of trying to get replacements put on a cargo plane, but of course we weren’t the only ones to have that idea so space is at a super premium on cargo planes.

Can confirm. Many of my clients who used to use air freight to move smaller volume products are getting pushed off the planes and back to sea. Space on planes comes at too high of a premium at the moment. Too expensive for most. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

What really sucks about this facade is that the owner now has a difficult to maintain building.  The contractor right now has leverage to get replacement pieces (retainage, successful contract closeout, etc).  5 years from now the supplier will have very little insensitive to provide glass for a broken piece cause by the proverbial lawnmower throwing rocks.   I guess they could buy a bunch of attic stock but it looks like most of the pieces are in different sizes.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, rgarza said:

This is the install on the canopy that covers the courtyard facing Main St. It’s gonna look beautiful once it’s done, but boy oh boy is it nerve wracking to install. Each piece weighs in the neighborhood of 1200kg and we’ve got to be directly underneath it while it’s being put in. 

3D160450-5396-4963-A182-1AF6DF31A5BE.jpeg

BBEB997A-5F8D-4527-8B36-8D8024465B06.jpeg

Is there some sort of cladding on the courtyard walls, or is the concrete just painted? It appears to no longer be raw concrete in your (and hindesky's) photos. 

Edited by danielsonr
  • Like 5

So these canopy's and alcoves correlate to the gardens and meditative spaces they are creating around this development? Rode by yesterday and was trying to match up the schematics to what we're seeing. 

Edit: Looks amazing, btw

Edited by X.R.
  • Like 6

• 4 weeks later...