what-your-word-for-attractive-says-about

^^^ those CLEAR GLASS TUBES have left me STUNNED!  what is the significance of that particular area of this edifice?  why are they in that particular spot?  you mean to tell me that this particular design element was a possibility from the start?  why couldn't the architect utilize this gorgeous CLEAR GLASS TUBING design element all over this burgeoning edifice?  was this particular design element much too costly?  thank you to @hindesky brilliant photography for showing these glass elements side by side of each other.  the overall appearance/difference is simply astonishing!  not to mention quite STUNNING!  one can only imagine if this particular design element was utilized throughout the entire edifice, along with very subtle LED lighting design affects throughout.  the end result could have resulted in the most beautiful modern day MFA in the world.  my goodness gracious, what on earth is happening here...?       

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I wouldn’t get too excited about the fence coming down. As far as I know, that was just a temporary measure taken when it looked like Laura was headed right for us (also note the sandbags at the doors). Fences should be back up in the next few days. 

As for the clear tube glass, I can take it or leave it. It looks nice from a distance, but up close shows all of the support steel, which just isn’t very pretty to my eye. If the entire facade was clear, the support steel would be visible throughout and I think it’d kill whatever beauty was gained from the look of the clear glass. I much prefer the frosted glass. It gives it much more of a cloud-like appearance (which was the architect’s intent, if I’m not mistaken). I’m not sure of the significance of this area, except that it’s one of the entrances and each entrance to the building is unique in some way. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

The original plans showed doors directly into the cafe behind those clear tubes. The model on display in the museum lobby showed a couple small patches of clear tubing on the facade aligned with gallery windows. This section is the only one that was retained. As much as we like windows, they can be problematic with artwork, especially works on paper.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, monarch said:

^^^ those CLEAR GLASS TUBES have left me STUNNED!  what is the significance of that particular area of this edifice?  why are they in that particular spot?  you mean to tell me that this particular design element was a possibility from the start?  why couldn't the architect utilize this gorgeous CLEAR GLASS TUBING design element all over this burgeoning edifice?  was this particular design element much too costly?  thank you to @hindesky brilliant photography for showing these glass elements side by side of each other.  the overall appearance/difference is simply astonishing!  not to mention quite STUNNING!  one can only imagine if this particular design element was utilized throughout the entire edifice, along with very subtle LED lighting design affects throughout.  the end result could have resulted in the most beautiful modern day MFA in the world.  my goodness gracious, what on earth is happening here...?       

........or they all will be like that and this was just a mock-up portion. the rest could be covered in protective film that they will remove before completion. 

Edited by shasta
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

I took this photo back in June and was intrigued with the apparent “spider web” like pattern highlighted by the sun within the translucent tubes. 

Something has always looked off to me as the stacked vertical tubes meet - the abutting seams just look dark and unfinished. Could there actually be a film covering the clear glass tubes? 👀

I doubt it, but it’s interesting speculation nonetheless.  

BDC0769F-36A1-4DD5-8110-056B353ACB0A.png

Edited by Stone
Typo
  • Like 5

On 8/29/2020 at 1:33 AM, Stone said:

I took this photo back in June and was intrigued with the apparent “spider web” like pattern highlighted by the sun within the translucent tubes. 

Something has always looked off to me as the stacked vertical tubes meet - the abutting seams just look dark and unfinished. Could there actually be a film covering the clear glass tubes? 👀

I doubt it, but it’s interesting speculation nonetheless.  

BDC0769F-36A1-4DD5-8110-056B353ACB0A.png

Let's wait and see.

Edited by shasta
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

Now that you show this view from above, the origin of the "spiderweb" pattern mystery seems so obvious, but damn it if I never considered that the tubes were open on top and would require some sort of covering.

What I want to know is what happens when a pigeon lands on top and sh*!ts through the grating, leaving a nice streak on the inside of these tubes...

• Like 6

i got confirmation yesterday from a source that wishes to remain anonymous that the reason there are only 6 clear tubes FOR NOW is that they are testing them out...they are like bank tubes at the drive thru but for people...you step in and they suction you up to the next level...for now they can each only hold up to 2 people or a family of 3 to 4 depending on how small the child is...

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

30 minutes ago, DarklyMoron said:

Not entirely surprising, but it was announced today that the opening has been pushed back from November 1st to November 21st.

Press release: https://www.mfah.org/press/mfah-announces-inaugural-installations-kinder-building

Chronicle: https://preview.houstonchronicle.com/art-exhibits/here-s-when-you-can-visit-mfah-s-new-kinder-15567959

That date felt a bit ambitious before the pandemic. 

Edited by jmitch94
  • Like 2

Quick update from the inside, museum staff have started moving in. There’s still quite a bit to do, but they are starting to move some art into the building. Of course, it’s not on display yet, but it is there! Barring any other major setbacks due to hurricanes or whatever, I think the new opening date is entirely doable. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mls1202 said:

rgarza, do you know what material the curved ceilings are made of?  In some pics it looks like fabric sails (with what looks like grommets along the edge), while others look like plaster.

It’s plaster. Fabric sails would’ve been cool, but I imagine it’d be a nightmare to keep clean. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1