28 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

FWIW, One imagines that if the Law Building doors are currently closed, it might be because of the COVID-induced reduced operating capacity.

Maybe but they have taken away the admissions desk in that area and hung art around the space. I think it's more likely because there is no more parking lot across the street so it would be a seldom used entrance and there is no need to duplicate admissions staff. Also allows for more exhibit space.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

Maybe but they have taken away the admissions desk in that area and hung art around the space. I think it's more likely because there is no more parking lot across the street so it would be a seldom used entrance and there is no need to duplicate admissions staff. Also allows for more exhibit space.

I think the Law Building admissions desk was relocated to the side quite some time ago.  And there's this from the MFAH website regarding admissions adjustments due to COVID:

"On the main campus, a single designated visitor entrance, at the Audrey Jones Beck Building (5601 Main Street)."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

I think the Law Building admissions desk was relocated to the side quite some time ago.  And there's this from the MFAH website regarding admissions adjustments due to COVID:

"On the main campus, a single designated visitor entrance, at the Audrey Jones Beck Building (5601 Main Street)."

I didn't see any admissions desk in that area (do you mean to the side of the former entrance area or the side of the building on Main Street?). And there is another visitor's entrance currently open in the Kinder building, so that notice cannot be up to date. You can research further but I'm not sure what's at stake here. If they do bring it back as an entrance, great.

Edited by H-Town Man

The Law entrance is only closed to limit the staff needed for screening, etc. It will be reopened whenever we return to normal. 
@H-Town ManI think your point about the interior having a slightly dismal feel is interesting. The new Menil drawing center mitigates that transition from the bright outdoors to the necessary dimness for works on paper rather well. Harder in a space like Kinder with the mix of mediums. And I agree that Law and really the entire campus looks and feels so much more cohesive and smart. Just that little bit of landscaping in the median does a lot to connect the two buildings. I get your point about the pods. I used to love going to the Met in NY and getting utterly lost in some wing. That said, I think most would argue for clear way finding. And I’d suggest that for a newbie visitor, this expanded campus gives you many opportunities to get lost. Imagine directing someone from the Glassell entrance to the European paintings.

Anyway, thanks for your thoughtful observations.

4 hours ago, DarklyMoron said:

The Law entrance is only closed to limit the staff needed for screening, etc. It will be reopened whenever we return to normal. 
@H-Town ManI think your point about the interior having a slightly dismal feel is interesting. The new Menil drawing center mitigates that transition from the bright outdoors to the necessary dimness for works on paper rather well. Harder in a space like Kinder with the mix of mediums. And I agree that Law and really the entire campus looks and feels so much more cohesive and smart. Just that little bit of landscaping in the median does a lot to connect the two buildings. I get your point about the pods. I used to love going to the Met in NY and getting utterly lost in some wing. That said, I think most would argue for clear way finding. And I’d suggest that for a newbie visitor, this expanded campus gives you many opportunities to get lost. Imagine directing someone from the Glassell entrance to the European paintings.

Anyway, thanks for your thoughtful observations.

Then Houston 19514 was right. I do wish they'd lose the entrance space there and let the Islamic collection flow across. The vast central exhibit space is still I think the major issue hamstringing the building but it will be seen as blasphemy to alter Mies' design.

You are right, the whole campus affords many opportunities to get lost.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
3 hours ago, DarklyMoron said:

An extremely positive review of both the building and the installations in the National Review (with a few brief right wing asides). 
https://www.nationalreview.com/2021/02/hallelujah-houston-mfa/

The article seems to be behind a translucent-semi-circular-glass-tubes-covered paywall. 

Edited by MidCenturyMoldy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, tangledwoods said:

Just noticed a project at UCLA that looks suspiciously familiar.  So who had the curvey façade idea first?  Steven Hall or Johnston Marklee?

UCLA ARTS UNVEILS NEW MARGO LEAVIN GRADUATE ART STUDIOS | UCLA Arts

Johnston Marklee

Capture.JPG

9-web.jpg

Are those glass or concrete? If concrete then it reminds me of a grain silo.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Cafe Leonelli, the long-awaited Houston debut of Michelin Star chef Jonathan Benno, will open April 16 at the Nancy and Rich Kinder Building at the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, according to an announcement on Tuesday.

The cafe will focus on traditional Italian cuisine, producing house-made focaccia, sandwiches, salads, pasta dishes, and meat and seafood fare. Also look for Italian pastries from executive pastry chef Salvatore Martone and an outpost of Miami-based ice cream shop Frohzen.

Cafe Leonelli will have indoor and outdoor seating.

:From Houstonia 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, hindesky said:

Cafe Leonelli, the long-awaited Houston debut of Michelin Star chef Jonathan Benno, will open April 16 at the Nancy and Rich Kinder Building at the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, according to an announcement on Tuesday.

The cafe will focus on traditional Italian cuisine, producing house-made focaccia, sandwiches, salads, pasta dishes, and meat and seafood fare. Also look for Italian pastries from executive pastry chef Salvatore Martone and an outpost of Miami-based ice cream shop Frohzen.

Cafe Leonelli will have indoor and outdoor seating.

:From Houstonia 

Is this going in that amazing looking space with all the chairs that faces binz/bissonnet? A michelin star chef? Food in Houston is seriously going places, what an amazing get by the Museum. 

• Like 8

7 hours ago, X.R. said:

Is this going in that amazing looking space with all the chairs that faces binz/bissonnet? A michelin star chef? Food in Houston is seriously going places, what an amazing get by the Museum. 

Yes, the cafe is in the space along Bissonnet. The restaurant is in the space facing the sculpture garden. The restaurant should be pretty spectacular. Can’t wait.

• Like 5

• 2 months later...
  • The title was changed to Glassell School of Art
  • The title was changed to Screening Of This Is Our Home, It Is Not For Sale At MFAH
  • The title was changed to Museum Of Fine Arts Houston At 1001 Bissonnet St.
  • 1 month later...

https://www.theartnewspaper.com/2023/05/01/museum-fine-arts-houston-new-islamic-art-galleries

"The addition of six new galleries has almost doubled the square footage designated for Islamic art at MFAH. The institution now houses what its director and chair Gary Tinterow describes as “perhaps the most extensive collection of Iranian art in private hands”."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 4 months later...

It looks like the MFAH, is preparing a site, in front of the Kinder Bldg., near the entrance to the sculpture garden on Bissonnet. I've heard it's a Simone Leigh sculpture. Her work was featured in the Venice Biennale. This will be an important acquisition for the museum and it will look nice there. I'd also like to see something sited along  Main.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Purdueenginerd said:

This is correct. 

IMG_0625.jpeg.d729fc04c7b06350fc2623f1ca938eef.jpeg

HOUSTON–August 9, 2023—Simone Leigh’s towering, 24-foot-high Satellite (2022), an edition for Houston of the artist’s signature work from the 59th Venice Biennale, will be installed in front of the Nancy and Rich Kinder Building for modern and contemporary art in October.

Satellite was the centerpiece of the artist’s project for the American Pavilion in Venice, epitomizing her exploration of the Black female figure through bronze and aligning closely to her vessels, which symbolize and honor Black women. The piece will be sited adjacent to Cristina Iglesias’s water sculpture Inner Landscape (2020), at the entrance to the Kinder Building.

• Like 5

Speaking of sculpture, Andrew Durham Gallery, where I am director, located at 1821 West Alabama, currently has a beautiful sculpture exhibition featuring work by six artist with ties to Texas. The exhibition will remain through December 2nd. 

Please Come by.

Wed. - Sat. 11:00 - 6:00

You can get a preview on Glasstire's  five minute video tours.

• Like 6