6 minutes ago, rgarza said:

Just a couple of shots of art that has already been installed and the entrance gardens starting to come together.

I am soooo excited about the opening of this building and yet I have no idea how long it will be before I actually get to see it in person. 😩

• Like 5

48 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

No.  Mid-2017.  I saw they mentioned 2015 in that video (later they refer to 2017).  I suspect 2015 is when they started the overall project (i.e., started redevelopment of the Glassell)

This is correct. 2015 is when they started the overall project, starting with the Glassell school. There have been numerous unforeseen delays (Harvey, COVID, etc.) that have made this into a five year project instead of the originally projected 2019 date. 

• Like 3

Its almost spoilers to see the 3rd floor ceilings now, its that interesting. It seems like the light changes a bit depending on the viewing angle? Or is that the camera? If it does change, that would be so cool.

Also, all that modern/avant-garde art in the last picture @rgarza is intriguing, especially that yellow cylindrical container with the canvas on top 🧐

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Two pedestrian tunnels between the Nancy and Rich Kinder Building and the Caroline Wiess Law Building, and between the Glassell School of Art and the Kinder Building

Wonder if they made these tunnels like the one under Main St.

Campus Map | 2019

https://www.mfah.org/about/campus-redevelopment?utm_source=social&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=kinder_general-admission&utm_content=a&fbclid=IwAR1CpSnyZosX0FMyDW0kUuoDOkBzahJBuBMMA8TYNufufwKea9-lgiKGH9E#new-gallery-building

• Like 4

@hindesky it’s a bronze piece by Cristina Iglesias. You can see some work of hers online that’s similar to this one. The tent is to keep leaves and other detritus out until they finish welding, grinding, painting, and finishing it. Two more weeks until the grand opening! 

Edited by rgarza
  • Like 4

23 minutes ago, rgarza said:

@hindesky it’s a bronze piece by Cristina Iglesias. You can see some work of hers online that’s similar to this one. The tent is to keep leaves and other detritus out until they finish welding, grinding, painting, and finishing it. Two more weeks until the grand opening! 

So those rock looking things are actually metal?

• Like 1

@hindesky yes, it’s all bronze sculpted to look like rock with tree roots/limbs throughout. If I understood correctly, it’s modeled after an actual place somewhere in Spain, but Spanish from an actual Spaniard is a little hard for my Tejano ears to parse 😁 especially with needle guns, heavy equipment, and traffic in the background!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, clutchcity94 said:

Looks like the scorching hot rooftop of the Glassell School is fixed! Will be really cool once the vines grow in and provide some coverage.

1F8EF306-0E23-452A-859D-611283AA4B64.jpeg

Whats going on here? Kind of looks like they built a wooden shade structure below the trellis, but that cant be right.

• Like 2