Shell Energy Stadium

Subdude

The name is going to be BBVA Compass Stadium...

BBVA Compass Stadium will be the name of the Dynamo's new stadium, the Chronicle has learned.

BBVA Compass, an international bank with dozens of branches in Houston, has signed a 10-year, $20 million naming rights deal on the Dynamo's new stadium, which will open on May 12, 2012.

The Dynamo will officially announce the deal at a joint press conference Wednesday afternoon with officials from BBVA Compass, which is also a title sponsor of Spain's vaunted soccer league, La Liga.

http://www.chron.com...amo-2401086.php

They've also started putting up the aluminum skin around the stadium. There's a cool video here talking about how it's done, as well as some updated pictures on their Facebook page. It's coming along very nicely, can't wait until it opens.

http://www.houstondynamo.com/news/2011/12/construction-crew-begins-installation-stadium-exterior-skin

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I love the look of the new stadium... I just wish I could enjoy soccer. I've tried. A part of me worries that once the stadium opens (and people pour in to see the stadium), their reaction will be like on the Simpsons http://www.blinkx.com/watch-video/simpsons-explain-soccer/LX4RzIMfZsf03GZpqLs1Bw

Edited by brian0123
  • Like 1

If this were the Dynamo's first year in Houston, your concern might be valid. However, after 6 years in Houston, and with attendance averaging 17,694 last year in an admitted dump that is Robertson Stadium, there is absolutely no basis to think that your prediction will occur. New stadiums add a bump to attendance. The more likely scenario is a near sellout every game.

They average over 17,000 a game?! That's more than the Rockets have averaged this year, smh.

Well, let's remember that no sport in the world is more popular - in terms of both players and fans - than soccer/football. Houston is home to a large number of latin americans, too. I'm sure they make up a large portion of the regular attendees.

This is a good-sized stadium. Capacity of 22,000 puts it at #4 in a ranking of soccer-specific stadiums in the MLS - with only LA, NYC and Toronto having larger capacities.

And, in my opinion, it's the best-looking of the lot.

Edited by Simbha
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Quick question (sorry if it was answered earlier and I didn't see it) - are there cup holders on the backs of the chairs? I remember there being complaints that the seats had no cup holders on the armrests...but while I was at the rodeo I noticed they were on the backs of the seats. I can't tell from the photos, and I'd be curious as to their reasoning for not including them if that's the case.

Quick question (sorry if it was answered earlier and I didn't see it) - are there cup holders on the backs of the chairs? I remember there being complaints that the seats had no cup holders on the armrests...but while I was at the rodeo I noticed they were on the backs of the seats. I can't tell from the photos, and I'd be curious as to their reasoning for not including them if that's the case.

From the looks of the most recent photos, I don't even see arm rests, much less cup holders.