Shell Energy Stadium

Subdude

Houston is one big stadium museum. Lots of important ground breaking stadiums in this city. If there is one thing Houston should be given credit for and should make the most out of, it is our remarkable collection of stadiums. One more good reason to SAVE THE ASTRODOME! It keeps our collection in tact. Houston is second to none in this category.

• Like 1

This is the best article I have read so far that is less filled with quotes:

The Compass was created by Populous, the architects of Wembley and the London 2012 Olympic Stadium. Inside, it's European-style, which is to say it lacks gimmicks and has no theme-park pretensions. It's a stadium for supporters who want to watch the match from their seats rather than from televisions on concourses that are more like shopping malls than gangways. One whose character will be defined by the fans, not the facilities.

http://www.guardian....s?newsfeed=true

edit: I did not know that TSU will have it's own locker room. Very glad they did that

628x471.jpg

http://www.chron.com/sports/college-football/article/For-TSU-move-into-new-home-is-like-time-warp-3537418.php#photo-2902847

Edited by lockmat

And to add on to what RedScare said, there is also a sizable Hispanic population here, such as myself, that absolutely loves football (soccer). That population is growing year after year so to say that this could all fall apart once they move into the new place, I highly highly highhhhhly doubt it.

Go to the Kentucky Derby if you want to watch horse racing.. Houston's the last place you think of for such a sport.

I am married into a Hispanic family, and both of my children consider themselves hispanic, however none of the extended family members, from the valley to San Antonio, Austin or Victoria watch soccer. (football, baseball, or golf is the prefered family spectator sport). I doubt that any of them could even tell you the name of the Houston soccer team, so I don't think you can pin the future of soccer attendance on a growing hispanic attendance.

Sports stadium planning is a definitely plus for Houstonians. Regardless of who is attending the games, The simple fact is that more people have BBVA Compass as an entertainment option because it's in downtown. It's right at the heart of our mass transit network so Houstonians without a car can also get there easily. This cannot be said for the FC Dallas Stadium which is in Frisco (27 miles from Downtown Dallas) or even for Cowboys Stadium. As transit improves in our city and more people choose to use transit, we'll look back on these stadia as one of the best things Houston has ever done to promote urban development.

• Like 1

I got some pictures/videos from the game Saturday that I will post in the morning or early afternoon tomorrow. Beautiful day and the stadium looked great with everyone there. Of course I'm glad we got the win and it seemed appropriate that Brad Davis (one of two original Houston Dynamo players) scored the first goal at BBVA.

There was a bit of a hiccup when they were removing a black tarp they had covering the 2 MLS championship banners but if that's the biggest issue of the day I think you can call it a successful opening.

• Like 1

didn't go to the game, but rode by the stadium at about 3pm on saturday, TONS of fans everywhere. definitely more than for a baseball game, lucky's was packed, to be expected for an opening day of any stadium. I assume this year pretty much every home game will be of this level, will be interesting to see if it continues in years to come.

went to the game and my god it was HOT!!! i will second think about going to another daytime game...wow....but i am betting night games will be fine as the FEW times the sun went behind the clouds it was awesome!!! haha! loved the stadium though and the spirit/energy made the day incredibly fun overall! Here is a photo i took: (sorry if too big!) 552879_10150899315073905_720233904_9605718_198235094_n.jpg

• Like 1

Hopefully there aren't many day games scheduled.

There are 2 more, at 1:30 pm on May 26, and at 4:00 pm on June 16. For reference, last year's high temps on those 2 days were 98 and 99 degrees. Luckily, last year was a record breaking year, so you can expect more like 88 to 91 degrees this year. Of course, Saturday was only 83, so, if you thought THAT was hot,...

Yea you can't forecast this year's temps based on last year's ... last year was insane ... haha ..... I was planning on going to one of the future day games and was looking for seats in the shade. Instead gonna go to a night game ... :)

• Like 1

The most significant difference I noticed in the stadium were the seats. They really encouraged you to sit up straight. They were still comfortable, just different. Also, the goal we scored was awesome! We really did dominate them. We had like three times as many shots on goals as they did. The other stat they kept up on the scoreboard were corner kicks. I'm not sure why though; I guess because it's one of the easier opportunities to score?

Yes the typical easy to look at stats that you see for a soccer match is (obviously) the score, % of possession, shots/shots on goal, and corners. In addition to usually representing an opportunity to creat a chance to score, a corner is also indicitave that one team was on the attack to draw the corner or put the team under pressure enough that the other team was forced to concede the corner. A team that dominates the number of corner kicks is often the team that is dictating play and getting more into attack. Sometimes you will also see number of fouls, and that kind of thing as well.

Edited by JJxvi
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just heard Brian Ching and Matt Thomas on 790 talking about the "pitch" size at BBVA being smaller than other stadiums. From what I've found out so far the pitch is the field. Are the field dimensions the legal playing field or does they also include the grass all the way to the walls?

That makes no sense to me at all. Why would you allow different size fields? I guess you could say the same about baseball, but I guess since I always thought soccer fields were all the same size, it doesn't make sense to me.

I just heard Brian Ching and Matt Thomas on 790 talking about the "pitch" size at BBVA being smaller than other stadiums. From what I've found out so far the pitch is the field. Are the field dimensions the legal playing field or does they also include the grass all the way to the walls?

That makes no sense to me at all. Why would you allow different size fields? I guess you could say the same about baseball, but I guess since I always thought soccer fields were all the same size, it doesn't make sense to me.

I had always assumed that the fields were similar to football, specific dimensions, however, FIFA says different http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/federation/lotg_en_55753.pdf (page 6)

there's a min/max size for length and width of the playing surface, goals, penalty box, etc have very specific dimensions though.

interesting!

The surface area is large enough for a typical FIFA pitch. The Dynamo have striped the field at a width of 70 yards instead of 74 or 75 as a tactical preference. The coach feels that a narrow picth suits the tactics and players on the team.